Reverse language pair button
Thread poster: Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
Local time: 07:57
French to English
+ ...
Oct 14, 2009

I just had a situation where I found a question that needed the language pair reversing. I clicked the button to reverse the pair (so far, so good...) and so did somebody else at more or less the same time! So, the pair got reversed twice and finished up back where it started.

Might I suggest one of the following options?

1) When the button is created, it is tagged as "change to languages X->Y" (possibly behind the scenes) rather than just reversing the pair. That way, the second of two 'simultaneous' requests would simply have no effect.

2) A time stamp could be set up on the form (if there isn't one already) so that a switch pair request could be ignored if the page is older than the latest change.

3) Pair switching could be disabled for X minutes after a successful switch. This wouldn't completely prevent the problem but it would probably get 90% of them.

4) The button could be disabled if a pair switch is processed, although this is probably more trouble than it is worth.

Terry.

Direct link Reply with quote

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
... or just press the button one more time? Oct 15, 2009

This situation is so rare that I would not spend a lot of time worrying about it!

Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
...that's true but ... Oct 15, 2009

What if we both pressed the button again? A fun game like that could go on for hours

Anyway, it's not keeping me awake at night

Terry.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reverse language pair button

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search