Decided to stop contributing in KudoZ (rules system does not allow for professional interaction)
Thread poster: Siegfried Armbruster

Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:22
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Sep 21, 2009

I enjoyed helping others and I loved being at the top of the Kudoz ladder in my specialties. Over the years I supported the idea that the Kudoz KOG should be cleaned and improved. I raised my voice against the in my opinion obvious shortcomings of Wikiwords and GBK and I more and more became convinced that the Kudoz community needs some ability to teach newcomers.

My current impression is, that the ridgid rules system does not allow for a professional interaction. I therefore decided to stop my contribution in Kudoz.

People who do have a terminology question can continue to contact me through my profile page. I will help if I can, but not in a system that puts the rules above the content.

Siegfried

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-09-21 14:23 GMT]

Direct link

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:22
German to English
Communication Sep 21, 2009

Siegfried Armbruster wrote:

I enjoyed helping others and I loved being at the top of the Kudoz ladder in my specialties. Over the years I supported the idea that the Kudoz KOG should be cleaned and improved. I raised my voice against the in my opinion obvious shortcomings of Wikiwords and GBK and I more and more became convinced that the Kudoz community needs some ability to teach newcomers.

My current impression is, that the ridgid rules system does not allow for a professional interaction. I therefore decided to stop my contribution in Kudoz.

People who do have a terminology question can continue to contact me through my profile page. I will help if I can, but not in a system that puts the rules above the content.

Siegfried

Yes, Siegfried, what a pity.

The argument that the objective of KudoZ is to ‘help’ askers fails to take into account that it’s a two-way street. Without top-notch professionals volunteering their time and effort, the ‘help’ that askers can expect will be worthless. I would think that quality would be one of the site's top priorities, but it certainly doesn't seem that way. It’s time to start focusing on what attracts the best and brightest to KudoZ and what makes them decide to give it a big pass. The focus should be more on the quality of help that askers are getting under the current system than on shielding askers from scrutiny. The quality of the answers depends entirely on who is answering the questions.

I don’t think members/users will ever get anywhere with their suggestions for improving KudoZ unless the site decides to invest in a translation professional who can discuss and respond to the finer aspects of what experienced KudoZ contributors have been saying about the feature for the past several years.

Direct link

Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:22
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
What are your objections? Sep 21, 2009

Hi Siegfried,

I'm just curious as to what your objections to the Kudoz system are. You and I work in different language pairs and I don't assiduously follow most of the threads on the Forum, so I am unaware of the issues you refer to. I imagine others are as well.

Bob

[Edited at 2009-09-21 14:13 GMT]

Direct link

Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nothing is wrong with Kudoz - it is the Rulez Sep 21, 2009

Robert Forstag wrote:
I'm just curious as to what your objections to the Kudoz system are.

The Kudoz system is basically ok, otherwise I would not have contributed this long.

This morning I entered a founded disagree, with an added remark that a confidence level of 5 for an answer concerning a question about a 2 character acronym (for which I know at least 3 different meanings in the given context) and without any references supporting this answer, is in my opinion not justified.

My disagree just vanished. Ok, I had violated the RuleZ, but my "disagree" is valid and the mod or staff could have informed me, that they do not like my "bad behavior". I would have changed my entry, no problem. But deleting a founded disagree is just stealing information from all people that contribute to Kudoz. And that is what I mean, RuleZ have become more important than information.
In my opinion Kudoz was and should be about terminology work, it does in my opinion not harm any newcomer if somebody tells him to rethink his selection of a confidence level.
I do not like to work in such an environment, but I can handle it. But if the rules get more value than the content of the interaction, ... not with me.

I hope this answers your question. I'm afraid as far as I understand the rules, I'm not allowed to go into any details.

Direct link

Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Why has this forum thread sort of disappeared? Sep 21, 2009

Hi Siegfried,

I read your original post. When I came back to have another look it had disappeared from my home page. I did eventually find it - but not under 'Recent posts'; I had to go further, to the 'Forums about ProZ'.

I can see why the subject might have needed changing (though I rather liked the Douglas Adamas quote ) - but why has it vanished from my home page? I'm having e-mail notification problems at the moment (have submitted a support ticket) and am wondering if the problem has spread to my home page...?

I'd like to follow the thread, but that's a lot easier from either the home page, or, at least, the "Recent forums' page.

Caryl

Direct link

Helen Shiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:22
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
Disappeared Sep 21, 2009

Yes, this thread has been removed from the 'recent posts' section.

I understand how you feel, Siegfried; I experienced something similar recently. What a shame to lose people of your calibre!

Kind regards

Helen

Direct link

Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:22
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I don't understand why your "Disagree" was deleted Sep 21, 2009

I've done what you have quite a few times. In fact, about the only time I post a "Disagree" is when an answer is both obviously wrong AND the confidence level is high.

What rule was violated? Maybe it is the Moderator who needs to be set straight.

Direct link

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:22
German to English
Punishable offense Sep 21, 2009

Even the slightest mention of a person's confidence level is strictly taboo. It's enforced by some moderators and not by others. It's one of those punishable offenses.

http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/141739-punishable_offenses_in_kudoz.html

Direct link

Enrique
Local time: 23:22
SITE STAFF
Locking this thread Sep 21, 2009

The peer comment was hidden because it was not in line with site rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_answ/3.7#3.7

This situation is addressed in a dedicated FAQ

4.5 - Can I comment on an answerer's confidence level in my peer comment? [Direct link]

No. Peer comments should be purely linguistic in nature (see KudoZ rule 3.5). Making comments or insinuations regarding an answerer's confidence level would not be in line with KudoZ rule 3.7.

I am locking this thread because it is not in line with site rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/14#14

Regards,
Enrique

Direct link

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Decided to stop contributing in KudoZ (rules system does not allow for professional interaction)

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search