Thread poster: Luca Tutino

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:34
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 26, 2004

I am often discouraged from posting a question by the fact that I should select among so many specific fields. And even after a careful search I mostly cannot find my question real specific field.

The fields are not only way too many, but also lacking internal organization (could you at least make some heading in bold may-be?)

Finally, and most importantly, the selection list is almost unusable. E.g. if I decide that "Engineering, civil" is close to my choice, I select it, and keep browsing for a better choice, it very easily happens that my mouse selects somthingelse by mistake. Then I cannot remember anymore the exact name of my first approximate choice and I have to start looking the whole list.... This is a really slow process!

Direct link Reply with quote

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:34
German to English
"Field Specific (Required)" is really quite annoying Sep 26, 2004

[quote]Luca Tutino wrote:

I am often discouraged from posting a question by the fact that I should select among so many specific fields. And even after a careful search I mostly cannot find my question real specific field.

The fields are not only way too many, but also lacking internal organization (could you at least make some heading in bold may-be?)

quote]

I agree with you, Luca. It's a cumbersome process and after all the initial effort, people often then just choose "Other" as the main category under which the question will be recorded in the successful answerer's profile. This "Other" category is not displayed during the answering process.

Cheers, Kim

Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:34
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Most annoying! Sep 27, 2004

Especially when you are in a hurry. So many categories to scroll up and down and sometimes not being able to find one that suits your question.

Was this introduced short ago? I just noticed it yesterday.

Cheers,
Andrea

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 08:34
SITE FOUNDER
Dont think too much about it Sep 27, 2004

This category structure has been in place for about a year and the feedback has been positive.

The list is actually somewhat fuzzy on purpose. You might tend to think of "auto" first, while someone else thinks of "car". So we put in both. "Twins" such as these get entered into the db in the same way; we have the extra categories just for convenience.

The correct strategy is to not think about things too much. When you get to that menu, hit the letter of the category you have in mind ("c" for "cars") until you get what you want, then move on.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Field Specific (Required)" is really quite annoying

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search