Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
I must be missing something....
Thread poster: Paul Stevens
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:57
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 4, 2011

...as there must surely be a valid reason why a Proz.com Certified Pro would submit 55 questions in four out of five days on what appears to be the same translation job.

I would have thought that a Proz.com Certified Pro needing that amount of help would have come to the conclusion that he/she was not the right translator for that particular job.

But it's probably just me....


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:57
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Probably biting more than he can chew Aug 4, 2011

I basically agree. As far as I am aware, the "Certified PRO" label is given based on a number of factors, the main one of which is peer review of sample translations, as opposed to the exams you do for industry-recognised credentials. The Certified PRO cannot be considered a guarantee of capability or quality, since it was not given as a result of a proper exam.

I would be more concerned if I saw someone with my same credentials ask that many questions in Kudoz...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Allison Wright  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:57
German to English
+ ...
If we are looking at the same phenomenon... Aug 4, 2011

The only conclusion I can draw is that the individual is a ProZ.com Certified Pro is one language pair, and not in the language pair(s) where there seem to be a proliferation of term questions from time to time at what I would call a fairly basic level. If these questions were coming from a young person with only a couple of years experience (and little experience in the subject field concerned), I would be more than happy to give detailed answers. In this case, I am tempted to post references to a few online dictionaries - but then that would defeat the object of Kudoz, wouldn't it? There again, I do not believe any ProZ rules have actually been contravened...
As you say, but then it is probably just me.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:57
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Quality not guaranteed Aug 4, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

The Certified PRO cannot be considered a guarantee of capability or quality, since it was not given as a result of a proper exam.



Forum posts and KudoZ questions and answers often demonstrate the lack of competence of certain translators, Certified Pro or not.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:57
English to German
+ ...
Absolutely not. The badge has nothing to do with translation skills. Aug 4, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I basically agree. As far as I am aware, the "Certified PRO" label is given based on a number of factors, the main one of which is peer review of sample translations, as opposed to the exams you do for industry-recognised credentials. The Certified PRO cannot be considered a guarantee of capability or quality, since it was not given as a result of a proper exam.

I would be more concerned if I saw someone with my same credentials ask that many questions in Kudoz...



I helped at least 4 people (or 6? Or more? It was one heck of a wave) to obtain their badge by filling out some forms upon their friendly request and submitting them to ProZ.com. I never heard any "Thank you!", though.

Never, ever was any review of translations involved.

The badge is awarded for good citizenship and integrity within the community, and nothing else.

Unfortunately I had to deal with one badge carrier when he decided to go AWOL in the middle of a project, and my desperate client had to call me in the middle of the night. Beautiful. So much for the badge halo.

I also was never able to apply for this magic badge because I am both, a translator as well as an outsourcer.

Please - never, ever connect the badge to translation skills.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:57
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Certified Pro label is irrelevant to my main point Aug 4, 2011

Tomás and Michele, I am fully aware that the Certified Pro label does not guarantee capability or quality and mentioning this in my initial post was a bit of a red herring since I firmly believe that NO translator worth his/her salt should be accepting a job which requires him/her to ask so many questions of fellow translators.

Alison, your conclusion regarding this person's Certified Pro rating is quite right - he/she actually has it for the reverse language pairing. I smiled at your comment regarding posting a link to some dictionaries, though, mainly because I was also tempted to do this as this person seems to require a lot of basic assistance!

You are also right that no ProZ rules have been contravened. However, that does not necessarily make the ProZ rules (especially those relating to KudoZ) correct, does it? But that's a whole different can of worms...

[Edited at 2011-08-04 07:31 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:57
English to Japanese
+ ...
@ Nicole Aug 4, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:

I also was never able to apply for this magic badge because I am both, a translator as well as an outsourcer.



Are you just being cynical, or are you really serious?

If I click on the Jobs & Directories -> Companies, I see a whole list of agencies with Pro badges, meaning that you can be a Pro Certified Member and an outsourcer (Corporate member) at the same time. Or am I missing something?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:57
English to German
+ ...
I am serious. Aug 4, 2011

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:

I also was never able to apply for this magic badge because I am both, a translator as well as an outsourcer.



Are you just being cynical, or are you really serious?

If I click on the Jobs & Directories -> Companies, I see a whole list of agencies with Pro badges, meaning that you can be a Pro Certified Member and an outsourcer (Corporate member) at the same time. Or am I missing something?



Definitely not cynical. Whenever I tried to apply for this thing, I received a message "this feature will be available soon", and I gave up after a while because it is not really necessary.

Thank you, Yasutomo Kanazawa! I have not checked for a while, but your post is encouraging.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Common problem Aug 4, 2011

This happens a lot with internet technology; some people may slip into the habit of using kudoz by default as a sort of dictionary or brainstorming device rather than thinking things through/researching themselves. According to recent studies, the google effect apparently means that we no longer retain a lot of information in our human memory when it is readily available online, and this may lead to over-dependence on the PC/internet/mobile devices. Or is it just laziness?

Of course, the little badge simply means the holders have (had enough time on their hands and)jumped through the right hoops and is often no real guarantee of anything. I could have one myself if I wasn't usually busy actually working rather than schmoozing for new clients.

[Edited at 2011-08-04 09:13 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:57
French to English
+ ...
Me too Aug 4, 2011

If this is the same batch of questions I've been receiving, I must admit I've been wondering the same thing. I've now given up even looking at them because no translator worth their salt should be asking so many basic questions - and as Paul says, surely they should have realised by now that they've bitten off far more than they can chew! I'm usually happy to help people if I can, but enough is enough!

[Edited at 2011-08-04 09:16 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Kate Chaffer
Italy
Local time: 12:57
Italian to English
Too many language pairs Aug 4, 2011

I'm fairly sure I know who this person is, as he/she often posts strings of questions in my language pair as well. I think there have also been other threads discussing the same person.
In my opinion, this person simply has too many language pairs and accepts absolutely any project he/she is offered. The questions are often not NON PRO, as they are not things any bilingual person would know, but they are generally questions where a quick internet search would find the answer. It's like the person is going through the translation and posting a question every time he/she has to think!
In my pair, it's generally the same (one) colleague that answers all this person's questions, and he is now in the top few on the Kudoz points leaderboard! Most of the rest of us have just given up.
Looking at this person's profile, I see he/she has hidden his/her Kudoz information so he/she is obviously aware that potential clients may not view it so well!


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:57
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hiding KudoZ info Aug 4, 2011

Kate Chaffer wrote:
Looking at this person's profile, I see he/she has hidden his/her Kudoz information so he/she is obviously aware that potential clients may not view it so well!

I also noticed that he/she has chosen to hide his/her KudoZ information, Kate, but this can still be found if you type the member's name into a google search. It's interesting that the person in question has asked nearly 3,100 KudoZ questions whilst answering less than 300. I wonder why this person would not want this information to be readily available on this site?

Personally, I don't think that members should have the option of hiding their KudoZ information and would recommend that the site should consider removing this option, but I'm sure that others will disagree.



[Edited at 2011-08-04 10:07 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:57
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Seconded! Aug 4, 2011

Paul Stevens wrote:
Personally, I don't think that members should have the option of hiding their KudoZ information and would recommend that the site should consider removing this option, but I'm sure that others will disagree.

Totally seconded!


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:57
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hiding KudoZ info Aug 4, 2011

Deleted as my last post appeared twice for some reason!

[Edited at 2011-08-04 10:16 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:57
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
The same person? Aug 4, 2011

Is it possible that the person asking all these questions and the person answering them all are one and the same person, cheating his/her way to a massive build-up of KudoZ points? I presume site staff could check on this.

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I must be missing something....

Advanced search






TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search