Can I award KudoZ points to a member who posted a discussion entry?
Thread poster: Sarah McDowell

Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:50
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Jun 4, 2013

I found that the answer posted in the discussion area was more helpful than any of the actual answers. So can I award points to this person?

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:50
English to German
+ ...
You can ask the person to post his/her suggestion as an answer. Jun 4, 2013

Then you can award KudoZ points. Happens a lot.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:50
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Of course not Jun 4, 2013

Sarah McDowell wrote:

I found that the answer posted in the discussion area was more helpful than any of the actual answers. So can I award points to this person?



If you are so kind you can tell him or her to repost his or her comment as an answer but i doubt any commenter would bother to do it. This is because they didn't aim at the points in the first place.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:50
Hebrew to English
Aaand... Jun 4, 2013

If the person doesn't wish to post their suggestion as an answer (it happens) and you really don't think the points should be awarded to the answerers, you still have the option of closing without grading with the reason "answer found elsewhere", which would have the virtue of being true.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:50
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Say why Jun 4, 2013

Ty's route is perfectly logical, if the commenter won't post an answer (although, IMO, it's reasonable to ask them to do that, whether or not they want the points).

But please leave a final comment about why you haven't awarded points. It's most unsatisfactory to simply have that message and be left wondering what went on.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:50
Hebrew to English
Agree Jun 4, 2013

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Ty's route is perfectly logical, if the commenter won't post an answer (although, IMO, it's reasonable to ask them to do that, whether or not they want the points).

But please leave a final comment about why you haven't awarded points. It's most unsatisfactory to simply have that message and be left wondering what went on.


In fact, I wish ProZ would make that a standard requirement when closing a question having found it elsewhere. The asker should at least say what the answer was (or what they *think* it is) and where they found it, to help future users who stumble upon the entry (as well as the people who took time to answer the question). I do find it frustrating, and somewhat disrespectful, to leave everyone in the lurch.

I have a lot of time for the people who currently leave a note in the discussion entries enlightening everyone as to their discoveries, as they are few and far between.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:50
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Egregious breaches of Kudoz etiquette: Part III Jun 4, 2013

Ty Kendall wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Ty's route is perfectly logical, if the commenter won't post an answer (although, IMO, it's reasonable to ask them to do that, whether or not they want the points).

But please leave a final comment about why you haven't awarded points. It's most unsatisfactory to simply have that message and be left wondering what went on.


In fact, I wish ProZ would make that a standard requirement when closing a question having found it elsewhere. The asker should at least say what the answer was (or what they *think* it is) and where they found it, to help future users who stumble upon the entry (as well as the people who took time to answer the question). I do find it frustrating, and somewhat disrespectful, to leave everyone in the lurch.

I have a lot of time for the people who currently leave a note in the discussion entries enlightening everyone as to their discoveries, as they are few and far between.


I am in complete agreement with Sheila and Ty here, especially in cases in which one or more seemingly plausible answers have been offered. I would also point out that, in keeping with the Kudoz rules, unless all of the answers offered to a given query are completely unsatisfactory, the Asker really ought to award points (or at least a single point) to one of the answers offered--irrespective of whether the translation actually utilized was found elsewhere.

[Edited at 2013-06-04 17:31 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:50
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 4, 2013

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Sarah


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:50
Member (2009)
French to English
Possible KudoZ improvement? Jun 4, 2013

I have seen many suggestions for improving the KudoZ system. I think the simple adjustment of allowing points to be awarded for discussion entries would do a lot to encourage people to work together to find solutions.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Possible invitation to (increased) Dbox abuse Jun 4, 2013

There are some people who have found the Dbox to be a great place to hide from getting disagrees to nonsensical suggestions and/or a wonderful place to grandstand and ensure one's Google visibility by paying umpteen visits to the Dbox for a single question.
I suggest things there when I don't want to post an answer and enter the never-ending race for (now almost meaningless) "kudoz pointz". When I comment in the Dbox, it is to add my two cents on a take it or leave it basis. I am not interested in the inane competition for pointz. Some people do both of course. Grandstand with non-stop entries in the Dbox and then post an answer. Their own or one taken from the dbox discussion. All's fair in love and war.
I understand the desire to award points to helpful comments and/or suggestions in the Dbox but a friendly thank you email or message would do the trick too.
Imo, natch.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:50
Italian to English
Glossary entry Jun 4, 2013

You can also enter the term suggested in the Discussion Entry in the glossary, either alone or as an alternative to an "official" Answer awarded points, separated by a " / "

http://www.proz.com/faq/121591#121591

[Edited at 2013-06-04 17:38 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:50
English to Polish
+ ...
Agree with the previous posters Jun 19, 2013

I agree with the previous posters who believe that some closure should be required from the asker. I think askers should be required or at least reminded to make their pick and hand out the award. I suppose some askers may be just a little hurried, lazy or forgetful, so perhaps an appropriately worded sentence or two could successfully guilt-trip them into formally picking an answer and awarding the points to its author.

Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I award KudoZ points to a member who posted a discussion entry?

Advanced search






Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search