Granting points
Thread poster: Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:08
Italian to English
Oct 13, 2011

I would like some input from you about granting points. I currently have two open questions where my end choice was half of one suggestion and half from another. Put together they worked perfectly for me but... How do I grant points for this? I can't really say that one was more helpful than the other? what would you do in this case? I'm sure others have encountered the same problem.
thanks
Eileen

Maureen Wilkins (X)
Maureen Wilkins (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:08
French to English
+ ...
difficult decision Oct 13, 2011

Hi Eileen
Most people know that the points can't be split. I would award them to the person who needs the points most (for ranking) and send a sincere apology to the other person, saying that you would have liked to split them.

Kind regards
Mo

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
First Oct 13, 2011

I like the sincere note idea, above, but I would pick the person who posted first.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 17:08
Member (2003)
French to English
Right, pick the first one Oct 13, 2011

Jessica Noyes wrote:

I like the sincere note idea, above, but I would pick the person who posted first.

Choose the answer that was posted first then, in this case, if they are both truly equally helpful.

Ramey Rieger (X)
Ramey Rieger (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:08
German to English
Ask the answerers Oct 16, 2011

Hi Eileen,
I have been in this situation, from the answerer's side of the fence, several times. Usually, if you ask the answerers in the discussion window how to give the points, one will withdraw, allowing the other to gain points.
As a rule, awarding points to the first answer, is correct. but if it is the second answer that "kicked in" with the solution, combined with the first, then ask.
It is always good form to thank your answerers, whether you've used their answers
... See more
Hi Eileen,
I have been in this situation, from the answerer's side of the fence, several times. Usually, if you ask the answerers in the discussion window how to give the points, one will withdraw, allowing the other to gain points.
As a rule, awarding points to the first answer, is correct. but if it is the second answer that "kicked in" with the solution, combined with the first, then ask.
It is always good form to thank your answerers, whether you've used their answers or not, since the input often puts me, at least, on the right track.

Have fun and happy translating!
Ramey Rieger
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Granting points

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »