Kudoz Subject Fields
Thread poster: sindy cremer
sindy cremer
sindy cremer
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jul 16, 2012

In the 'ask a Kudoz question' section, one is required to fill in a broad field and a specific field; the third field is optional and allows for 'further specification'.

My post relates to the first field: I feel that the system could do with a few additional 'broad' options. One of them would be 'Software', or 'Software localisation', or anything that would reflect the domain of localising software.

A clear and recent example: a person translating a privacy statement w
... See more
In the 'ask a Kudoz question' section, one is required to fill in a broad field and a specific field; the third field is optional and allows for 'further specification'.

My post relates to the first field: I feel that the system could do with a few additional 'broad' options. One of them would be 'Software', or 'Software localisation', or anything that would reflect the domain of localising software.

A clear and recent example: a person translating a privacy statement was looking to localise certain terms, i.e. 'browser help', 'aggregate use' and 'reverse compile'. Because of the legal nature of the document, he posted his question under the heading 'Law/Patents' and sub-heading 'Law - general', then added 'privacy statement' as a further specification.
Surely, he was working on a legal document, but his questions weren't even remotely related to law. However, in absence of a proper category, his only alternative would have been to post the question under the main heading 'Other' and sub-heading IT.

Another general category that is missing from the current options, imo, is 'government-speak' or anything that reflects true-blue government babble. These questions often don't fall into any of the available categories, therefore your only option is to classify them as 'other'. I'd like to be able to forewarn people of the type of question they are about to encounter.

Any thoughts?
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 00:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
A curate's egg Jul 17, 2012

Kudoz is what it is. I tend to agree that sometimes the "subject" can be misleading/irritating, but I also think that anyone with a bit of nous can usually see what context the actual query refers to. I don't think that making the process any more complicated than it is now (i.e. making askers specify more) would be helpful.

[Edited at 2012-07-17 07:08 GMT]

PS: You can already fine-tune the query anyway by adding geek-speak /management buzzwords/government waffle/psychobabble
... See more
Kudoz is what it is. I tend to agree that sometimes the "subject" can be misleading/irritating, but I also think that anyone with a bit of nous can usually see what context the actual query refers to. I don't think that making the process any more complicated than it is now (i.e. making askers specify more) would be helpful.

[Edited at 2012-07-17 07:08 GMT]

PS: You can already fine-tune the query anyway by adding geek-speak /management buzzwords/government waffle/psychobabble/happy clappy etc. in the description.

[Edited at 2012-07-17 07:10 GMT]
Collapse

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:35
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Options for quoted example Jul 17, 2012

Sindy Cremer wrote:
A clear and recent example: a person translating a privacy statement was looking to localise certain terms, i.e. 'browser help', 'aggregate use' and 'reverse compile'. Because of the legal nature of the document, he posted his question under the heading 'Law/Patents' and sub-heading 'Law - general', then added 'privacy statement' as a further specification.
Surely, he was working on a legal document, but his questions weren't even remotely related to law. However, in absence of a proper category, his only alternative would have been to post the question under the main heading 'Other' and sub-heading IT.

Hi Sindy,

In the example above, the question might have been easily classified as either "Law/Patents - Computers: Software" (with "Law" being the main and "Software" the detailed/specific field) or "Tech/Engineering" (main) and "Computers: Software" (specific).

In many cases, the combination of main and specific fields does make a lot of sense, thus avoiding the necessity of using "Other" to a large extent.

Best regards,

Steffen

sindy cremer
sindy cremer
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
complicated? Jul 18, 2012

@Neil: Thanks for your reaction.

I don't see how adding a few options to the main category would make the process more complicated. I am not suggesting to make askers specify more; I'm suggesting to make them specify the main field more specifically

Anyway, judging by the overwhelming amount of reactions to my post, this apparently is not a hot subject, so I'll just shut up about it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz Subject Fields

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »