"Post and Send Response(s)" button confusion; etc.
Thread poster: invguy

invguy  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 14:17
English to Bulgarian
Feb 1, 2004

I liked it when it was introduced - it allows simultaneous posting of responses to more than one peer comment, and is indeed a time-saver. Wondered a bit about the difference between 'post' and 'send', and why these were both in there, but just accepted it as-is. Later figured out that 'send' meant 'send (notification) to the author of the comment'. Guess it was included to advertise that new site feature - but IMO it's not really necessary (I mean, you can't 'post without sending' anyway).

So far, so good. The problem is, I often subconsciously take it for granted that, together with my responses to peer comments, hitting this button would also post the additional note to my answer... and my note gets lost. Yesterday had to recompile a note containing quotes from several sources. In strict compliance with Murphy's law , I had closed all IE reference windows, so I had to dig through IE history to find the URLs, plus find/copy/paste anew etc. Not to speak of having to rewrite the explanations I had just finished writing... you all know how stupid this feels...

Q: (to staff) Would it be possible to group the "Add" button (for notes) and the "Post and Send Response(s)" button into one? e.g. "Add Note / Post Peer Comment Responses"? Guess it would be simpler and clearer like that.

Q: (to ProZians) What would y'all say - would you find this more convenient?

While we're on that: I don't see a reason why the peer comment/response area should have a smaller width than the answer/note area. Functionally, both fields are part of the same opinion exchange process; often comments/responses are just as valuable as the actual answer. Besides, the two fields are clearly separated by both background colour and font size. Last but not least important: sparing the odd extra line (as a result of increased field width) would make for less scrolling To that effect, I'd even put "agree/neutral/disgree" and posting time on one line, and begin comment/response below, full-width.

Not really a problem, just a thought.

Now here's something more important. Speaking of "being part of the same process", I am reminded of something else that has crossed my mind:

Q: Would it be possible to time all input to a question (answers, notes, peer comments, peer comment responses, "Ask the Asker", answer declining, question grading/closing, post-grading input, even moderator involvements) within THE SAME TIMEFRAME, zeroed at the moment when the question was submitted?

I have often wished I was able to trace the sequence of peer comments/responses vs. answerer notes across different answers, as well as all these vs. additional asker's notes. With the current timing system (which I, frankly, do not quite understand), this is practically impossible. IMHO *the route* of getting to an answer (or not) is sometimes as important as the answer itself.

Sorry if such suggestions have already been discussed - there are too many interesting threads and I admit to not having followed them all.

All comments appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 07:17
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks for feedback Feb 3, 2004

Thanks for the suggestions. The first one is good, but will take a little time. Extending the concept out, it would be possible to make the entire page one form... could be more convenient for entering multiple agrees/disagrees, etc.

As for the second suggestion, on lengthening peer comment limits, the feedback seems to be that the current length of peer comments (this length was modified once) may be about right.

Your last suggestion, on standardizing time references, makes perfect sense. We will do it.

Thanks!

invguy  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 14:17
English to Bulgarian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Henry! Only... Feb 3, 2004

Henry wrote:
As for the second suggestion, on lengthening peer comment limits, the feedback seems to be that the current length of peer comments (this length was modified once) may be about right.

... sorry, I guess I failed to put it clearly: I meant just the graphic layout, not the allowed comment/response length. If the comment text field ran full-width (at the width of the answer text field), text flow would be improved, and comments/responses would take less lines.

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 07:17
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks Feb 3, 2004

invguy wrote:
... sorry, I guess I failed to put it clearly: I meant just the graphic layout, not the allowed comment/response length. If the comment text field ran full-width (at the width of the answer text field), text flow would be improved, and comments/responses would take less lines.

Thanks for the clarification!

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:17
Spanish to English
meanwhile Feb 3, 2004

If you use the BACK button on your internet screen you should find what you wrote is still there and hasn't really been lost, says someone who is forever pressing the wrong buttons.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Post and Send Response(s)" button confusion; etc.

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search