Where do I find the 'Ask the Asker' option? (Staff: 'currently available to those with 20pts')
Thread poster: rene_teews

rene_teews
Local time: 12:01
English to French
+ ...
Jan 19, 2004

I have seen it used but could never find the link that would allow me to do it.

All I have is the white Answer/Comment rectangle present on the top right asker's box and the same right below.

I have asked a moderator but she seemed to point me that second box.

Even if I follow through it comes up with the same Answer box as before.

I will not lose sleep over it but I would appreciate any help before declaring it a lost cause.

You're all great people you know that?

Rene_teews

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 15:01
SITE FOUNDER
The option becomes available when you have earned 50 points Jan 19, 2004

At the moment, the option is available only to those who have at least 50 KudoZ points. (The thinking was that if you have used KudoZ long enough to get 50 points, you are reasonable familiar with the rules and conventions of KudoZ.)

If people think this option should be available to all members, we can give it a try.

rene_teews
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ask the Asker for all members Jan 19, 2004

If people think this option should be available to all members, we can give it a try.[/quote]

Thank you Henry, I'm glad you saved sanity
I understand the rule now (was it posted anywhere?) and personally don't mind.

However I see that on one hand it doesn't prevent people with less than 50pts from posting a comment in a bone fide Answer window and on the other it might deter the ones who might have pertinent questions but no clue to offer yet to the asker.

If this system gets abused then it can revert back to the eligibility-points safeguard.
IMHO

Rene.

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:01
French to English
maybe fewer points? Jan 19, 2004

Hi,
I can see your logic. But as the site is becoming increasing popular and more and more people participate, it can take quite a while to get up to 50 points !
I would suggest that you:
a)lower the threshold (to 20, 30?)
or
b)change the rule to X suggested answers, irrespective of whether they are selected or not by the askers.

I think I agree that it is a function best kept for those with *some* familiarity, and I appreciate the difficulty in measuring such a concept - keep up the good work,
Regards
Charlie

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 15:01
SITE FOUNDER
Changed the threshhold to 20 points Jan 20, 2004

I have reduced the threshhold for "ask the asker" to 20 KudoZ points earned.

Thanks for your feedback.

rene_teews
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 20, 2004

Thank you Henry, I just noticed that - I was points away from 50 though. This should increase feedbacks.
-René.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where do I find the 'Ask the Asker' option? (Staff: 'currently available to those with 20pts')

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search