Multiple agrees to answers given to the same question? ('it is acceptable')
Thread poster: Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 18:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 26, 2004

I have noticed that many Kudoz questions have multiple “Agree” from the same colleague to different options of the same question.

I always felt that the purpose of the “Agree”, “Neutral”, and “Disagree” response was to guide the asker as to which was the “better” answer. By having one person agree to more than one answer the reader is left confused, rather than enlightened.

Perhaps there should be a limitation to the “agree” option.

... See more
I have noticed that many Kudoz questions have multiple “Agree” from the same colleague to different options of the same question.

I always felt that the purpose of the “Agree”, “Neutral”, and “Disagree” response was to guide the asker as to which was the “better” answer. By having one person agree to more than one answer the reader is left confused, rather than enlightened.

Perhaps there should be a limitation to the “agree” option.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-07-26 13:39]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-07-26 13:39]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-07-26 19:42]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Agree with anything that is correct... Jul 26, 2004

... disagree with anything that is wrong. That was the idea. I believe this helps the asker more than voting for one. It also allows you to agree/disagree without waiting for all the answers to come in.

Sormane Gomes
Sormane Gomes
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
More than one suggestion may apply. Jul 26, 2004

Ricardo Martinez de la Torre wrote:

By having one person agree to more than one answer the reader is left confused, rather than enlightened.

I have to disagree with you on that. I agree that sometimes people give several \'agrees\' because they want to collect a lot of points, but depending on the term/question asked, more than one suggestion may apply. Especially when, most of the time, we get very little context or none at all.
Because the asker has the whole context/document in front of him/her,
they should be able to pick the most appropriate suggestion.

Sormane

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:19
French to Spanish
+ ...
Multiple agrees to multiple correct answers Jul 26, 2004

It occurs sometimes that several -and different- answers are correct: to put several agrees, I think, helps the asker and offers him wider possibilities to choose and not, as you say: "...the reader is left confused, rather than enlightened."
IMHO.

Sol
Sol  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
I agree Jul 26, 2004

If more than one answer is good, I don't see any reason not to agree with all of them. This is especially true when people give better answers after we have agreed with one. If I only had one "agree" to use, I would find myself in a situation of having to take my "vote" away from the first person to give it to the second. Which brings me to another point: we are notified when the asker adds information, but not when someone else answers the question. I think that we should be notified every ... See more
If more than one answer is good, I don't see any reason not to agree with all of them. This is especially true when people give better answers after we have agreed with one. If I only had one "agree" to use, I would find myself in a situation of having to take my "vote" away from the first person to give it to the second. Which brings me to another point: we are notified when the asker adds information, but not when someone else answers the question. I think that we should be notified every time a new answer is added, so we can evaluate all the choices, not just the ones given up to the time when we happen to be there.

And since I'm talking about this, I would like to mention the confusion caused when people change their minds in "notes" but the "agrees" don't specify which answer they are agreeing with. Personally, when I no longer can agree with my own answer, I hide it! I think it's very important to do that, since in the list at the top it will look as if the agrees were with the original proposed translation, not the second or third.

Anyway, I think I got out on the limbs already... sorry for not sticking to the point.
Collapse

Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I see... Jul 26, 2004

Personaly, when I feel that an answer has been proposed that is better than the one I had previously agreed with I change my rating from "agree" to "Neutral". In dicating the reasons why. That way the asker can get a better idea of what I thought was the more appropriate answer.

It was just an idea.

Paul Lambert
Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:19
French to English
+ ...
Since when did translation ever have just one right answer? Jul 26, 2004

The way I see it, translation is one of the few industries where there is no right or wrong. Sure, a 'five star hotel' or an 'incubator' or a 'modem' are all words which we can't argue with and have only one possible transltion solution, but many phrases and ideas can be used to translate an idea or concept. Take this example I recently had to translate in a promotional article on tourism in Galicia: I came up with both 'Galicia - Spain's hidden gem', and 'Galicia - a different Spain' - is eithe... See more
The way I see it, translation is one of the few industries where there is no right or wrong. Sure, a 'five star hotel' or an 'incubator' or a 'modem' are all words which we can't argue with and have only one possible transltion solution, but many phrases and ideas can be used to translate an idea or concept. Take this example I recently had to translate in a promotional article on tourism in Galicia: I came up with both 'Galicia - Spain's hidden gem', and 'Galicia - a different Spain' - is either of these more 'correct'? Both worked well as titles for the article, and I would expect 'agrees' for both had I put them down as translation suggestions for this article.

My point is - translation is not a scientific industry where you can apply an X times Y plus Z formula and produce a definitive answer - there are many rights (and wrongs!!).
Collapse

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:19
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
A great system... Jul 26, 2004

I think that the system is well designed to give the asker a grasp of what possibilities there are. I honestly doubt that a "thinking" asker (i.e. one usually supplying the necessary context) will be confused by multiple agreements. I for one like to agree with the suggestions that I find good, suitable or that add to the discussion. I understand the whole system as being a platform for discussions to develope and evolve. I believe that the Asker "gets more for the money" this way.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiple agrees to answers given to the same question? ('it is acceptable')

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »