Why the limited number of language pairs for searching KudoZ glossaries?
Thread poster: Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:49
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Nov 19, 2004

When I try to search KudoZ glossaries, I find a menu for selecting the language pair which includes only English, Spanish, German, Portuguese, Italian, French, Swedish, Dutch and Arabic. What about all the other combinations - in particular Russian-English, which is what usually interests me?

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 12:49
German to Romanian
+ ...
I don't have an answer to your question, but what is KudoZ Glossaries about? Nov 19, 2004

I have never used this function of the site.
I usually use KudoZ Search to find past questions.
But now I am wondering if anyone knows the difference between KudoZ Search, Search Glossary (I think there was a topic that these two would return different results) and KudoZ Glossaries.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 07:49
SITE FOUNDER
KudoZ open glossary is for browsing Nov 19, 2004

If you want to browse lists of terms by language and field, the KudoZ Open Glossary page is the only one that allows you to do it.

http://www.proz.com/?sp=kog

There are a few reasons we do not make all of KudoZ accessible through this page. One is that it will not handle non-Ascii correctly yet. We plan to adapt it in the future. Sorry!

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:49
German to English
Searching KudoZ glossaries Nov 19, 2004

Hi Jack and Elvira,
A related issue is that you have to use both Search Glossaries and KudoZ search to be sure you haven't overlooked a term that has already been entered.

http://www.proz.com/topic/26530

http://www.proz.com/topic/25624

[Edited at 2004-11-19 16:58]

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:49
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thank you, Kim Nov 19, 2004

I thought I'd seen something on this topic recently but couldn't trace it. I was intending to use KudoZ Search, but I find the terminology confusing and hit the wrong one this time.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why the limited number of language pairs for searching KudoZ glossaries?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »