Is it necessary to squash questions posted in the wrong language pair? I don't think so
Thread poster: Elvira Stoianov

Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 13:20
German to Romanian
+ ...
Feb 18, 2004

In the last few days I have seen more and more questions squashed because they were posted in the wrong language pair. Last example I saw this morning http://www.proz.com/kudoz/640695

I don't think that if someone accidentally posts a question in the wrong language pair gives us sufficient reason to squash the question.
I usually write an Ask the asker note, telling the asker to check the language pair. As long as the Edit question function allows us to change the language pair, I don't see a reason to squash the question.
I mean who can say, s/he's never posted a question in the wrong language pair by accident.
Naturally, if someone asks 10 questions all in the wrong language pair and keeps posting them like that after s/he's been told about this, that's another situation.

I'm curious to see the point of view of people who squash questions for this reason, but also the opinions of fellow ProZ members.

Direct link Reply with quote

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Feb 18, 2004

Questions (source-target, category, etc.) may be edited. Please contact the moderator of the pair in question or any moderator in one of the related languages.

Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Parrot Feb 18, 2004

Parrot wrote:

Questions (source-target, category, etc.) may be edited.

Exactly my point.

Please contact the moderator of the pair in question or any moderator in one of the related languages.

If there was only one question, contacting the moderator would make sense. But as I have mentioned in my posting, I have noticed in the last two weeks that this is becoming more and more frequent and I was wondering what the reasons were behind this behavior. (It seems that nobody else has objected so far).

[Edited at 2004-02-18 11:36]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it necessary to squash questions posted in the wrong language pair? I don't think so

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search