Receiving Kudoz mails of questions in languages you don't translate in, possible?
Thread poster: Ellis Jongsma
Ellis Jongsma  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:22
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
Oct 13, 2011

Strange question, it might seem. So let me explain.

I've been studying a certain language for a few years now and I would like to become more pro-active when it comes to thinking about translation into or out of this language. However, I have no intention of replying to these questions, because my knowledge is not (yet) comprehensive enough. So it's really only for educational purposes and to challenge myself a bit more.

So is it possible to receive mails of questions asked for Kudoz in a language that is not displayed on your profile? If yes, how?

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
2 steps Oct 13, 2011

There are 2 steps:
1. Add the new language to your profile under settings>languages>add new pair.
Make sure you mark it as "I only have an interest in this pair. Do not show it in my profile". Save the changes.
2. Then go to Kudoz notification settings http://www.proz.com/dashboard?sp_mode=kudoz scroll to the bottom and edit the new language pair as you wish.

Ellis Jongsma  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 13, 2011

Thanks a lot!

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
You can also choose to receive a 'daily digest' Oct 13, 2011

Instead of receiving mails immediately when the questions are asked, or in addition if you like, you can click the option for a 'daily digest'.

That is a mail that collects all the questions asked (in the languages or fields you select) in the last 24 hours and notifies you of them all at once. In Europe it comes in the small hours of the morning, and is the first mail to arrive in my mailbox. It is not always the first mail I read - I often keep it for a coffee break and deal with urgent business first.

I only get instant mails in my working areas. There would be far too many for comfort if instant mails came for all the KudoZ areas I follow!

You can actually answer any questions you feel qualified to, even if you do not work in that pair.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Receiving Kudoz mails of questions in languages you don't translate in, possible?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search