Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
New interface and willingness to answer KudoZ questions
Thread poster: Anthony Green

Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:54
Italian to English
Oct 2, 2003

One of the things that has changed with the new interface is being able to see immediately whether a KudoZ asker is a "taker" or a "giver".
I don't know whether other people feel the same way, but when I see that someone has asked 55 questions and answered 200, I feel much more inclined to answer their questions (especially when it means going and looking things up), than for someone who has asked 55 questions and answered none.

Was that the reason for the inclusion of these figures in the new interface? Do others ever take any notice of these figures? And am I being cruel and heartless (again)?

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxIanW
German to English
+ ...
Question of give and take Oct 2, 2003

Fully agree with Anthony - it's a question of give and take.

Pamela Peralta  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 04:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
new interface Oct 2, 2003

Anthony Green wrote:
I don't know whether other people feel the same way, but when I see that someone has asked 55 questions and answered 200, I feel much more inclined to answer their questions (especially when it means going and looking things up), than for someone who has asked 55 questions and answered none.
Was that the reason for the inclusion of these figures in the new interface? Do others ever take any notice of these figures?

Oh yes, I've taken notice of these figures. I've seen people that have asked over 100 questions and answered 0! And yes, I've got that feeling too, why help this person when he/she has made no effort to help others. But, if I know the answer right away and for the sake of the Glossary I suggest an answer.
Pamela

Oleg Prots  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 12:54
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
I've seen 571/1 ratio... :^) Oct 2, 2003

This issue was touched upon in the Russian forum, and quite a few colleagues said it didn't matter much for them.
However, these figures are pretty relevant for me. Maybe I am heartless and cruel too... :^)

Sonia Gomes  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:24
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Kudoz Questions Oct 2, 2003

I am a person who has benefited a great deal from the Kudoz Questions. I have asked a lot of questions and have always had a lot of help from others.

I would sincerely love to help someone out but the speed of my connection is very slow, by the time I have logged into the question and made an attempt at answering it, 10 people have said all I have to say and all I can do is Agree with someone. Another problem is that I would love to give references and by the time I do it....., it is too late.
Please forgive me, if there is any way I could help I would gladly do it.

Thank you to all the help.

Regards

Sonia

schmurr  Identity Verified
Italian to German
+ ...
where are they? where are Oct 2, 2003

those figures?? I tried everything, even switched to the new design, which promptly blocked internet (because that always happens when you answer KudoZ in the new design on a Mac)

Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
I'll tell you if you promise not to tell the others what mine are! Oct 2, 2003

No, I think it's a Mac compatibility problem. That will teach you to use infinitely superior technology!

Anthony (an Apple II user from the early 80s)

Martin Schmurr wrote:

those figures?? I tried everything, even switched to the new design, which promptly blocked internet (because that always happens when you answer KudoZ in the new design on a Mac)

Oleg Prots  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 12:54
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Visible in new design only Oct 2, 2003

Martin Schmurr wrote:

where are those figures?? I tried everything, even switched to the new design...

In new KudoZ design, below the Asker's username, there is a line: Q/A: xx/yy, where xx is a number of questions asked by this person, and yy is a number of answers provided.

Oleg

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:54
Flemish to English
+ ...
Play the game or not. Oct 2, 2003

I have 4 points because I refuse to play "this game" as long as the asker is also the one to judge whether the answer is correct or not and eversince I copied a definition from a standard dictionary and the answer was not chosen by the asker. If such an answer is not correct than I do not know what. So, I shall not ask questions in the future. I do not like to be forced to play the game.

giogi
Dear Antony Oct 2, 2003

agree with you...even though I'm not sure of being on the right side...

giogi
hello! Oct 2, 2003

Williamson wrote:

I have 4 points because I refuse to play "this game" as long as the asker is also the one to judge whether the answer is correct or not and eversince I copied a definition from a standard dictionary and the answer was not chosen by the asker. If such an answer is not correct than I do not know what. So, I shall not ask questions in the future. I do not like to be forced to play the game.

Sometimes I feel the same way, but, you know,Proz is made of human beings and human mind is a bag of different nuances.

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:54
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Nobody is forced Oct 2, 2003

Williamson wrote:

Many problems submitted as KudoZ questions demonstrates that dictionaries not always have the answer, and not always it is the best possible. In many case it's a matter of linguistic sensitivity and choice.

As for your "refusal" to play, well... nobody is forced.

Moreover, the askers are not always "clueless", as you depict them.
In many cases they are missing something from their experience or reference sources, or may just be suffering of a momentary lack of inspiration.

Gianfranco

[Edited at 2003-10-02 14:52]

schmurr  Identity Verified
Italian to German
+ ...
but WHERE are they?? Oct 2, 2003

[quote]Oleg Prots wrote:
…below the Asker's username, there is a line: Q/A: xx/yy…

I switched to the new design again and looked everywhere: home page, other member's pages, Your Pro All Pro page, I opened questions - nothing!

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 06:54
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Martin Oct 2, 2003

If you want, send me an e-mail (I'll have your address), and I'll send to you a screen-shot.

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Martin... Oct 2, 2003

Hola,

In the New Design mode it is located next to the asker's logo/photo. There is a little magnifying glass (just next to the user's name). If you click there....:-)

Cheers,

JL
19 asked / 1500 answered

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New interface and willingness to answer KudoZ questions

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search