Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
3-4 points questions. What's the difference?
Thread poster: Veronica Martinez
Veronica Martinez
Veronica Martinez  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 16, 2009

Hi everyone!
I swear I searched for this in the forum and read the KudoZ instructions, but I can't find it!

I've always been given 4 points for each chosen answer, either automatically, by the asker or the community, until the last question that assigned me 3 points. It was in the "Others" field.

How come?

Mohamed Kamel
Mohamed Kamel  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 08:49
English to Arabic
Simply, the grade is 1-4 points scale Sep 16, 2009

Dear Veronica,

The asker - when closing a question - has a 1-4 grade scale to evaluate the answers; he is freely choose to award the answerer from 1 to 4 points according to his own evaluation for the given answers.

Meanwhile, if you asked a question and needed to close it and choose the best answer that fits most your context, you'll see that scale

Hope this helps.
Mohamed Kamel

Veronica Martinez
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ohhhh Sep 16, 2009

Ahh, thanks for clearing that up.
I actually asked a couple of questions like 2 years ago, and don't remember the choosing page

I find the system kind of strange though. If it's chosen as best answer, shouldn't it be awarded the top?
I mean, if I get a 3, does it mean my answer is "not so good"?
And a 2 would be "I chose it as best but I don't really like it"?...
See more
Ahh, thanks for clearing that up.
I actually asked a couple of questions like 2 years ago, and don't remember the choosing page

I find the system kind of strange though. If it's chosen as best answer, shouldn't it be awarded the top?
I mean, if I get a 3, does it mean my answer is "not so good"?
And a 2 would be "I chose it as best but I don't really like it"?
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:49
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
It is in the FAQ Sep 16, 2009

Not too easy to find, though, it took me some time, too.

http://www.proz.com/faq/2893#2893

2.23 - What is the criteria for the number of points (1-4) I should award to the selected answer?

When deciding how many points to award, please consider this scale as a guideline:

4: Answer was acceptable, explanation was good, reference was provided (or not needed)
3: Answer was acceptable, explanation was good, but reference was lacking
2: Answer was acceptable
1: Answer was somewhat helpful

Liliana Galiano
Liliana Galiano
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
It depends on the asker Sep 16, 2009

You are right to ask Veronica, most times people award the 4 Kudoz for answers where
there is no reference or explanation, but that depends on the asker. Now, if you think the asker
has been unfair or the like, you can always filter that asker buy clicking on dashboard. I always do
it to remember askers with whom I have not agreed in the awarding of kudoz, that's all.

Regards,

Liliana

[Edited at 2009-09-16 18:19 GMT]

Veronica Martinez
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!! Sep 16, 2009

Thank you so much Katalin!

I still think it's not a very good system...

Ivana UK
Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:49
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Looks like I've been giving the wrong grades then! Sep 16, 2009

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

Not too easy to find, though, it took me some time, too.

http://www.proz.com/faq/2893#2893

2.23 - What is the criteria for the number of points (1-4) I should award to the selected answer?

When deciding how many points to award, please consider this scale as a guideline:

4: Answer was acceptable, explanation was good, reference was provided (or not needed)
3: Answer was acceptable, explanation was good, but reference was lacking
2: Answer was acceptable
1: Answer was somewhat helpful

- and for the last seven years!!

I almost always give a 4 if I feel it's the right translation, irrespective of whether reference links and explanations are given.

If there are no anwers worthy of a 4 (or say a 3) then I'd probably close without grading.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
I look at it in terms of usefulness Sep 17, 2009

If a translation is provided that you use as is, or with only slight modification, then to my mind it merits a score of four, irrespective of whether it has been accompanied by a meter-long scroll of references or a lengthy explanation.

Lesser grades would indicate lesser degrees of usefulness for the "best answer" to a question. Thus, if only two answers were offered to your post and one is ridiculous but the other is "on the right track," then I think it would make sense to give
... See more
If a translation is provided that you use as is, or with only slight modification, then to my mind it merits a score of four, irrespective of whether it has been accompanied by a meter-long scroll of references or a lengthy explanation.

Lesser grades would indicate lesser degrees of usefulness for the "best answer" to a question. Thus, if only two answers were offered to your post and one is ridiculous but the other is "on the right track," then I think it would make sense to give the latter answer a score of between 1 and 3, again depending on how useful it was to you.

To me it only makes sense to close without grading when none of the answers were in the least bit helpful.

This deviates somewhat from the official rules, I know, but seems to reflect common practice in the pairs in which I participate. It is hardly a matter of great transcendence, but in my view the rules should be revised.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:49
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Me too, I look at it in terms of usefulness... Sep 17, 2009

and if I decide to use the translation provided I always give a four, irrespective of references or explanations. A score of three means, for me, that the answer put me on the right track. I have never given lesser grades.

polyglot45
polyglot45
English to French
+ ...
lack of reference is inevitable Sep 17, 2009

when people are asking for helping with the translation of expressions. Logically - according to the RuleZ - one ought to demote an answer for lack of reference even in such cases but I personally consider that churlish and stupid.
Added to which, if references are something googled up for the sake of giving a reference, frankly I think 4 points is OTT - but I understand why people do it.... given the RuleZ

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Use of references often silly and unhelpful Sep 17, 2009

The cutting and pasting of a long list of references from Yahoo or Google is generally not very helpful. If the point to be made is that a term is commonly used, then simply giving the frequency of the search engine output makes more sense, and this is what I generally do. The Asker can then go and confirm this for him/herself.

An even worse practice with respect to references is that of not paying attention to the trustworthiness of the source. After all, if someone posts an answer
... See more
The cutting and pasting of a long list of references from Yahoo or Google is generally not very helpful. If the point to be made is that a term is commonly used, then simply giving the frequency of the search engine output makes more sense, and this is what I generally do. The Asker can then go and confirm this for him/herself.

An even worse practice with respect to references is that of not paying attention to the trustworthiness of the source. After all, if someone posts an answer to a complex medical term I've posted and supports the answer with 3 references from machine translations generated from Albanian websites and 2 references from secondary students' term papers, it does NOT exactly inspire confidence.

[Edited at 2009-09-17 17:03 GMT]
Collapse

Veronica Martinez
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree! Sep 17, 2009

I think the ruleZ should be revised too.

I saw questions asking, for instance, what would be the best translation for onomatopoeias, such as Wow!, or Smack!
What reference will you post? You can suggest Guau, Uaaa, Chuic, Mua, I don't know practically anything, the decision is up to the asker.

If the answer is a good one, either with the appropriate references (not students' papers, for sure), or with no references because they wouldn't add anything, the it should
... See more
I think the ruleZ should be revised too.

I saw questions asking, for instance, what would be the best translation for onomatopoeias, such as Wow!, or Smack!
What reference will you post? You can suggest Guau, Uaaa, Chuic, Mua, I don't know practically anything, the decision is up to the asker.

If the answer is a good one, either with the appropriate references (not students' papers, for sure), or with no references because they wouldn't add anything, the it should be a 4, because it's the "best answer".
If you score a 1 to 3 mark, then it's not the best answer, it's a "so-so answer" or "on-the-right-track-but-I-didn't-use-it answer".
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
No ProZ.com rule requires that Sep 17, 2009

polyglot45 wrote:

when people are asking for helping with the translation of expressions. Logically - according to the RuleZ - one ought to demote an answer for lack of reference even in such cases but I personally consider that churlish and stupid.

This requirement is not included in any ProZ.com rule.

What was posted above is a guideline, included in a frequently asked question.

Regards,
Enrique

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Word left out, I think Sep 17, 2009

Robert Forstag wrote:

After all, if someone posts an answer to a complex medical term I've posted and supports the answer with 3 references from machine translations generated from Albanian websites and 2 references from secondary students' term papers, it does exactly inspire confidence.

"Does not exactly inspire confidence", at least not mine --

[Edited at 2009-09-17 16:06 GMT]

Fabio Said
Fabio Said  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:49
German to Portuguese
+ ...
People consistently giving 1, 2 points Sep 17, 2009

The 1-4 grading system is not in itself wrong. What is wrong is when some people consistently give 1 and 2 points for, like, 90% of their questions. Consistently, over several years. This smells like cheating. Every time I see that happen I just filter the "cheaters". And let them go on cheating on others, since there are no kudoz rules to stop them.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

3-4 points questions. What's the difference?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »