[in this context]
Thread poster: philgoddard

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Nov 16, 2011

Would it be possible for the system automatically to delete these words when they appear in a question header? It's really irritating (in theory, all questions are in a particular context), and the moderators wouldn't have to waste their time deleting it.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
With you Nov 16, 2011

I'm with you on that, all right, it is so irritating. Everything depends on context, yet there are apparently many who call themselves translators and have little or no knowledge of what the word CONTEXT even means.

Maybe some automatic feature could also block questions that have insufficient context. That is even more irritating, and vastly more so when after a request has been made to the asker for additional context, the asker still refuses to provide what was requested.

Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 00:33
English to German
+ ...
There is a simple solution... Nov 16, 2011

Just ignore such questions/askers. Don't be irritated, don't ask for context, just ignore them. The "sufficient context" issue in particular has been discussed countless times, to absolutely no avail. If somebody doesn't know what context means or can't be bothered to provide any, why waste any time on them at all?

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Henry/Cetacea Nov 16, 2011

That was not the point of my post. I'm not talking about people who don't provide context, which is a wholly separate issue and has been done to death (as should some of the offenders).

[Edited at 2011-11-16 20:10 GMT]

Tina Vonhof
Canada
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
It can be useful Nov 16, 2011

I agree, everything depends on context. However, I think this phrase is mostly used when the term is actually a very common one that people therefore might not bother to answer. But some common words can have a very different (or very subtle) meaning when used in a particular context that only native speakers can understand and help with. Rather than ignoring it, I am usually intrigued.

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:33
Hebrew to English
Insufficient context Nov 16, 2011

I noticed this happening quite a lot on Eng-Eng questions lately. If you have to persuade someone to specify context, then it casts serious doubt on their understanding of translation (or even just language in general), in my opinion.

It tends to happen more with profiles of the type:
"Questions answered 3 Questions asked 485"
...from what I've witnessed.

I agree with Henry, it is incredibly frustrating to have kudoz clogged with contextless questions.

I'll just ignore all future contextless questions, it's not worth the hassle.

Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
It depends, as usual Nov 16, 2011

Tina Vonhof wrote:

I agree, everything depends on context. However, I think this phrase is mostly used when the term is actually a very common one that people therefore might not bother to answer. But some common words can have a very different (or very subtle) meaning when used in a particular context that only native speakers can understand and help with. Rather than ignoring it, I am usually intrigued.

My thought, too, though I know what you mean, Phil.

writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
See below Nov 17, 2011

Off topic, but please add my vote for having the system delete answers that are posted as see below (in all languages).

Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:33
Chinese to English
+ ...
what if Nov 17, 2011

writeaway wrote:

Off topic, but please add my vote for having the system delete answers that are posted as see below (in all languages).

the correct answer is, literally, “see below”? =P

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Right, Phil Nov 17, 2011

I agree, what I brought up was not the point of your post. Those who have said to just ignore questions without CONTEXT are probably right. I have tried to educate many by my requests for CONTEXT, which are frequently ignored, so what's the point?

Perhaps it is better for such ignorance to remain unchallenged. And those who put "in this context"; well, we can just include them among the ignorant and let them remain in the dark.

Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree with Tina Nov 17, 2011

Tina Vonhof wrote:

I think this phrase is mostly used when the term is actually a very common one that people therefore might not bother to answer. But some common words can have a very different (or very subtle) meaning when used in a particular context that only native speakers can understand and help with. Rather than ignoring it, I am usually intrigued.

Absolutely!

French Foodie  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Fully agree with Tina and Jessica Nov 17, 2011

Jessica Noyes wrote:

Tina Vonhof wrote:

I think this phrase is mostly used when the term is actually a very common one that people therefore might not bother to answer. But some common words can have a very different (or very subtle) meaning when used in a particular context that only native speakers can understand and help with. Rather than ignoring it, I am usually intrigued.

Absolutely!

I fully agree with Tina and Jessica. I have done this myself in certain very specific cases and certainly don't feel I should be included "among the ignorant". People are sometimes so quick to judge!

Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Ditto Nov 17, 2011

I agree with Tina, Jessica and French Foodie (mmm, delicious ...). I too have OCCASIONALLY written "in this context" precisely because I know the usual meaning of a phrase but the particular context might raise doubts and suggestions might help.
Jenny

Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agreed Nov 17, 2011

I agree wholeheartedly with the comments of both Tina (it looks like she's building up a huge fan club!) and writeaway.

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Yes, but... Nov 17, 2011

Tina Vonhof wrote:

... a comment/phrase such as "please note (specific) context" should be entered in the write-in field of the question (i.e. the part appearing after general and specific field), rather than in the term headline, which would interfere with creating appropriate glossary entries. Otherwise I support Phil's initial statement that "all questions are in a particular context".

My two cents,
Steffen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

[in this context]

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search