Thread poster: Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:20
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Sep 18, 2011

I am amazed by the level of ignorance displayed with respect to understanding who can see your questions on the site. A poster recently revealed a quantity of information about a campaign, containing elements which a client or competitor could have recognised, when asking a question demonstrating a lack of understanding of the source language, damaging under both aspects. I warned that this information probably breached confidentiality and I see that the post has now been removed at the post... See more
I am amazed by the level of ignorance displayed with respect to understanding who can see your questions on the site. A poster recently revealed a quantity of information about a campaign, containing elements which a client or competitor could have recognised, when asking a question demonstrating a lack of understanding of the source language, damaging under both aspects. I warned that this information probably breached confidentiality and I see that the post has now been removed at the poster's request.
My point being not only think before you post but should there be some sort of notice advising the less savvy that the world and its SO can see what you're asking?

BTW, a thank you would have been nice.
Collapse

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:20
German to English
+ ...
Let the KidZ play! Sep 18, 2011

Many askers/answerers openly (and often unknowingly) disqualify themselves by their "contributions", but surely that's a good thing? A useful filter.

Yes, there is a certain level of ignorance, but is it not better that way? Does it not make it easier for you to suss out who can be taken seriously and who can't?

After all, this is supposed to be a portal for professionals.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:20
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Speaking of KidZ Sep 18, 2011

I recently had an answerer who - instead of suggesting the technical term that I was looking for desperately - managed to figure out the name of the manufacturer that I was writing for and proudly proposed the company name as an answer, CL5.

No further comment...

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:20
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Wow! Sep 19, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:

I recently had an answerer who - instead of suggesting the technical term that I was looking for desperately - managed to figure out the name of the manufacturer that I was writing for and proudly proposed the company name as an answer, CL5.

No further comment...

A misguided Poirot who thought he got the culprit but caught the wrong guy?

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:20
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Exactly. :-) Sep 19, 2011

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

A misguided Poirot who thought he got the culprit but caught the wrong guy?

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:20
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The advice is there, on the KudoZ asking form Sep 19, 2011

Susanna Garcia wrote:

My point being not only think before you post but should there be some sort of notice advising the less savvy that the world and its SO can see what you're asking?

On the Ask a KudoZ question form, there is a bold face notice, saying:
Also, make sure no sensitive or confidential information is included in this form.

I think this is pretty clear.

Katalin

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You're so naïve! Sep 19, 2011

Susanna Garcia wrote:

HA!

Unfortunately Kudoz is the realm of unpoliteness and ungratefulness of late.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Only 1 question was removed but all reveal who the end client is Sep 19, 2011

Susanna Garcia wrote:

I am amazed by the level of ignorance displayed with respect to understanding who can see your questions on the site. A poster recently revealed a quantity of information about a campaign, containing elements which a client or competitor could have recognised, when asking a question demonstrating a lack of understanding of the source language, damaging under both aspects. I warned that this information probably breached confidentiality and I see that the post has now been removed at the poster's request.

Only 1 question was removed but they all reveal lots of details about company sales/results/plans and anyone living in the (tiny) country knows immediately who the end-client is. The question removed also revealed that the asker had no clue about the text at all, not even what it was actually about. The (mis)translation suggested by Asker was all too (embarrassingly) revealing.
If confidentiality were really the main reason for removing the question, all other questions asked that day should have been removed as well.

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:20
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Double disclosure Sep 19, 2011

Susanna Garcia wrote:

Not only does a question reveal who the end client is, but many times, also through WHICH agency the translator got the job from.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
what is it? Sep 19, 2011

Actually, I don't think that guessing the company poses any problems or something, but I agree that translator should be more careful not to reveal confidential information.

Rather many times I got .DOC files where names were XXXX'ed, BUT--guess what?--reviewing did show the previous changes including the original names and data, let alone who and when changed what! Oh boy, it's always so funny to find out that the document has been reviewed a dozen of times by a dozen of editors))<
... See more
Actually, I don't think that guessing the company poses any problems or something, but I agree that translator should be more careful not to reveal confidential information.

Rather many times I got .DOC files where names were XXXX'ed, BUT--guess what?--reviewing did show the previous changes including the original names and data, let alone who and when changed what! Oh boy, it's always so funny to find out that the document has been reviewed a dozen of times by a dozen of editors))

Unfortunately Kudoz is the realm of unpoliteness and ungratefulness of late.No, I can't help thinking that Judoz is made up of specific people we know, who are our (may be not so mature) colleagues, isn't it? At least I would prefer thinking that way...
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Very simple solution Sep 19, 2011

Yes, I'm amazed at how many people reveal sensitive info when they post questions.

The solution I use is to "fudge" the context when posting a KudoZ query. When giving the context, I usually make up a new sentence that uses the term in question in a similar way that would require the same translation.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
But... Sep 19, 2011

Steven Capsuto wrote:
The solution I use is to "fudge" the context when posting a KudoZ query. When giving the context, I usually make up a new sentence that uses the term in question in a similar way that would require the same translation.

But Steve, you seem to forget the fact that doing this takes some seconds, and many askers feel that they cannot waste any second of their life on the people (the answerers) who will save their behind.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
I thought there was such a notice Sep 19, 2011

Susanna Garcia wrote:

should there be some sort of notice advising the less savvy that the world and its SO can see what you're asking?

I haven't posted a KudoZ question in awhile, but as I recall, isn't there a warning notice already in place? Basically advising anyone posting a question to use such discretion. Not sure what else the site can do, but...some answers and contributors act like askers are supposed to just hand over all information, under the pretense of "context", and of course then yes, I've seen people go ahead and post information that I would think should be kept confidential.

BTW...yes, a thank you would have been nice!

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
Of late? Sep 19, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Unfortunately Kudoz is the realm of unpoliteness and ungratefulness of late.

I would not say "of late" - I think it's actually gotten better, but it has amazed me how some have consistently been rude and condescending on KudoZ for YEARS. I mean on a site where people are actually trying to get jobs I find it incredible - what if an asker were a potential client, why not just be nice? But that seems to be too much to ask of certain individuals. People can get to know each other from things like KudoZ, and then share, outsource or refer jobs...I would NEVER refer a job to someone who has to be rude to me or anyone else on KudoZ, though. (There was, in fact, one individual whose profile happened to fit perfectly for a job that I couldn't take...I could not refer that job to her since she was so incredibly rude - and even two moderators agreed at that time that her comments were uncalled for.) Or how about just treating other fellow human beings with respect? just my observations...

[Edited at 2011-09-19 15:10 GMT]

Elizabeth Slaney

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
They just do not notice they are being rude! Sep 19, 2011

gad wrote:
I would NEVER refer a job to someone who has to be rude to me or anyone else on KudoZ, though.

Well, the fun starts when you learn to dislike one person along the months you have seen his/her comments, questions, and forum posts... and receive an invitation from this person to be connected in Linkedin or Facebook. These situations give me a chance to retaliate in the most futile manner, i.e. ignoring or rejecting the connection.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ and Konfidentiality

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »