Is it right to award just two points for the answer when it's used in translation?
Thread poster: Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:51
English to Slovak
+ ...
Feb 16, 2010

Is it right to award just two points for the answer when it's used in translation? It happened to me some time ago and I just wanna know what other people think.
(N.B. The asker and myself are not exactly the best of the friends.)

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-02-16 21:49 GMT]

Andrea Re
Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
I know that you might feel hacked off... Feb 16, 2010

but...

BUT...

why do you care? Do you think some Kudoz points are going to give you work? In my (albeit limited) experience, the answer is...

well...

no chance:)

Andrea

Rad Graban (X)
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No way! Feb 16, 2010

Andrea Re wrote:

but...

BUT...

why do you care? Do you think some Kudoz points are going to give you work? In my (albeit limited) experience, the answer is...

well...

no chance:)

Andrea

I never got a single job through ProZ, regardless have many KudoZ points I have. It's was just a question. Would you award only two points out of four to someone whose answer you used in your translation?

Amy Taylor
Amy Taylor  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:51
Italian to English
Have to agree Feb 16, 2010

Certainly it's annoying, and perhaps even unjust, but it's also - probably - not terribly important. If your not-so-great friend wants to irritate you by awarding too few points, shrug your shoulders and don't let him/her get to you. In the end a few points makes very little difference. Put your efforts toward helping other colleagues in the future.

Good luck!

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 06:51
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Well, it is the asker´s decision Feb 16, 2010

I think many askers give 4 because that is the default setting. The decision is entirely up to the asker, unless he/she has chosen to let the community to decide which answer is the best. No one else may influence the asker´s decision.

The ´official´ suggestion for grading is here:
http://www.proz.com/faq/2893#2893

When deciding how many points to award, please conside
... See more
I think many askers give 4 because that is the default setting. The decision is entirely up to the asker, unless he/she has chosen to let the community to decide which answer is the best. No one else may influence the asker´s decision.

The ´official´ suggestion for grading is here:
http://www.proz.com/faq/2893#2893

When deciding how many points to award, please consider this scale as a guideline:

4: Answer was acceptable, explanation was good, reference was provided (or not needed)
3: Answer was acceptable, explanation was good, but reference was lacking
2: Answer was acceptable
1: Answer was somewhat helpful

My own totally unofficial one goes like this:

4. Wow! Thanks, really brilliant, just what I needed, and I´ve learnt something new.

3. Great. Confirmed what I thought myself or could have found if I had more time to spend looking.
Straight dictionary answers, or answers that need some checking, but are definitely usable.

2. Answers I use when I´m in a hurry, or because nothing else turns up. I have to add a note in the translation, but it's better than nothing, or it sent me in the right direction, and I found what I wanted myself.

1. (I´ve never used this in practice).
Thanks for trying, probably fine in some situations, but not quite what I was asking for!

If the asker found your answer usable, but had been hoping for something else, or feels something got lost in translation, or any of several possibilities, then awarding 2 points is quite permissible.

Unfortunately it is difficult to make more detailed comments without infringing rules about personal comments, speculating about other people´s opinions and so on.

I would not lose any sleep over it. There are lots of excellent answers that get no points at all, because there cannot be more than one ´winner´ for each question. But good answers and contributions to glossaries are a benefit to the whole community.

Better luck next itme!
Collapse

Rad Graban (X)
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Points don't bother me at all. Feb 16, 2010

I am more interested in others' opinion/approach - "If you pick the answer from, let's say a dozen of them, and use it in your translation, how many points would you award for it and why?
Simple (I believe) question. If I pick the answer I use in my project, it will get four KudoZ points regardless.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it right to award just two points for the answer when it's used in translation?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »