Reverse language pair button
Thread poster: Terry Richards

Terry Richards
France
Local time: 09:08
French to English
+ ...
Oct 14, 2009

I just had a situation where I found a question that needed the language pair reversing. I clicked the button to reverse the pair (so far, so good...) and so did somebody else at more or less the same time! So, the pair got reversed twice and finished up back where it started.

Might I suggest one of the following options?

1) When the button is created, it is tagged as "change to languages X->Y" (possibly behind the scenes) rather than just reversing the pair. That way, the second of two 'simultaneous' requests would simply have no effect.

2) A time stamp could be set up on the form (if there isn't one already) so that a switch pair request could be ignored if the page is older than the latest change.

3) Pair switching could be disabled for X minutes after a successful switch. This wouldn't completely prevent the problem but it would probably get 90% of them.

4) The button could be disabled if a pair switch is processed, although this is probably more trouble than it is worth.

Terry.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
... or just press the button one more time? Oct 15, 2009

This situation is so rare that I would not spend a lot of time worrying about it!

icon_wink.gif

Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
...that's true but ... Oct 15, 2009

What if we both pressed the button again? A fun game like that could go on for hoursicon_smile.gif

Anyway, it's not keeping me awake at nighticon_smile.gif

Terry.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reverse language pair button

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search