Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:32
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Sep 29, 2009

Dear colleagues and staff,

I've noticed that when I post a Kudoz question on a weekend, it isn't really noticed (because the valued colleagues whose input I'd need aren't around), and when the working week starts, my question is easily buried under new ones.

Apart from the obvious "don't post on weekends", is there any possibility to "bump" Kudoz questions like there is in fora?

Best regards,
Erik

Direct link Reply with quote

Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:32
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No real alternative Sep 29, 2009

Unfortunately, you don't really have any options. You can repost a term if you do not feel you have received satisfactory suggestions, but if you are able to do this, you might as well wait and initially post it when there is more traffic.

Other possibilities:

1. Develop quid pro quo relationships with colleagues you can ask for direct help from, while offering the same in return.

2. Learn to better utilize non-Kudoz research strategies. After all, in at least some (maybe most) cases, the help you receive is something you could have figured out by yourself with the required effort and ingenuity.

All the best to you!

Amy Duncan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:32
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Hmmmm.... Sep 29, 2009

That's strange...I've never had a question go unanswered on a weekend.

Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks anyway Sep 29, 2009

Robert Forstag wrote:

Unfortunately, you don't really have any options. You can repost a term if you do not feel you have received satisfactory suggestions, but if you are able to do this, you might as well wait and initially post it when there is more traffic.

Sure.

Other possibilities:

1. Develop quid pro quo relationships with colleagues you can ask for direct help from, while offering the same in return.

2. Learn to better utilize non-Kudoz research strategies. After all, in at least some (maybe most) cases, the help you receive is something you could have figured out by yourself with the required effort and ingenuity.

I hope you're not implying I don't do that anyway. Also, this would of course be an argument to stop Kudoz altogether, for everyone.

Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
English to French
Rules Sep 29, 2009

Robert Forstag wrote:

You can repost a term if you do not feel you have received satisfactory suggestions

No, you can't ask the same question twice. It will be removed by a moderator.

Stéphanie

Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:32
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
@ Efreitag: You are asking for a magic pill Sep 29, 2009

Sorry you did not find my suggestions useful. There is really no "magic pill" here that allows you to get around the problem you've identified. And my guess is that if you do closely evaluate your last 30 Kudoz questions, you will likely find that you could have found the answers to at least 10 of the terms without posting.

I am also sure that you have had the experience (I certainly have) of receiving a number of responses to a query that are all unsatisfactory. What do you do then?

It is nice to have this resource, but I think it is important to appreciate its limitations as well as its utility. I also think that every translator needs to set the goal for him or herself of gradually decreasing reliance on the system.

But, please, you need not post again telling me you don't like what I am saying. If I don't hear back from you, I will simply assume that you find these observations every bit as unhelpful as you found my previous suggestions.

Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Robert, Sep 29, 2009

I don't know where that harsh tone comes from (maybe I was too tight-lipped in my posts, and I'm writing in a foreign language).

However, I must say that I find your reply somewhat condescending. Of course, upon looking back, I could have answered one or another question myself (I'm not going to count now), but that's the way it is when you have a mental block. I'm sure it happens to others as well. Consider yourself very lucky if it doesn't happen to you (which I can't judge, as I don't speak spanish).

Anyway, I'm not asking for a "magic pill" and I'm not complaining. I just asked whether such a possibility exists. If not, I'll get along well and indeed try not to post during weekends (like I said in my original post).

Again, sorry if I've caused the escalation I'm encountering here.

Best regards,
Erik

[Bearbeitet am 2009-09-29 14:25 GMT]

xxxAguas de Mar
Reposting not the same as asking twice. Sep 29, 2009

Stéphanie Soudais wrote:

Robert Forstag wrote:

You can repost a term if you do not feel you have received satisfactory suggestions

No, you can't ask the same question twice. It will be removed by a moderator.

Stéphanie

AFAIK, one can close a question for lack of sufficient answer, and then go ahead and REPOST the same term. This is not the same as asking a question twice simultaneously.

[Edited at 2009-09-29 13:43 GMT]

xxxAguas de Mar
Different pairs, different audiences Sep 29, 2009

Amy Duncan wrote:

That's strange...I've never had a question go unanswered on a weekend.

I guess this depends on the question's pairs. Questions in the English-Spanish pair and viceversa usually have answers all the time, but the poster works from Dutch to German, and I guess there are not as many Prozians working in the same pair; thus his problem.

[Edited at 2009-09-29 13:52 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:32
Member (2004)
English to Italian
no solution... Sep 29, 2009

unfortunately...

BTW, I found Robert's comments interesting... so, being quite a nosy person, I checked the number of questions asked by you, Erik - 207 since July 2006 - and by Robert - 704 since October 2003... so, it's an average of 5.4/month for Erik and of 9.7/month for Robert...

So, who's been more efficient with the searches?

And before you check mine, I only asked 56 since April 2004...

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:32
English to Japanese
+ ...
Depends on the language pair, maybe. Sep 29, 2009

I can't say this for sure, but maybe it has something to do with the language pair one works in. Even on a weekday, when you see all the KudoZ questions posted, there are at least two to three pairs of Spa-Eng or Eng-Spa, or Ger-Eng, French-Eng, etc., but not Zulu to Swahili, or Esperanto to Old English. So I think the probability of receiving an answer depends on the number of members including basic site users who are registered under certain language pairs.

Seems like Aguas de Marco has posted the same idea ten minutes earlier than I did...

[Edited at 2009-09-29 15:01 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Bumping" of Kudoz questions

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search