What happened to the rule about questions having to be terms?
Thread poster: Ambrose Li

Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:30
Chinese to English
+ ...
Aug 27, 2013

I faintly remember KudoZ questions are supposed to be terms, but it looks like more and more questions are now in the forms of

  • term / understanding a sentence / see below
  • does x mean y here?
  • what is x?

Does the rule still exist? Or was there never such a rule in the first place?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:30
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sometime an asker asks a whole paragraph to be translated Aug 27, 2013

Ambrose Li wrote:

I faintly remember KudoZ questions are supposed to be terms, but it looks like more and more questions are now in the forms of

  • term / understanding a sentence / see below
  • does x mean y here?
  • what is x?

Does the rule still exist? Or was there never such a rule in the first place?


And some answerers are still willing to help.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 14:30
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
The rule is up to about ten words Aug 27, 2013

http://www.proz.com/faq/4339#4339

2.1 - What constitutes "term help" as defined in rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_general/1.1#1.1 ?

KudoZ questions can be used to ask for help on terms or idiomatic expressions.

A group of words (up to approximately 10) should be posted in a single question only when they constitute an unbreakable unit, such as an idiomatic expression (e.g. 'a jack of all trades and master of none') that may be several words long and where omitting any part would not formulate the question correctly.

Askers can also ask for help in understanding the meaning of a sentence, word order, a grammatical issue or the difference between two terms, but this should be done in the corresponding monolingual language pair. Monolingual KudoZ questions can be asked by selecting the same language for both source and target languages.

________________________

As far as I can remember, it has always been more or less like that (since I joined this site in 2003 at least).

I can only really speak for my own languages, but I think possibly there may be more dictionaries available on line, or perhaps people actually search and find single words and shorter terms already in the glossaries.

So more of the questions that come up in KudoZ are the types you describe -

term / understanding a sentence / see below

does x mean y here?

what is x?

... especially if x is something very new, or something highly topical that has not yet made it to the general vocabulary of ex-pats!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:30
English to Polish
+ ...
'See below' is sometimes necessary Aug 28, 2013

Not all questions can be given a clear-cut answer, and sometimes a variable answer is very clearly needed unless the answerer wants to have a discussion with the asker first, potentially losing the opportunity to get his points for providing, say, 2 or 3 different solutions based on clearly stated criteria. This does violate the letter of the rules, but I believe the letter to be too constricting.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:30
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Understood, but Aug 28, 2013

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz wrote:

Not all questions can be given a clear-cut answer, and sometimes a variable answer is very clearly needed unless the answerer wants to have a discussion with the asker first, potentially losing the opportunity to get his points for providing, say, 2 or 3 different solutions based on clearly stated criteria. This does violate the letter of the rules, but I believe the letter to be too constricting.


I mean I have been increasingly seeing “see below” as the question.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:30
English to Polish
+ ...
Oh, sorry Aug 28, 2013

Ambrose Li wrote:

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz wrote:

Not all questions can be given a clear-cut answer, and sometimes a variable answer is very clearly needed unless the answerer wants to have a discussion with the asker first, potentially losing the opportunity to get his points for providing, say, 2 or 3 different solutions based on clearly stated criteria. This does violate the letter of the rules, but I believe the letter to be too constricting.


I mean I have been increasingly seeing “see below” as the question.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 08:30
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

MODERATOR
In what language pairs, Ambrose? Aug 28, 2013

I would think there are enough KudoZ editors out there now to filter out these types of questions, but some language pairs may not be as well monitored.

Direct link Reply with quote
 
564354352  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 14:30
Danish to English
+ ...
Entire phrases that are not compact idiomatic expressions... Aug 28, 2013

... are sometimes posed as Kudoz questions, too.

Once or twice I have taken the liberty to refer such issues to the moderator, especially when the asker is clearly not capable of working in the languages in which the question is asked, or if it is very obvious that the same question is being asked in several languages. In such cases, the asker is actually asking kind Kudoz answerers to do his/her work and not be paid for it. That is a clear abuse of the whole idea of Kudoz, and moderators are quick to respond and have the askerer remove their question(s). I have seen one such question appear immediately as job posting after the moderator's intervention...

And yes, I do feel like a police informer when I do this sort of thing.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What happened to the rule about questions having to be terms?

Advanced search






Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search