"If you add a note, your answer will be repositioned based on the current time".
Thread poster: philgoddard
philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Mar 4, 2011

If two or three people post the same or very similar answers, logic dictates that the votes should go to the person who was quickest on the draw.

However, if you subsequently add a note to your answer, it slips down the list so that it is no longer first, and people are less likely to vote for it.

What's the rationale behind repositioning answers based on the current time?

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:49
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Repositioning Mar 4, 2011

I suppose it is intended to get people to think more fully and/or do the full research on a suitable answer before entering it, i.e., to discourage just entering anything right away (to get the top spot and thus more votes) and then refining your answer as the other suggestions roll in.

As far as I can remember, the answers used to "stay" where they were, even if notes were subsequently added. Some people would just enter "..." (seriously, just that) to secure the top spot and then
... See more
I suppose it is intended to get people to think more fully and/or do the full research on a suitable answer before entering it, i.e., to discourage just entering anything right away (to get the top spot and thus more votes) and then refining your answer as the other suggestions roll in.

As far as I can remember, the answers used to "stay" where they were, even if notes were subsequently added. Some people would just enter "..." (seriously, just that) to secure the top spot and then refine their answers later.

To someone just taking a glance at the answers, it was not always clear that the refined answer actually came after a subsequent, "more correct" suggestion.

As a result, they tended to get more votes, which--over time--inevitably leads to more points, which leads to a higher position in the directory and thus more job offers.

As you know, Phil, KudoZ is more than just a game.

Edited multiple times and last...

[Edited at 2011-03-04 21:36 GMT]
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I hadn't thought of that. Mar 4, 2011

It just seems unfair if you enter a totally brilliant answer and then add a note to make it even more totally brilliant

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
times remain visible Mar 5, 2011

peer commenters can see when the initial post was made and the times of each edit/addition (and can grade accordingly).
ciao

edited to edit:

[Edited at 2011-03-05 03:01 GMT]

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Discussion area Mar 5, 2011

Brilliant comments can be added to the discussion area so that they benefit users, but do not lower the answer's rank.

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Discussion area Mar 5, 2011

Hello Jessica,

to avoid any misunderstanding, rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_general/1.3#1.3 states the purpose of the discussion box

Text boxes may be used only for their intended purposes.
For example:
-- The "Discussion entries" box provides a place to post additional exchanges of information and linguistic discussions on the ques
... See more
Hello Jessica,

to avoid any misunderstanding, rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_general/1.3#1.3 states the purpose of the discussion box

Text boxes may be used only for their intended purposes.
For example:
-- The "Discussion entries" box provides a place to post additional exchanges of information and linguistic discussions on the question. In GBK it also allows participation of users who do not meet the criteria to answer.
--The answerer's explanation box is intended for providing justification of a suggested translation.

Further information can also be found in the FAQ section http://www.proz.com/faq/119464#119464

Answerers can use the discussion entry to ask the asker for context information or to engage in linguistic discussions of some points of the question asked. In general, opinions on other answers should be provided in the peer grading interface while additional comments supporting their answers should be presented as comments in the answers themselves. Systematic use of the discussion entry to promote an answer provided will not be allowed.

Ciao
D.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not really Mar 5, 2011

philgoddard wrote:
If two or three people post the same or very similar answers, logic dictates that the votes should go to the person who was quickest on the draw.

Not exactly. The whole concept of Kudoz is based upon the idea of usefulness. You might give a very quick answer, but one that does not explain anything to the asker and does not improve the quality of the translation, so you don't really deserve the points if you ask me.

In my opinion, the answer that should receive the points is the answer that gives an accurate, solid explanation of why the proposed answer is the right one, ideally also with solid examples (not just a quick copy and pase from a Google result list).

Peter Nicholson (X)
Peter Nicholson (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
Tactics Mar 5, 2011

I have faced the same situation, when an answer identical to mine was awarded the points although mine was posted first. My answer had been repositioned after I added some extra detail. Askers do not always read the small print, and besides, the information about times is more than a little difficult to follow, if you consider the timing of peer comments and discussion entries. Answerers need to remember to add extra information, afterthoughts etc as discussion entries if they do not want to hav... See more
I have faced the same situation, when an answer identical to mine was awarded the points although mine was posted first. My answer had been repositioned after I added some extra detail. Askers do not always read the small print, and besides, the information about times is more than a little difficult to follow, if you consider the timing of peer comments and discussion entries. Answerers need to remember to add extra information, afterthoughts etc as discussion entries if they do not want to have their answers repositioned.

Playing KudoZ brings many frustrations. In a recent question, the asker chose the only answer given (mine) after only a few hours (something which surely constitutes a breach of site rules), leaving the decision about points to be made by the community. Meanwhile, when they see a question has been closed, many peers quickly pass it over, and the system cannot award points to the answerer because no one has agreed with it.

[Edited at 2011-03-05 11:37 GMT]
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:49
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Some answers Mar 5, 2011

Peter Nicholson wrote:

I have faced the same situation, when an answer identical to mine was awarded the points although mine was posted first. My answer had been repositioned after I added some extra detail. Askers do not always read the small print, and besides, the information about times is more than a little difficult to follow, if you consider the timing of peer comments and discussion entries. Answerers need to remember to add extra information, afterthoughts etc as discussion entries if they do not want to have their answers repositioned.

The time displayed at the top left corner of the answer is the real time elapsed between the posting the question and that of the particular answer. This is not modified when comments are added. Only the order of the answers is modified.

Two questions presenting the same term are not identical if they have different explanations and/or examples. Remember that askers are requested to select the answer that was most helpful to them, not the "most correct".

Peter Nicholson wrote:
Playing KudoZ brings many frustrations. In a recent question, the asker chose the only answer given (mine) after only a few hours (something which surely constitutes a breach of site rules), leaving the decision about points to be made by the community. Meanwhile, when they see a question has been closed, many peers quickly pass it over, and the system cannot award points to the answerer because no one has agreed with it.

When an asker selects an answer less than 24 hours after asking time then the community vote can decide the outcome, but if no answer has at least two net agrees 72 hours after this pre-grading, then the answer preselected by the asker gets the points.

Regards,
Enrique

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Discussion box Mar 5, 2011

Peter Nicholson wrote:
Answerers need to remember to add extra information, afterthoughts etc as discussion entries if they do not want to have their answers repositioned.

If I understand the site rules (and Daniela above) correctly, this is not how the discussion box should be used.

And, to be honest, it bothers me when people do this, since it clutters the discussion box, not to mention that it also circumvents the very reason for the repositioning.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"If you add a note, your answer will be repositioned based on the current time".

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »