Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Should the "Pro/Non-Pro" classification of KudoZ questions be eliminated?
Thread poster: Barbara Cochran, MFA
Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:06
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Opinions and response from staff can be found in previous threads Oct 28, 2009

Femme wrote:
Want Opinions From Other Users On this Issue, Nancy 21:39

That's why I introduced it as a forum topic.

Again, I want to know if others want the "Pro/No-Pro" option to stay or go, and their reasons for their point of view.

I'm entitled to give my reasons, if I so choose.

Please refer to the title of my topic.

You know, if your purpose is to know what others think, perhaps it is a good idea to check the forums for the same topic, perhaps it had been discussed before.
In this case, this very topic was discussed in three threads recently, one is here:

http://www.proz.com/topic/140239?start=60

another one is here:

http://www.proz.com/topic/147713

and the third one is here:

http://www.proz.com/topic/145903?start=0

Please note that in this third thread, Enrique announced that there is a planned change in the system, making it impossible for Mods or KudoZ editors to change the PRO-Non-Pro classification singlehandedly. It will only be possible to change it by three votes.

Unfortunately this has not been implemented yet, this is what Enrique said about it:
This modification has been already requested but it does not have a high priority assigned. It will be implemented as soon as the resources needed become available.

Perhaps there is a need to elevate that priority?
If you submit a support ticket, it may actually help that cause.
Katalin

[Edited at 2009-10-28 03:32 GMT]

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:06
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Elliminate the user Oct 28, 2009

femme wrote:

Hello All,

In view of that fact that there are obviously at least one, and probably more individuals who abuse the "Pro/Non-Pro" classification of KudoZ questions, should this website eliminate the option together?

No, if we talk about eliminations, then the site should eliminate those users after a set number of warnings.

The reason I ask is because, in my case, and probably in others, when I enter a question, there is one individual who always rates my questions as "Non-Pro," even when it is a matter of a translation question in which she has no demonstrable credentials.

If that user does that without a reason, then he/she must be admonished....or eliminated

[Edited at 2009-10-27 23:41 GMT] [/quote]

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:06
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Clarification Oct 28, 2009

femme wrote:

Thanks for your supportive comments, Mikhail. Unfortunately, since I do not have a paid membership (because I don't need one on this site), I feel one of my my issues was disregarded by the staff. That one time I did raise an issue with the staff, it ended up being disregarded, because the other person in question did have a paid membership. The staff never denied that that was indeed the reason for the disregard. That incident, in and of itself, is another reason I'll never become a paid member.

Staff provides support to all ProZ.com users independently of their membership status.

Rules apply to all users of the site, members or non-members alike.

I have just reviewed the ticket you mention. It has to do with a Blue Board entry of your that was hidden fully in compliance with the relevant rules, as was explained to you by the support member who answered your ticket.

In case the answer to the ticket was not clear enough I state it again here: membership had nothing to do with the issue but it was fully related to rules.

Regards,
Enrique

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
The role of moderators Oct 28, 2009

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

I sympathize with you. However, moderators have recently been stripped of most of their powers, so don't you think 'the instigator' is an 'untouchable.' Make sure your cause is right, investigate this issue and have ProZ.com staff look into it.

Hi Mikhail,

The role of moderators was recently redefined in such a way that the "sounding board" activities about the site were given back to the community in general. No modification was implemented regarding the rules enforcement role of moderators, it is now what it was before.

On the other hand the issue of power is irrelevant in this case. Moderators are site members who know and respect site rules and I think that any insinuation that they would band together to protect the misbehavior of one moderator would be as unfair now (with the current team) as it would have been before (with the previous moderators' team).

Regards,
Enrique

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Looking at the statistics Oct 28, 2009

femme wrote:
The reason I ask is because, in my case, and probably in others, when I enter a question, there is one individual who always rates my questions as "Non-Pro," even when it is a matter of a translation question in which she has no demonstrable credentials.

femme wrote:
It is a mathematical impossibility that every question I enter, and which she looks at, is "Non-Pro." As a matter of fact, they are far from it.

femme wrote:
The Instigator IS A Moderator

femme wrote:
She Doesn't Show Up On My SP>ENG Questions, But...
But, then again, why does she show up on my IT>ENG pages, a pair in which she has no demonstrable credentials, and vote the question to be classified "Non Pro?" How in the hell would she know?!!

Hi femme,

If I understand properly, you complain about a moderator turning all the IT>ENG questions posted by you into non-PRO.

Now from the statistics in your profile I can see that the last 35 questions you have posted in that language pair (from September 13 to date) are all in the PRO category .

Please note that moderators (and KudoZ editors) currently don’t vote but they can force a question into the PRO or non-PRO status (this will change soon, as indicated by Katalin).

This means that none of these questions were voted, nor turned non-PRO by any moderator.

Regards,
Enrique

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:06
English to Russian
+ ...
No offense intended Oct 28, 2009

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:
As one of the old moderators - I have served the site and its visitors, users and members for n*i*n*e years, resigned early in March, I find that your comment is pretty unfair, as it suggests that old moderators lacked integrity and fair play (as well as they used to abuse their "label") and that site staff supported moderators at all times.
Giuliana

[Edited at 2009-10-28 03:04 GMT]

Hi Giuliana,

I'm sorry if it came out that way. While I've had some unfortunate experiences with one or two moderators, I have always appreciated your work. The majority of moderators are good, honest people, such as yourself, who have been instrumental in running this website and making it a successful venue.

Moreover, I was not particularly pleased when ProZ.com downgraded the moderators' role. I only referred to this fact to help femme understand that moderators are also users like the rest of us, who can be wrong and whose actions can be investigated and reversed.

Again, please accept my sincerest apology.

Best regards,
Mikhail

[Edited at 2009-10-28 09:00 GMT]

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:06
English to Russian
+ ...
I'll say it again, no offense was meant Oct 28, 2009

Enrique wrote:
Hi Mikhail,

The role of moderators was recently redefined in such a way that the "sounding board" activities about the site were given back to the community in general. No modification was implemented regarding the rules enforcement role of moderators, it is now what it was before.

On the other hand the issue of power is irrelevant in this case. Moderators are site members who know and respect site rules and I think that any insinuation that they would band together to protect the misbehavior of one moderator would be as unfair now (with the current team) as it would have been before (with the previous moderators' team).

Regards,
Enrique

Thank you for pointing out my misconception. However, I think you're blowing this way out of proportion. I never made any accusations or insinuations with regard to any moderators -- in fact, any user or party involved with ProZ.com.

I'm not going to argue about this anymore because that wasn't and isn't my intent from the start. No offense was meant, and I hope we can leave it at that.

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Clarification Oct 28, 2009

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

Thank you for pointing out my misconception. However, I think you're blowing this way out of proportion. I never made any accusations or insinuations with regard to any moderators -- in fact, any user or party involved with ProZ.com.

I'm not going to argue about this anymore because that wasn't and isn't my intent from the start. No offense was meant, and I hope we can leave it at that.

Hi Mikhail,

Sorry for being unclear. When I talked about "insinuation that they would band together to protect the misbehavior of one moderator" I didn't have you in mind but the words of the thread starter:

femme wrote:
The Instigator IS A Moderator

I appreciate your input, Mikhail. But I believe that the insitigator is a moderator on this site, and you know what they say-"birds of a feather flock together."

Kind regards,
Enrique

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:06
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Thanks for clarifying, Mikhail Oct 28, 2009

Hello Mikhail,

thank you for clarifying what you meant.

Giuliana

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not Notified Of Every Question Oct 28, 2009

To clarify, this person seems to enter "Non-Pro" on every one of my questions that she is notified about, based on her preferences, not every single question I have asked, ever. I assumed everyone would understand that.

And then she enters "Non-Pro" on certain questions I enter where the language pair does not even figure in her llist of skills.

[Edited at 2009-10-28 12:47 GMT]

Barbara Cochran, MFA
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ticket Answer (Enrique) Oct 28, 2009

Yes-the response to my complaint was unclear (written generically) since there clearly was no valid reason for the lack of action against the outsourcer (except that they have a paid membership and I don't).

The response was also quite condescending.

[Edited at 2009-10-28 12:54 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-28 12:55 GMT]

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Abuse complaints should be made through the support system Oct 28, 2009

Hello femme,

The response to the support request you mention (which I don't believe has anything to do with this thread) was the correct response to the issue, and based on site rules-- anyone else posing the same question would have received the same answer. If you are unhappy with this answer, you are of course more than welcome to pursue the issue-- but using the support system.

Regarding the complaint of a moderator who systematically changes your questions to non-P
... See more
Hello femme,

The response to the support request you mention (which I don't believe has anything to do with this thread) was the correct response to the issue, and based on site rules-- anyone else posing the same question would have received the same answer. If you are unhappy with this answer, you are of course more than welcome to pursue the issue-- but using the support system.

Regarding the complaint of a moderator who systematically changes your questions to non-PRO (this is what I understand the problem to be), I honestly do not see any indication of this in your KudoZ history. Complaints regarding moderator actions and/or abuse are taken seriously by site staff, are duly investigated, and action is taken where needed. These complaints, however, to be properly investigated, should be presented in the form of a support request, and not through the forums. Generalizations, without the proper evidence, will not resolve the issue and can damage another's name needlessly. May I ask you to submit a support request, detailing the case and including any relevant information to the problem you've described?

Regards,

Jared
Collapse

Barbara Cochran, MFA
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, But No Thanks Oct 28, 2009

In view of the lack of action taken by the Support Staff, previously, re: an outsourcer, that has ended up in a case of theft, I simply am not going to waste my valuable time.

The person I am referring to, who consistently makes "No-Pro" entries on my question, did exactly what I stated in my introductory and other posts, on another website (that an attorney wants to sue, on my behalf).

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
You can choose, but you cannot acuse openly without backing it up Oct 28, 2009

Hello femme,

For the sake of clarity, I will again address the subject of the support request you mention: the issue presented was a clear case which fell under site rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/3#3 . This and all the other site rules are upheld regardless of membership status, and adherence to them is agreed to upon registering a profile and participating at ProZ.com.
... See more
Hello femme,

For the sake of clarity, I will again address the subject of the support request you mention: the issue presented was a clear case which fell under site rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/3#3 . This and all the other site rules are upheld regardless of membership status, and adherence to them is agreed to upon registering a profile and participating at ProZ.com.

It is of course your choice whether or not to substantiate the PRO/non-PRO issue. As I mention above, having reviewed your KudoZ history, I see no indication that this has happened, and it is unfair of you to continue to allege this action when it has not or cannot be substantiated.

As the focus of this topic has been the above, and both issues have the appropriate channel (the support system), I am locking this thread; further discussion here along these lines would be counter-productive at this point.

Jared
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should the "Pro/Non-Pro" classification of KudoZ questions be eliminated?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »