Closing a question without grading - "no answer received here was helpful" ?
Thread poster: Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:58
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Feb 20, 2013

I was surprised today to see a question that was closed without grading to proudly display this note on top:

This question was closed without grading. Reason: Answer found elsewhere (and no answer received here was helpful)*

As far as I remember, it used to say:
This question was closed without grading. Reason: Answer found elsewhere

This is the text that the system displays automatically, it is not something the asker writes.
When
... See more
I was surprised today to see a question that was closed without grading to proudly display this note on top:

This question was closed without grading. Reason: Answer found elsewhere (and no answer received here was helpful)*

As far as I remember, it used to say:
This question was closed without grading. Reason: Answer found elsewhere

This is the text that the system displays automatically, it is not something the asker writes.
When was this display text changed and why?
Am I the only one who thinks that the addition of "(and no answer received here was helpful)*" is offensive?

I assume the idea was that when the asker wanted to close the question without grading, he/she would be reminded that he/she should only choose this option if no answers were helpful, otherwise, if there were helpful answers, he/she should grade the question instead?

But even if this was the idea, as it is now, it is basically saying all answers were useless.
This is an insult to those who tried to help, and it is entirely possible that the asker did receive some help or guidance from the answerers, but finally found the answer elsewhere, and closed the question without grading not because the answers were useless, but because they were equally useful or none of them would have warranted a Glossary entry.

Again, I am not sure why the text was changed, but I think this decision needs a review.

Katalin
[edited for typos]

[Edited at 2013-02-20 18:47 GMT]
Collapse

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:58
English to Russian
+ ...
I second that Feb 20, 2013

I took offense to this recently, thinking that last part was the asker's customized note to all the answerers.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:58
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
The reason behind this change Feb 20, 2013

Hi Katalin,

This was a small notification aimed to reducing the amount of questions that are closed without grading, and the idea was to remind the asked that if some of the answers was helpful then they are advised to pick a most helpful answer.

Regards,
Enrique

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Remind them in a different way, please Feb 20, 2013

You can put the reminder on the page where they close the question, no problem, but as it is now, it is included in the text that is displayed after the question is closed. That is totally unnecessary and offensive to all answerers.

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
If you want to improve something, then... Feb 20, 2013

If you want to improve something about the "just closed" questions, then please consider the following:
When the asker chooses "answer found elsewhere", put an input field there so they would enter that answer, that they found elsewhere. I think there were requests about it in the past.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Yes, absolutely! Feb 20, 2013

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:

If you want to improve something about the "just closed" questions, then please consider the following:
When the asker chooses "answer found elsewhere", put an input field there so they would enter that answer, that they found elsewhere. I think there were requests about it in the past.

It is so frustrating when you maybe have given an answer yourself or are looking later for the term to read "answer found elsewhere" and you'll never know what it is! The additional text doesn't change anything about this situation.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, Katalin Feb 20, 2013

You can put the reminder on the page where they close the question, no problem, but as it is now, it is included in the text that is displayed after the question is closed. That is totally unnecessary and offensive to all answerers.

Thanks! If that is happening, this was a mistake. (I corrected it.)

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:58
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I reacted as Mikhail did Feb 20, 2013

I actually filtered the asker, as I thought the offensive manner of closing the question was his. I shall now reinstate him.

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Same here Feb 20, 2013

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

I took offense to this recently, thinking that last part was the asker's customized note to all the answerers.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
That really would be an improvement Feb 20, 2013

If they found the same answer elsewhere, they should still award the points, IMO, while giving the link if appropriate so we can all benefit.

If nobody came up with a good answer, and one was found elsewhere, why not let us all know what and where it was? It really is most frustrating otherwise: like having a power outage during a really good film and getting it back in time for the credits.

Lancashireman
Lancashireman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
Notification Feb 20, 2013

When an answer is selected, all answerers receive an automatically generated e-mail: “Congratulations” or “Question closed”. No such notification is received in the case of just_closed. This is an instance in which the robot could be more courteous than the hapless supplicant.

While we are on the subject, I propose that the ‘just_close’ option should no longer be available after one or more answers has reached/passed the +2 mark. As the asker by definition does not know
... See more
When an answer is selected, all answerers receive an automatically generated e-mail: “Congratulations” or “Question closed”. No such notification is received in the case of just_closed. This is an instance in which the robot could be more courteous than the hapless supplicant.

While we are on the subject, I propose that the ‘just_close’ option should no longer be available after one or more answers has reached/passed the +2 mark. As the asker by definition does not know the answer, he/she should not be permitted to dismiss the considered judgement of the community.
Collapse

Yvonne Gallagher
Yvonne Gallagher
Ireland
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
Also found this offensive Feb 21, 2013

I had this happen to me yesterday. Question was closed very quickly and the "no answer found helpful" really got my hairs rising as I was positive my answer was correct (and it had 1 agree).

I asked the Asker in a discussion note what answer they had found "elsewhere" and it turned out to be the same as mine! There was an explanation about getting the answer from a friend and an apology but now there is no glossary entry either for this term .

I was surprised as I thou
... See more
I had this happen to me yesterday. Question was closed very quickly and the "no answer found helpful" really got my hairs rising as I was positive my answer was correct (and it had 1 agree).

I asked the Asker in a discussion note what answer they had found "elsewhere" and it turned out to be the same as mine! There was an explanation about getting the answer from a friend and an apology but now there is no glossary entry either for this term .

I was surprised as I thought questions couldn't be closed until 24 hours had elapsed.

Anyway, I find it quite annoying when questions are closed without any explanation or if the answer is "found elsewhere" why this (answer) is not shared. Personally, I believe it should not be possible to close a question without having to input the answer "found elsewhere"
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I agree Feb 21, 2013

When I was closing a question the other day, I was somewhat disturbed by the unfortunate turn of phrase "no answer received here was helpful". Although I did not receive any answers to my question, there was some discussion about it, much of which was very useful and **helpful**.

[Edited at 2013-02-21 09:19 GMT]

Peter Smedskjaer-Stenland
Peter Smedskjaer-Stenland
Faroe Islands
Danish to English
+ ...
Send a note to the asker Apr 4, 2013

I do find it annoying, when a question is open to extended periods of time.
I like sending a note out, saying it is a pet peeve of mine, when I have questions I answered left open. I ask the person to please choose an answer after a few weeks. I dont know if that is in line with TOS though, so if someone can answer that for me?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Closing a question without grading - "no answer received here was helpful" ?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »