Beginner query: Procedure for answering KudoZ?
Thread poster: Geoffrey Barrow
Geoffrey Barrow
Geoffrey Barrow
Local time: 21:35
Norwegian to English
Nov 21, 2003

Never having posted a reply in KudoZ before, I am a little confused as to the correct procedure and wonder why my two replies posted today look different from other people's. Instead of the field for peer comments, there is an open box preceded by the words "You may add a note". I don't want to add a note, and don't know why that box is there! Should I have removed the tick at the bottom of the form where it says "Notify me of peer comments"? Also, in a desperate attempt to make amends, I was ca... See more
Never having posted a reply in KudoZ before, I am a little confused as to the correct procedure and wonder why my two replies posted today look different from other people's. Instead of the field for peer comments, there is an open box preceded by the words "You may add a note". I don't want to add a note, and don't know why that box is there! Should I have removed the tick at the bottom of the form where it says "Notify me of peer comments"? Also, in a desperate attempt to make amends, I was careless enough to click where it says "Hide" at the bottom of my reply (also something which does not occur on other people's replies) and suddenly I find that my reply can no longer be seen by other people! However, there seems to be no way of reversing this - so now I am stuck with a reply which nobody can see! What should I do?Collapse

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:35
Spanish to English
personal options Nov 21, 2003

Those are personal options. You are not allowed to hide, or to add comments into, other people's contributions. This is a very sophisticated website.
Welcome
Lesley

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:35
Polish to English
+ ...
Don't panic Nov 21, 2003

that's for starters.

The "You may add a note" box is in case you forget to post something or decide to provide some additional information.
You see it only in your answer, because you may only modify your answer.
You obviously cannot modify and hide others' answers (what anarchic fun would that be!). The only way to react to them is to post an agree/neutral/disagree.

The hide button you click if you decide that your answer is so hideously wrong and embarrass
... See more
that's for starters.

The "You may add a note" box is in case you forget to post something or decide to provide some additional information.
You see it only in your answer, because you may only modify your answer.
You obviously cannot modify and hide others' answers (what anarchic fun would that be!). The only way to react to them is to post an agree/neutral/disagree.

The hide button you click if you decide that your answer is so hideously wrong and embarrassing that you just want to throw it out. The "invisible to others" is misleading, because you squash the answer out of existence (you can still see your blunder in grey, though). If you hide it by mistake, the only way out is to post the answer again.

The notify me of comments button is just for that. If you uncheck it, you won't get e-mails informing you of agrees and disagrees.

Cheers,

Pawel Skalinski

[Edited at 2003-11-21 15:08]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Contact a moderator Nov 21, 2003

Slight correction...
The hide button you click if you decide that your answer is so hideously wrong and embarrassing that you just want to throw it out. The "invisible to others" is misleading, because you squash the answer out of existence (you can still see your blunder in grey, though). If you hide it by mistake, the only way out is to post the answer again.

Alternatively, you can contact a moderator for the language pair concerned (there's a link at the bottom of each question), and ask him/her to make it visible again.

Best regards, Ralf

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Ralf Nov 21, 2003

Yes, that slipped my mind, but it may just be quicker to post it again.

Geoffrey Barrow
Geoffrey Barrow
Local time: 21:35
Norwegian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 21, 2003

Thanks to all who put me right. Actually, after having posted my question, I figured most of this out for myself, so I guess Pavel's comment "Don't panic" was very relevant here!

Martin Schmurr
Martin Schmurr  Identity Verified
Italian to German
our dear moderators have enough to do; Nov 21, 2003

you'd better post the answer again: you can easily copy and paste it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beginner query: Procedure for answering KudoZ?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »