Thread poster: DGhareeb
DGhareeb
DGhareeb  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:53
English to Arabic
+ ...
Dec 6, 2004

Hi All,
I have an idea concerning Kudos leader. Why not putting an indication in their profile showing tht they are leaders, each with his rank in the language pair.

DGhareeb

Ruxi
Ruxi
German to Romanian
+ ...
Answer Dec 6, 2004

Because they are not leaders for ever and it is not relevant to be KudoZ leader after all, even if jobposters may look in profiles.
Please, don't be angry.

Ruxi

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Seconded! Dec 6, 2004

Very good idea.

Averages not good.

Specialized information good.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
You can always see KudoZ leaders when you want to Dec 6, 2004

You can always see how many KudoZ points members have from their profiles. You can always find leaders by checking the menu at the top of the website. Then select language pairs and subject areas etc.

A KudoZ leader is good at terminology. These people also have fast Internet connections and good collections of dictionaries, so they take their work seriously. They may be good at writing whole sentences and translating too, but don't take it for granted!

There can be man
... See more
You can always see how many KudoZ points members have from their profiles. You can always find leaders by checking the menu at the top of the website. Then select language pairs and subject areas etc.

A KudoZ leader is good at terminology. These people also have fast Internet connections and good collections of dictionaries, so they take their work seriously. They may be good at writing whole sentences and translating too, but don't take it for granted!

There can be many reasons why other good translators are not leaders, for instance:

They only joined Proz.com a short time ago.

They have too much work to spend time answering KudoZ questions (So their clients are satisfied and send them more work, and they still don't answer KudoZ questions...) Or they only translate part time and have other jobs.

In the unusual languages there are not so many questions to answer. In the 'big' languages there are so many others who give good answers that it is hard to compete.

Maybe translators spend more time looking after their children and families or studying (at college or real life) to be better translators.

Welcome to KudoZ if you think it is fun. If it annoys you, then adjust your e-mail settings so that you do not see KudoZ questions... and use the rest of the site.

Happy translating!
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Well put Christine!! Dec 6, 2004

That's it in a nutshell I'd say!

aneta_xh
aneta_xh  Identity Verified
English to Albanian
+ ...
Fair chance Dec 6, 2004

There can be many reasons why other good translators are not leaders, for instance:

They only joined Proz.com a short time ago.

I agree. So, maybe they should rate the kudoz leaders proportionaly with their membership length here at Proz. This will give a fair chance to everyone.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:53
Flemish to English
+ ...
A team of leaders Dec 6, 2004

You mean put the team of Kudoz-leaders in the translator's profile. Nobody can answer a question four or more times an hour and translate at the same time. Calculate for yourselves.

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Please elaborate! Dec 6, 2004

Williamson wrote:
You mean put the team of Kudoz-leaders in the translator's profile. Nobody can answer a question four or more times an hour and translate at the same time. Calculate for yourselves.

Could you please elaborate. I do not understand:

"You mean put the team of Kudoz-leaders in the translator's profile."

"Nobody can answer a question four or more times an hour and translate at the same time."

To answer witout jnowing what you mean:

The original poster suggests IMHO that for each of my KudoZ pairs on my homepage, my rank in that pair is to be shown.

When I was very active in the KudoZ arena, I sometimes got the question: "Do you translate at all?"
Of course I did, but the volume was smaller than now.
I still participate quite a lot.
It's my best way of making a pause, getting relaxed and recharge my batteries for the maybe boring translation.
Depending on difficulty I can easily do five answers in 10-15 minutes.

BR

MW

df49f (X)
df49f (X)
France
leadership not relevant Dec 6, 2004

Christine Andersen wrote:
They have too much work to spend time answering KudoZ questions (So their clients are satisfied and send them more work, and they still don't answer KudoZ questions...)
These people also have fast Internet connections and good collections of dictionaries...

Agree 100%, well said!
If you're a good translator, you have a lot of work and not a lot of time to answer Kudoz questions!!

A KudoZ leader is good at terminology.

Not necessarily... just search Kudoz for the answers some of these "leaders" have proposed, or take a look at their personal glossaries, and you'll find an endless number of inappropriate, inaccurate, wrong or even ridiculous things!

but don't take it for granted!

Agree 100% (see above)!!

df

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Georgian to English
+ ...
Personally, I don't see a need to put kudos rankings on the profile Dec 6, 2004

it seems reasonable to aim for some sort of balance.

[Edited at 2004-12-06 19:40]

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
Local time: 09:53
English to German
+ ...
Very thoughtful Dec 6, 2004

DGhareeb wrote:

Hi All,
I have an idea concerning Kudos leader. Why not putting an indication in their profile showing tht they are leaders, each with his rank in the language pair.

DGhareeb

Dear DGhareeb,

very nice of you to think about the KudoZ leaders.
Kind regards,
Andrea

That it is not relevant I don´t think so!!
No no you don´t have to check my profile I am not and never will be.(-;

Bye bye

[Edited at 2004-12-06 20:00]

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
The team Dec 7, 2004

The team: A member and somebody else: for example :husband and wife. Anybody is who busy solving more than a certain number of Kudoz-questions/hour and who is doing a profound motivated search can not translate at the same time. You can not split a second in two. It is eather profound research with regard to the translation you are making or profound research on Kudoz-questions. If two persons work on Kudoz, both should be credited for it, don't you think so?
Kudoz-champions may be good te
... See more
The team: A member and somebody else: for example :husband and wife. Anybody is who busy solving more than a certain number of Kudoz-questions/hour and who is doing a profound motivated search can not translate at the same time. You can not split a second in two. It is eather profound research with regard to the translation you are making or profound research on Kudoz-questions. If two persons work on Kudoz, both should be credited for it, don't you think so?
Kudoz-champions may be good terminologists. However, there is a difference between terminology and translation (giving the written equivalent of what is written in another language without too many "calque": copying the equivalent in the target language which sounds like the source language, but is not the same.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Some KudoZ leaders are just impressive Dec 8, 2004

The 'big' leaders do include Mats - who really has given a lot of excellent answers, including whole sentences, so he must be good at translating too.

He has also been with ProZ a comparatively long time to accumulate all those points.

And it's a good thing some people bother, because it's a lifeline. In the languages I work in there is almost always a quick and useful response (even if it isn't always from Mats!).

I agree with him - and thanks, Mats, fo
... See more
The 'big' leaders do include Mats - who really has given a lot of excellent answers, including whole sentences, so he must be good at translating too.

He has also been with ProZ a comparatively long time to accumulate all those points.

And it's a good thing some people bother, because it's a lifeline. In the languages I work in there is almost always a quick and useful response (even if it isn't always from Mats!).

I agree with him - and thanks, Mats, for a lot of help! Sometimes someone else has aksed the question before I run into it, and I know some answerers are more reliable than others...

But I just wanted to point out that KudoZ is not everybody's favourite hobby, and it doesn't correlate 100% with being a good translator.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Showing Kudos Leaders

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »