Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
How many Kudoz users are on your blacklist?
Thread poster: Yasutomo Kanazawa

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:07
Nov 2, 2009

I have quite a number of blacklisted Kudoz users, regardless of their status (i.e. member, basic site user) including askers and answerers, but do you have anyone whom you would not like to help out at Kudoz (No names, please)? If so, how many? Please be kind enough to share them.

 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:07
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
7 people right now Nov 2, 2009

I haven't cooperated in Kudoz for quite some time, but apart from that fact, right now there are 7 people in my filtered list.

They are in the list because A) they are not minimally polite with their colleagues or B) I generally refuse to help people who accept jobs they clearly are not prepared for (which is revealed because they ask 20 questions for each small job they accept).


 

Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:07
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
2 or 3 Nov 2, 2009

and for the same reason as Tomás, they ask too many questions in areas they obviously know very little about, but still accept job in, because as they say it " would rather work on something they have no knowledge of, than have no work at all.." (Yikes!)
And actually this option has improved the quality of my life, I no longer see them on a daily basis, and can simply ignore the fact that there are such unprofessional translators out there...

[Edited at 2009-11-02 08:56 GMT]


 

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:07
French to German
+ ...
None for the moment... Nov 2, 2009

but, and for quite the same reasons as Tomás, I avoid in principle giving an answer and even an Agree/Disagree to the answers offered.
I must say that I don't participate much in KudoZ - only if out of the reasons stated above.

[Edited at 2009-11-02 08:58 GMT]


 

Milan Djukić  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 11:07
English to Serbian
+ ...
None, but... Nov 2, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I haven't cooperated in Kudoz for quite some time, but apart from that fact, right now there are 7 people in my filtered list.

They are in the list because A) they are not minimally polite with their colleagues or B) I generally refuse to help people who accept jobs they clearly are not prepared for (which is revealed because they ask 20 questions for each small job they accept).


At the moment none, but I seriously thinking about filtering some ProZ-KudoZ users - based on same reasons as Tomas stated, mainly under A).

Milan


 

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:07
TOPIC STARTER
Quite a lot, ain't it? Nov 2, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I haven't cooperated in Kudoz for quite some time, but apart from that fact, right now there are 7 people in my filtered list.

They are in the list because A) they are not minimally polite with their colleagues or B) I generally refuse to help people who accept jobs they clearly are not prepared for (which is revealed because they ask 20 questions for each small job they accept).


That's quite a number, and so far, I have 4 people right now on my list.

Regarding your point [b]A) they are not minimally polite with their colleagues[b/] I believe I can interpret in a few different ways, such as 1) using borderline offensive language to attack people or your comments, 2) nitpicking, and 3) don't close the answers, or even if they do, without a word of gratitude nor points using the reason "Other".

Or is your A a mixture of everything?


 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:07
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Politeness Nov 2, 2009

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:
Regarding your point [b]A) they are not minimally polite with their colleagues[b/] I believe I can interpret in a few different ways, such as 1) using borderline offensive language to attack people or your comments, 2) nitpicking, and 3) don't close the answers, or even if they do, without a word of gratitude nor points using the reason "Other".

I mean mostly that they do not care enough to show some politeness (simple "Hello" and "Thanks in advance" are enough) at the moment of making the question, and of course forget to answer requests for further information or to say thank you when they get what they wanted. They must think it is their right to receive this free help. Not from me...icon_smile.gif


 

Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:07
Member (2007)
English to Italian
25 Nov 2, 2009

Most (if not all) of them because of several Kudoz "just closed" with no explanation whatsoever, which is quite rude behavior to me.

 

Marjolein Verhulsdonck-Roest
Netherlands
Local time: 11:07
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Only one Nov 2, 2009

but she has asked more than a hundred questions without answering a single question herself. Besides, she leaves them open or closes them without grading. Very annoying.

 

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:07
TOPIC STARTER
So far, you're the winner, Gianni Nov 2, 2009

Gianni Pastore wrote:

Most (if not all) of them because of several Kudoz "just closed" with no explanation whatsoever, which is quite rude behavior to me.


Yes, that happens often. And they don't usually disclose why they closed the question until you or few other answerers ask the reason. And I totally agree that that's rude, or rather no common sense.


 

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:07
TOPIC STARTER
That's 1 out of 4 for me Nov 2, 2009

Marjolein Verhulsdonck-Roest wrote:

but she has asked more than a hundred questions without answering a single question herself. Besides, she leaves them open or closes them without grading. Very annoying.


