https://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/250267-can_i_award_kudoz_points_to_a_member_who_posted_a_discussion_entry.html

Can I award KudoZ points to a member who posted a discussion entry?
Thread poster: Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:07
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Jun 4, 2013

I found that the answer posted in the discussion area was more helpful than any of the actual answers. So can I award points to this person?

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:07
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
You can ask the person to post his/her suggestion as an answer. Jun 4, 2013

Then you can award KudoZ points. Happens a lot.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:07
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Of course not Jun 4, 2013

Sarah McDowell wrote:

I found that the answer posted in the discussion area was more helpful than any of the actual answers. So can I award points to this person?

If you are so kind you can tell him or her to repost his or her comment as an answer but i doubt any commenter would bother to do it. This is because they didn't aim at the points in the first place.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:07
Hebrew to English
Aaand... Jun 4, 2013

If the person doesn't wish to post their suggestion as an answer (it happens) and you really don't think the points should be awarded to the answerers, you still have the option of closing without grading with the reason "answer found elsewhere", which would have the virtue of being true.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Say why Jun 4, 2013

Ty's route is perfectly logical, if the commenter won't post an answer (although, IMO, it's reasonable to ask them to do that, whether or not they want the points).

But please leave a final comment about why you haven't awarded points. It's most unsatisfactory to simply have that message and be left wondering what went on.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Agree Jun 4, 2013

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Ty's route is perfectly logical, if the commenter won't post an answer (although, IMO, it's reasonable to ask them to do that, whether or not they want the points).

But please leave a final comment about why you haven't awarded points. It's most unsatisfactory to simply have that message and be left wondering what went on.

In fact, I wish ProZ would make that a standard requirement when closing a question having found it elsewhere. The asker should at least say what the answer was (or what they *think* it is) and where they found it, to help future users who stumble upon the entry (as well as the people who took time to answer the question). I do find it frustrating, and somewhat disrespectful, to leave everyone in the lurch.

I have a lot of time for the people who currently leave a note in the discussion entries enlightening everyone as to their discoveries, as they are few and far between.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Egregious breaches of Kudoz etiquette: Part III Jun 4, 2013

Ty Kendall wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:

In fact, I wish ProZ would make that a standard requirement when closing a question having found it elsewhere. The asker should at least say what the answer was (or what they *think* it is) and where they found it, to help future users who stumble upon the entry (as well as the people who took time to answer the question). I do find it frustrating, and somewhat disrespectful, to leave everyone in the lurch.

I have a lot of time for the people who currently leave a note in the discussion entries enlightening everyone as to their discoveries, as they are few and far between.

I am in complete agreement with Sheila and Ty here, especially in cases in which one or more seemingly plausible answers have been offered. I would also point out that, in keeping with the Kudoz rules, unless all of the answers offered to a given query are completely unsatisfactory, the Asker really ought to award points (or at least a single point) to one of the answers offered--irrespective of whether the translation actually utilized was found elsewhere.

[Edited at 2013-06-04 17:31 GMT]

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:07
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 4, 2013

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Sarah

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2009)
French to English
Possible KudoZ improvement? Jun 4, 2013

I have seen many suggestions for improving the KudoZ system. I think the simple adjustment of allowing points to be awarded for discussion entries would do a lot to encourage people to work together to find solutions.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Possible invitation to (increased) Dbox abuse Jun 4, 2013

There are some people who have found the Dbox to be a great place to hide from getting disagrees to nonsensical suggestions and/or a wonderful place to grandstand and ensure one's Google visibility by paying umpteen visits to the Dbox for a single question.
I suggest things there when I don't want to post an answer and enter the never-ending race for (now almost meaningless) "kudoz pointz". When I comment in the Dbox, it is to add my two cents on a take it or leave it basis. I am not int
... See more
There are some people who have found the Dbox to be a great place to hide from getting disagrees to nonsensical suggestions and/or a wonderful place to grandstand and ensure one's Google visibility by paying umpteen visits to the Dbox for a single question.
I suggest things there when I don't want to post an answer and enter the never-ending race for (now almost meaningless) "kudoz pointz". When I comment in the Dbox, it is to add my two cents on a take it or leave it basis. I am not interested in the inane competition for pointz. Some people do both of course. Grandstand with non-stop entries in the Dbox and then post an answer. Their own or one taken from the dbox discussion. All's fair in love and war.
I understand the desire to award points to helpful comments and/or suggestions in the Dbox but a friendly thank you email or message would do the trick too.
Imo, natch.
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Glossary entry Jun 4, 2013

You can also enter the term suggested in the Discussion Entry in the glossary, either alone or as an alternative to an "official" Answer awarded points, separated by a " / "

http://www.proz.com/faq/121591#121591

[Edited at 2013-06-04 17:38 GMT]

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:07
English to Polish
+ ...
Agree with the previous posters Jun 19, 2013

I agree with the previous posters who believe that some closure should be required from the asker. I think askers should be required or at least reminded to make their pick and hand out the award. I suppose some askers may be just a little hurried, lazy or forgetful, so perhaps an appropriately worded sentence or two could successfully guilt-trip them into formally picking an answer and awarding the points to its author.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I award KudoZ points to a member who posted a discussion entry?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »