Thread poster: nyamuk
nyamuk
nyamuk
United States
Local time: 06:37
Indonesian to English
+ ...
Jan 17, 2004

In my language pairs we are getting a lot of questions that exceed the 10 word limit. My languages tend to be wordy so I don't mind a long sentence or the request for editing comments on a passage.

However we are seeing many question where it is clear that the guidlines need to be translated into the source language, they are not.

Nonetheless even if the guidlines were translated it's not clear they would be read because in the current format they extend in a long and
... See more
In my language pairs we are getting a lot of questions that exceed the 10 word limit. My languages tend to be wordy so I don't mind a long sentence or the request for editing comments on a passage.

However we are seeing many question where it is clear that the guidlines need to be translated into the source language, they are not.

Nonetheless even if the guidlines were translated it's not clear they would be read because in the current format they extend in a long and narrow vertical comment extending far below the [post query] button. I suggest having intermediate page with the guidlines, before the posting fields and submission button, or that the posting fields and submission button is at the bottom of the current page.In either case we can better pretend that people have read the advice about consulting a dictionary or limiting thier queries before hitting the submission button.
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:37
German to English
Excellent point, nyamuk! Jan 17, 2004

nyamuk wrote:

I suggest having intermediate page with the guidelines, before the posting fields and submission button ...In either case we can better pretend that people have read the advice about consulting a dictionary or limiting thier queries before hitting the submission button.

I think that's an excellent proposal. I also think people should be automatically redirected to the KudoZ glossary if their question has already been addressed. And perhaps it would be good for all new users to indicate they have read the guidelines for asking and answering KudoZ before being allowed to participate.

Kim

[Edited at 2004-01-17 20:23]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Site Layout : asking question in Kudoz : a suggestion

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »