L.Lepetit  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:38
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
Dec 16, 2013

hi folks,
I've decided to start contributing to Kudoz, but I don't understand very well how it works.
I mean, I have answered questions and one peer agreed, but are the "points" visible on my profile, because I still have "Kudoz0" on it. Can anyone help me?
Thanks
LAetitia

Direct link Reply with quote

Fang Huang  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to Chinese
the poster will decide Dec 16, 2013

Hi LAetitia,

The poster will in the end choose which answer is the most helpful, after which the grade will be given.

Best regards,
Fang

France
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Dec 16, 2013

all right, but how will I know and when?

Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:38
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Link to KudoZ FAQs Dec 16, 2013

You will know as soon as the asker closes the question. This may take a few hours or a few days or even weeks. Ideally, a question should be open for at least 24 hours before it is graded.

There are also some useful FAQs for KudoZ: http://www.proz.com/faq/terminology_term_help.html#kudoz

France
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
all right Dec 16, 2013

I see,
thanks a lot for your help.
Laetitia

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
You only get points when your answer is chosen as most helpful Dec 16, 2013

I have known people to get annoyed when I refer to KudoZ as a game, but many people take their games very seriously, including me.

I think it helps to look at it that way. I regard it as practice - and it IS good fun if everyone keeps the tone pleasant and professional. I find things in my dictionaries or elsewhere that I was not aware of, and there is a fair amount of indirect spin-off quite apart from gaining points. But you can't win points every time, even if you deserve them!

It is something of a race in the more competitive languages, but that is not the primary object.

You are trying to give good answers, and all the answers are stored for future reference. When the question is closed, they can be entered in the Kudoz Open Glossary (KOG), and here it is possible to add the runners up as well as the answer that was chosen. Only one answerer can win points for each question.

So your answer will be seen, even if you do not win any points for that particular question.

Sometimes KudoZ questions refer to unusual situations or contexts, so the most helpful answer is not necessarily the most obvious.

You do not get points for 'agrees'. If the asker has not closed the question, or has chosen to let the community decide which is the best answer, then the number of agrees will be used if possible to decide who will get the points.

You DO get a few BrowniZ for giving agrees to others.

The full explanation of how KudoZ works is here
http://www.proz.com/?sp=siterules&mode=show&category=kudoz_answ
http://www.proz.com/?sp=siterules&mode=show&category=kudoz_asking

http://www.proz.com/?sp=siterules&mode=show&category=kudoz_general

You can find these explanations (and more) under the 'About' menu (at the top right of your screen) and then choose Site Rules

Good luck with KudoZ and I hope you find it useful.

France
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
many thanks Dec 16, 2013

thank you very much Christine, and I see things as you do.
I just wanted to know how it worked.
Have a nice day.
Laetitia

writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Do your best but don't take it too seriously Dec 16, 2013

Kudoz questions should be answered to the best of one's ability (once upon a time there were rules asking people not to answer in fields/languages they didn't master) but it is important not to take the results (ie pointz) too seriously. Nowadays they have lost a lot of their original meaning. While everyone enjoys receiving them, don't start to believe that they reflect on someone's real life translation skills. Lots of excellent answers fall by the wayside simply because people vote for pals or simply don't recognise the right answer when they see it. And incorrect, even dangerously incorrect answers are sometimes chosen for much the same reasons.
Have fun answering, but take the results with a grain of salt. This will avoid being infected with Kudozitis, the dreaded 24/7 Kudoz-mania disease that has proven fatal for some people.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How does KudoZ work?

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search