In my case, there is this particular person who asks all the questions she can, but she doesn't close them. She had the upper limit of the questions she could ask the other day, and closed two of them, one which had several answers with two persons having more than 2 agrees, which means that even if she left the question opened, the auto-grading robot will automatically award the points to the answerer with the highest agrees. The other question was closed without grading. And the reason? Because she wanted to ask 2 more new questions which she couldn't, unless she had to lower the number of open questions so that she could ask to her limits. And in one of the comments asking for help, she clearly wrote that it's too cumbersome and tiresome to ask the client for clarification, so please tell me what you think this phrase means.

After reading her posting, I felt more discouraged to help this lady, since she has other open questions with replies, with a few which I submitted an answer, not to mention being very lazy to ask her own client what the phrase really means in the context. I can't believe that this person is doing translations by herself, being lazy enough and unable to write a simple mail asking for clarification to her client, but has the time post a Kudoz question to ask other translators what it means. Very unprofessional. And, to add insult to injury, she never contributes answers to other askers.


 

Monika Elisabeth Sieger  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:07
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
about 7 are on my black list in the moment Nov 2, 2009

I haven't installed a special filter but some of my 'dear' colleagues are definitely on my special list.
Not only that they accept jobs, they obviously haven't got the faintest clue of, some are more than impolite, even accusing me of not being able to know grammar and style. Hello! I am working here in England as a lawyer, advocate and translator for English and German law (with two English law degrees and studying in my spare time for a MA in Legal Translations) and I shouldn't be able to communicate properly? I am drafting contracts, all sorts of other documents and sometimes I am even translating into English as well! All my superiors and clients, all English, are VERY happy with my work and NEVER complained about anything! Legalese is somewhat clumsy in any language and it won't get any better when translating it into the next stage of legalese. And law is no matter of poetry even if some people might disagree with me. The information contained in it is important to the reader and not a Shakespearian epos noone will understand and which misses important legal points!
The lady got her answer from several other colleagues here in the forum in a very well deserved way, believe me. I hadn't to do anything about it but for some time I thought of stopping answering questions completely. Discrimination is unfortunately a way some people think they are allowed to do.
Others, who close questions without giving points are another problem.
Over all, politeness is one major problem here and the inability of some people of saying 'no' to jobs they aren't qualified for.


 

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
no1 Nov 2, 2009

When I was a student our lecturer used to say:
If a good man sometimes says stupid things - ignore it.
But if that man keeps saying stupid things - ignore him.


So, I neither have a blacklist, nor I see a need in having one atm)

Cheers.


 

Ioanna Orfanoudaki  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 11:07
French to Greek
+ ...
Complete lack of manners Nov 2, 2009

As is the case in all contexts, social and professional, lack of manners can be very upsetting... I would say that the fact that we're all typing and behind our screens, at least gives us some time to calm down before reacting and to take simple, appropriate measures, such as blacklisting.
So far, I am lucky only to consider one person as worth blacklisting, after being personally offended. The person didn't even have the gutts to say what this person wanted to tell me within the Kudoz fields, but had the nerve to send me emails via my profile! I initially felt personally offended, and was very itchy to right long emails reacting to the rude behaviour, until I realised that this individual was rude to others when asking other Kudoz questions, made totally unappropriate comments on suggested answers, both linguistically and socially, so I just thought "nah, not worth getting excited every time I see this person's name...". The profile of this user meets all of the above criteria, i.e. arrogant in the comments made, asking a huge amount of Kudoz questions, which would make one wonder on what basis the relevant jobs were accepted, leaving several questions open or simply closing them without any consideration for all the colleagues' time and effort, general lack of gratitude..
But because I try to look at the positive side, I'm glad I don't have to share an office with this person, it would be much more difficult to avoid confrontation....icon_wink.gif

Have a nice week and a nice month too!


 

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:07
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
30 questions per month is more than adequate Nov 2, 2009

I still think askers should be limited to 30-40 questions per month which is more than adequate and very, very, very generous in my opinion. If you need more help then that, you should return the job to the agency/company. If you keep getting only jobs you cannot handle, you should look for a different job. There is absolutely no reason on earth why you should need to ask more than 30-40 questions a month.

I work in 5 language pairs and I have never asked more than 35 questions in an entire YEAR, let alone a month. (2004=13, 2005=2, 2006=18, 2007=7, 2008=27, 2009=13).

In addition, since I never know when I will need a little extra help, I always try to keep my questions answered total above my number of questions asked.



[Edited at 2009-11-02 13:55 GMT]


 
Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How many Kudoz users are on your blacklist?

Advanced search






SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search