Thread poster: ahmadwadan.com

ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Kuwait
Local time: 20:53
English to Arabic
+ ...
Oct 12, 2010

Hello,

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I liked to insert an image in a Kudoz thread to support an answer but I got advised by site staff that this feature is not supported in Kudoz.

Yes, I can leave a link to such picture. However, how many of us shall overlook clicking a link!

Do not you find such feature (the ability to insert an image in Kudoz threads) useful and deserves a try?

[Edited at 2010-10-12 12:06 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Travelin Ann  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:53
French to English
+ ...
I tried suggesting the same Oct 12, 2010

And this is the answer I received from Staff

Links to images as part of KudoZ questions explanations should do 2 Sep

Hi Travelin Ann,

It is true that some KudoZ questions may be clearer if an image is shown, i.e., if more context is given. However, note that ProZ.com does not offer image hosting services --unless the member has a hosting account.

In any case, any KudoZ asker can, if they consider it relevant, add a link to an image hosted in any image hosting website --including their own-- to their explanation.

Since links to a site might cause confidentiality issues AND are not always available, I was disappointed to see this response.

Travelin Ann

Kuwait
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have my own server Oct 12, 2010

Travelin Ann wrote:

And this is the answer I received from Staff

In any case, any KudoZ asker can, if they consider it relevant, add a link to an image hosted in any image hosting website --including their own-- to their explanation.

Actually, I have my own server. Further, sites that host such service are many.

Travelin Ann wrote:
Since links to a site might cause confidentiality issues AND are not always available, I was disappointed to see this response.

I wonder what confidentiality is intended for published content!

In addition, this reply conflicts with the fact that this feature is supported in Proz forums.

[Edited at 2010-10-12 12:40 GMT]

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:53
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Why the difference between KudoZ and forums? Oct 13, 2010

You can enter images in a forum post so why not in KudoZ?

Kuwait
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Oct 13, 2010

Jack Doughty wrote:

You can enter images in a forum post so why not in KudoZ?

Yes, you are right Doughty. I wish site staff answers us.

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:53
English to Russian
+ ...
shortcut Oct 13, 2010

What about placing an image at forum and give a link to the forum thread?

Any confidentiality issues with that?

Jared Tabor
Local time: 14:53
SITE STAFF
Added for consideration in term help system improvements Oct 14, 2010

Hello all,

Ahmad, I see that in your support request on this staff has already answered, so I thought I'd update the matter here as well. The suggestion on adding images has been added for consideration in upcoming improvements for the KudoZ system. In the meantime, I would simply include any links to images as you would links to any other reference.

Best regards,

Jared

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:53
German to Spanish
+ ...
I do not see the benefits... Oct 14, 2010

Ahmad Wadan wrote:

Hello,

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I liked to insert an image in a Kudoz thread to support an answer but I got advised by site staff that this feature is not supported in Kudoz.

Yes, I can leave a link to such picture. However, how many of us shall overlook clicking a link!

Do not you find such feature (the ability to insert an image in Kudoz threads) useful and deserves a try?

[Edited at 2010-10-12 12:06 GMT]

I do not think that's a good idea to overload kudoz questions/answers/references with images, when you can access them with a simple link. Imho, the only thing that it would produce is a delay by reviewing the question/answers/references and too much weight on the servers.

Kuwait
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Benefits Oct 17, 2010

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

I do not think that's a good idea to overload kudoz questions/answers/references with images, when you can access them with a simple link. Imho, the only thing that it would produce is a delay by reviewing the question/answers/references and too much weight on the servers.

Benefits:

- Two options (ability to insert an image) are better than one.
- Sometimes there are images that give a better answer for Kudoz questions, the matter that saves a lot of time elaborating answers.
- Yes, you can leave a link to such image. However, how many of us shall overlook clicking this link!

Load/speed issue:

- In case one may encounter server delay (maybe because of using a dial-up connection) he/she can turn off “automatic image download” option. This way, he/she shall view only text.
- Images of small size are not an issue. Even images of big size should not be a problem in view of broad band connection. For instance, I have 3G 7.2 Mbps connection and many others have similar, if not better, connection.
- Proz servers shall not be the only hosting servers for such images.

Finally, I got this message from Enrique (site staff):

"Thanks for your suggestion, it has been included among the points to be evaluated and eventually implemented in the general review of the terminology area that should take place in the near future."

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Image insertion in Kudoz threads

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search