KudoZ.net search not turning up all terms from archives--what am I doing wrong?
Thread poster: Anthony Green

Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:39
Italian to English
Oct 22, 2003

I've been trying to use KudoZ.net a bit more, and people keep telling me that the terms I'm looking for are already in the glossaries, which is a trifle embarrassing.
The search function looks everywhere available in the three tabs and comes up with no answer so I go to the website and ask, and get egg on my face!
What am I doing wrong?

Direct link Reply with quote

Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
pressing enter key? Oct 22, 2003

Hey, I had this problem!

Could it be that you are just pressing the enter key, instead of clicking on "Search term"? Because when I filled everything out and then hit the enter key, nothing *ever* turned up. You have to hit that "search term" button and then it really does the search. Seems counterintuitive to me but...

Maybe that's the solution to your problem? BTW I'm referring to the search online at the "Search kudoz glossaries" page, have no experience with the kudoz.net version (but maybe it is similar?)

Hope that helps,
Michele

Amy Taylor  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:39
Member (2002)
Italian to English
Search Options Oct 22, 2003

Try checking the options you have set for the searches. Maybe you have "only closed questions" selected? Clicking the large "Search" button will open the options, and check the KudoZ tab. Once you have set the options you want, clicking the little "s" button will automatically perform the search with the previous options.
If you've already done all of this and you're still missing glossary entries, I suppose you should report a bug.
HTH,
Amy

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
See Michele's post Oct 22, 2003

If you regularly get a blank response, as opposed to "No terms found" (or words to that effect), this is due to hitting "enter".

You have to click on "Search"

xxxIanW
German to English
+ ...
Suggestion Oct 23, 2003

Aha - that explains a lot! Perhaps it would be a good idea to have an error message displayed on the page which appears when you don't click on "Search" - something along the lines of "Please press Search"? This would definitely cut down on repetition and egg on the face ...

Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Pressing the right buttons Oct 23, 2003

I should have pointed out that I am familiar with the two search buttons, and I usually press the S button.

For example, the last search I did was for
"conglomerati bituminosi" which gave no results, so I tried "conglomerati" and then "bituminosi".
Each time I got the Information window, which said

"Term(s) searched: "bituminosi"

The search was executed. However, it did not yield any (new) results."

The KudoZ tab in the Search options window has the first five boxes checked and the last five unchecked - I think that's the default setting.

I didn't have the other two tabs activated (it takes a long time to get and trhen wade through some often questionable data - Systran/Google gave me "it conglomerates to you", which I thought was rather rude ,-)

The KudoZ answer tab remains empty.

I think this is probably some form of bug - in that case can the moderator pass it on to the technical leads or do I need to do it (how?)?

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:39
Spanish to English
Another trick Oct 23, 2003

Another trick is to just write part of the word or expression you are looking for, as the entire word or expression might not be in the glossary, but there could be another version with enough similarity to be useful.

Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Tried that one too! Oct 24, 2003

Thanks Lesley.
Yes I found that out by mistake looking for the word "centina" and getting results for "centinata"!

Lesley Clarke wrote:

Another trick is to just write part of the word or expression you are looking for, as the entire word or expression might not be in the glossary, but there could be another version with enough similarity to be useful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ.net search not turning up all terms from archives--what am I doing wrong?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search