Thread poster: Todd Field
Miguel Llorens
Miguel Llorens  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Has anyone ever considered the "unwritten" rules of Kudoz? Apr 1, 2004

That´s another aspect of the socialization discussed by Todd and Monica. People really tend to behave very homogenously even though it is a "virtual" community. There is a certain tacit politesse underlying the system that you won´t find in the written rules and which I find rather fascinating.

I can think of a couple:

Use the "disagree" button lightly. The use of the "agrees" probably outnumbers "disagrees" by a factor of twenty to one. There's a reason for that.... See more
That´s another aspect of the socialization discussed by Todd and Monica. People really tend to behave very homogenously even though it is a "virtual" community. There is a certain tacit politesse underlying the system that you won´t find in the written rules and which I find rather fascinating.

I can think of a couple:

Use the "disagree" button lightly. The use of the "agrees" probably outnumbers "disagrees" by a factor of twenty to one. There's a reason for that.

A "neutral" is just a polite "disagree".

And so on.

[Edited at 2004-04-01 02:40]

[Edited at 2004-04-01 02:41]
Collapse

horizon
horizon
United States
Local time: 04:47
Arabic to English
+ ...
Amen. Apr 1, 2004

Hi Todd and Monica:

I couldn't have said it better.

Thank you!

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Splendid summary of the KudoZ arena but... Apr 1, 2004

not very applicable in the Nordic language pairs and in my experience German>Spanish/French
but definitely in the German>English and the into German language pairs.

I wonder who the 10000 points bully is?
I haven't seen him/her (unless it's me )

Best regards

Mats

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
You said it all Apr 1, 2004

Yes, this is the proz community and it is like in real life. Why would you think it could be different ?

After a while you learn to know who is who and of course there are affinities and I do not forget the posts behind the scene.

Everything normal.

[Edited at 2004-04-01 12:02]

invguy
invguy  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 13:47
English to Bulgarian
I'd just say - cheers :) Apr 1, 2004

Indeed, if one would analyze in-depth the KudoZ phenomenon (I have no prejudice to call it like that, it *is* a phenomenon), one could undoubtedly squeeze out of it a solid dissertation in social science.

However, I personally would rather leave that to future generations. Selfish as I am , I prefer to take KudoZ as the neighbourhood bar... think the Cheers Bar, if you wish... but with a vast advantage. Let me explain
... See more
Indeed, if one would analyze in-depth the KudoZ phenomenon (I have no prejudice to call it like that, it *is* a phenomenon), one could undoubtedly squeeze out of it a solid dissertation in social science.

However, I personally would rather leave that to future generations. Selfish as I am , I prefer to take KudoZ as the neighbourhood bar... think the Cheers Bar, if you wish... but with a vast advantage. Let me explain:

We have two main sides to our lives: the social/informal one, and the professional one. Still, both these sides belong to the same personality - and I don't know a single person who is comfortable with keeping them apart from each other. We always tend to merge them, albeit subconsciously, and even if it is not really to our advantage to do so. I'm sure we have all felt the urge to be more friendly and informal in a professional environment, and vice versa - we often digress into professional topics while having a drink with friends (and, of course, get frowns from the rest of the company ).

Well, I see KudoZ as a 'professionally flavoured' Cheers Bar - where you can drop in whenever you wish, even if you're in your pyjamas , and enjoy a fairly informal - but still professional in its essence - interaction.

I don't dare say that I have other such opportunities in my 'real' life. Does anyone?

Not to mention that no *real* place could possibly accomodate such a variety of viewpoints and experiences, while at the same time ensuring flawless communication with anyone and everyone. Let alone doing it continuously...

As for all this being only 'virtual' - frankly, I don't care. A virtual personality may be just as intriguing - and virtual communication may be just as rewarding - as their real-life equivalents: because all this carries the charm of our inherent human imperfections, and it simply can't be otherwise. The virtualization of the world we live in has not made us less human, with all the pros and cons of this - and I find this a very comforting revelation.

What's more, KudoZ (I would add here the forums, too) is a milieu where you can spend as much time as you wish, without looking weird to anyone; then, whenever for some reason you feel you've had your portion for the day, you can just click away quietly - without having to explain why you're leaving

Referring to another discussion now taking place in the Russian forum: I don't think the upcoming machine translation era could ever provide anything as interesting and exciting as that. Honestly, if I knew that my KudoZ answers went to some huge global TM, I wouldn't be visiting it any more (now call me conservative! ). So let's enjoy it for all it is... ahem... while we still can...

Cheers, all!
Collapse

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Something important Apr 1, 2004

There is something important in a virtual community : it is real life (after all there are real people behind the names), but with something more, you do not have the visual, not the judgemental of the seeing.

It doesn't matter what we look like (gender, age, race, health condition), we are just what we are.

Mark Edmundson
Mark Edmundson  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:47
French to English
+ ...
Well Said!!! Apr 1, 2004

As a new member of the site, I have been fascinated by the whole business of "earning" points. As with any site, we have here a cross-section of society so we will come across all manner of different psyche and attitudes.
What have I found irritating as a relative newcomer is the following.......I suggested a translation of a single word the other day, with 4 as my level of confidence. Then, minutes later, someone actually put exactly the same word as mine, and as people gave him the conf
... See more
As a new member of the site, I have been fascinated by the whole business of "earning" points. As with any site, we have here a cross-section of society so we will come across all manner of different psyche and attitudes.
What have I found irritating as a relative newcomer is the following.......I suggested a translation of a single word the other day, with 4 as my level of confidence. Then, minutes later, someone actually put exactly the same word as mine, and as people gave him the confidence votes (an established member I guess), I lost out on the choice of word. Part and parcel of this site and its way of life, but annoying nonetheless! Guess I need to build up a rep first.
Collapse

CMJ_Trans (X)
CMJ_Trans (X)
French to English
+ ...
just like real life - you can make enemies and you don't know why! Apr 1, 2004

The problem then is that you are dealing with "virtual" people and there is no real way you can have it out with them and resolve your differences. You can write to them but they are not obliged to respond.
I don't know the answer but there is another thread going in which advice is given on how to appeal to potential customers and one of the factors is that "points count". If someone wishes you ill, they can sabotage all your efforts and undermine your status with the outside world and t
... See more
The problem then is that you are dealing with "virtual" people and there is no real way you can have it out with them and resolve your differences. You can write to them but they are not obliged to respond.
I don't know the answer but there is another thread going in which advice is given on how to appeal to potential customers and one of the factors is that "points count". If someone wishes you ill, they can sabotage all your efforts and undermine your status with the outside world and there is little you can do about it. Frustrating to say the least.
The real question is how you get in with the "in" clique and who it is that decides if you are a good or bad thing!
I could say more but there is no point. As I said, just like real life, where you might nice people and the others: a microcosm in other words!
Collapse

Eva T
Eva T
English to Albanian
+ ...
So true CMJ Apr 1, 2004

CMJ_Trans wrote:
If someone wishes you ill, they can sabotage all your efforts and undermine your status with the outside world and there is little you can do about it. Frustrating to say the least.

Dear CMJ,
you expressed my feelings exaclty! There are a few people (a couple of them whom I know from Proz), who because of jealousy, try to undermine your work and success by talking ill about you, so they can get your clients. But "truth will always prevail" I think.
Eva

Iris70
Iris70  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
I could have written these words myself! Apr 2, 2004

Hi Todd and Monica

I was just thinking something along those lines actually, when I happened to come across your message.I recognize all the players in my group and although the majority is very kind and helpfull, I am still not considered "one of them" as I am new on Proz.

So thanks for the nice read!
Iris

[Edited at 2004-04-02 15:24]

[Edited at 2004-04-02 15:25]

Calliope Sofianopoulos (X)
Calliope Sofianopoulos (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 20:47
Greek to English
+ ...
Don't worry Iris Apr 3, 2004

Iris70 wrote:

Hi Todd and Monica

I was just thinking something along those lines actually, when I happened to come across your message.I recognize all the players in my group and although the majority is very kind and helpfull, I am still not considered "one of them" as I am new on Proz.

So thanks for the nice read!
Iris

[Edited at 2004-04-02 15:24]

[Edited at 2004-04-02 15:25]

You are not the only one "bullied" by the Greek "10000 point bullies".

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Psychological and Social Influences in Kudoz

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »