Anonymity in KudoZ postings - askers should be required to provide some extra data
Thread poster: Marsel de Souza

Marsel de Souza  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:25
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jul 1, 2004

Hi,

I really think the KudoZ system should be improved. Askers should be required to provide some extra data in addition to their name. OK, you cannot force every asker to create their own ProZ profile -- not all askers are translators, I know --, but the way the system works now gives leeway to a number of abusive behaviors.

I do not know about other language, pairs, but in the English > Portuguese pair askers quite often do not bother to close their questions. There should be some kind of mechanism in place to prevent those askers who consistenly behave this way from reusing the system.

Total anonymity, i.e., when an asker does not even provide a name, is also a problem. I do not remember ever having seen one of those people closing a question in my language pairs.

Here is a glaring illustration of what I am talking about:

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/752833

We should really try and think of ways to improve the system.

Best regards from Brasilia, Brazil,
Marsel de Souza.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-07-02 02:55]

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 11:25
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Hi Marsel Jul 2, 2004

Marsel de Souza wrote:
I really think the KudoZ system should be improved. Askers should be required to provide some extra data in addition to their name. OK, you cannot force every asker to create their own ProZ profile -- not all askers are translators, I know --, but the way the system works now gives leeway to a number of abusive behaviors.

So the problem is abusive behavior more than the fact of being anonymous.

I do not know about other language, pairs, but in the English > Portuguese pair askers quite often do not bother to close their questions. There should be some kind of mechanism in place to prevent those askers who consistenly behave this way from reusing the system.

I have noticed in some pairs more questions that remain open than in other pairs. The system counts on peer's agreements to close the questions whenever they are not closed by the asker, and peers are ProZ.com members.

Here is a glaring illustration of what I am talking about: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/752833[/Quote]
This question has been squashed by a member who has the necessary number of KudoZ to be able to squash. The reason for squashing is "adult nature". It could have been "lacks literary/technical merit" too.
The question was asked in Hebrew - Russian (although it was English - Russian) and there's no moderator in the Hebrew - Russian pair. When something like this happens you can contact any moderator to call to his attention the problem. Moderators can block from asking even anonymous askers.

We should really try and think of ways to improve the system.

I think that the system has the necessary tools for working, we must use these tools properly (peer agreement, calling moderators...)

I hope this helps

Claudia

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 09:25
SITE FOUNDER
Not looking at registration as big factor in grading Jul 2, 2004

Thanks for your suggestion. KudoZ can continue to be improved. But just to let you know, asker registration is not an area we are looking to right now for big improvements.

I looked up some statistics. Among ENG to/from POR questions that have received answers, 94.4% get graded (either by the asker or peer agreement). Among questions from non-registered askers, 85.0% get graded. Bearing in mind that grading by peers is not necessarily a worse alternative for non-member askers, I do not believe that mandating registration for KudoZ askers is justified by these statistics alone.

As for your point about anonymity, remember that it is VIDing, not registration, that removes anonymity. (One can enter any name when registering, just as one can when asking a KudoZ question.) So I would not be optimistic about other forms of abuse, such as that in the example you give, being addressed by registration alone.

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 09:25
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks for offline message Jul 2, 2004

I just received an email from a Portuguese KudoZ user giving me some additional insight into the problem. I understand that the problem needs to be addressed and will take steps.
Thank you.

Marsel de Souza  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:25
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A suggestion to improve the KudoZ system - blocking consistently unresponsive users Jul 5, 2004

First of all, thank you Claudia and Henry for your clarifications.

It is very true that requiring all KudoZ users to register with ProZ would not be a solution since not all users are translators.

It is also a fact that you can remain anonymous even when you provide a "name". And I do think that the peer agremeent grading system is a very nice way of addressing the issue of questions that are not closed by those askers.

Now, for the remaining open questions, maybe the system could automatically block those users, based on their e-mail address, who consistently (after a specific number of questions remains open, for example) ask questions and do not bother to close them. OK, they could use multiple e-mail addresses, but maybe stressing that by closing their open questions their e-mail address would be unblocked could show them that it makes more sense to close a question than to come up with a different e-mail account to go on misusing the system. And of course this policy could also apply for registered users as well.

It is just a suggestion. I am a big fan of ProZ and the KudoZ system and I do think the KudoZ system's effectiveness can always be improved. Again, thank you!

Kind regards,
Marsel.
Brasilia, DF - Brazil

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:25
English to Arabic
+ ...
Another related form of abusive behaviour Jul 8, 2004

I'd like to point to another form of abusive behaviour (other than that of askers who leave questions unclosed), which is also related to anonymous Kudoz postings.
I can only speak of one particular Kudoz member (though this may well be a widespread phenomenon) who is quite obviously creating alter-egos (non-members as well as bogus members whose profiles include little more than the pseudonym). The purpose of this is to ask questions, which that member then answers himself in order to award himself the four points - regardless of whether the same answer has already been provided by another answerer a few minutes before!
Makes you wonder WHY???, but there you go.
I believe there's little that can be done about questions asked by non-members, but I believe something should be done about the creation of bogus member profiles. The inclusion of some information should be obligatory, for example. Of course, that information can be invented too, but at least it may deter people like the member referred to above from inflating the Proz database with profiles of non-existent members.

Nesrin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anonymity in KudoZ postings - askers should be required to provide some extra data

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search