How can I cancel/ remove an answer from the forum?
Thread poster: Danik 2014
Danik 2014
Brazil
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 24, 2014

Hi,
I'm still somewhat new to this forum. I noticed that several times identical answers on a same question where posted at the same time or nearly at the same time. Of course I refrain from posting my answer when I see that another peer has won the running. But today it happened that, while I still was collecting the supporting links, another translator posted her answer. I wasn´t aware of it because the link was open, while I was still working on the question.
In this case I should like to be able to remove my answer. There is no use of keeping it posted anymore and what is still worse, specially as I am still new to this forum, people may get the impression that my answer was a copy from the first one posted.
I now that question withdrawal is possible, because I have seen other people doing it. But I don´t know how to do it because the cancel button is not there anymore.
Thanks for your help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Maria Kopnitsky
SITE STAFF
"Hide this answer (reason required):" field Sep 24, 2014

Hello Danik 2014,

To hide a KudoZ answer of yours, just enter your reason for removing it in the "Hide this answer (reason required):" field at the bottom of your answer, and then click the white box that says "Hide answer."

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Maria

Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:25
Member (2014)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I would leave it there Sep 24, 2014

People understand that this happens and your supporting links may still be useful to the asker.

Alejandro Alcaraz Sintes  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No need to remove your answer for that reason Sep 24, 2014

There is no need to delete your answer if you see that the same answer was posted while you were still writing yours. This happens very often and nobody will think you copied it.

Besides -and this is more important, the evidence and references you give to support your answer may complement or be stronger than those provided by the first answerer.
Also, you may find that people agree with your answer if you provide solid evidence and the first answerer has not.

So, don't worry too much. I would delete an answer of mine only if I thought it was clearly wrong.
Hope this helps.

As for how to delete it, somebody else has already told you.
Best wishes.
Alejandro

[Edited at 2014-09-24 16:59 GMT]

Danik 2014
Brazil
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all! Sep 24, 2014

Thanks for the kind explanations and suggestions!

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
I always delete my answers Sep 24, 2014

if someone else has beaten me to it. I think it's common courtesy to agree with the previous poster rather than irritating them by posting the same answer.

Danik 2014
Brazil
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not hide but cancel! Sep 24, 2014

Hi' Maria,
I followed your instructions, but now it´s worse than before. The answer is now blackened out but still there and that makes it more conspicuous. I know that to cancel an answer is possible, because only yesterday I saw that one answer had "disappeared" from one of the forums. I want my answer to disappear too. What must I do?

Danik 2014
Brazil
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ philgoddard Sep 24, 2014

I quite agree with you. But how do you delete it once it is posted?

Alejandro Alcaraz Sintes  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
If someone has beaten me Sep 24, 2014

If I gave no supporting evidence, I delete my answer and give an agree to first answerer.
If I did give it and it's different or more substantial (that can be subjective, of course), I leave it there and given an agree.
In either case, when giving my agree, I also tend to tell the first answerer that he got it first.
I don't really think the first answerer should or will feel irritated. Besides, when people see two identical correct answers, they usually give their agree to the first person who posted it.

Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:25
English to German
+ ...
Others can't see it Sep 24, 2014

Danik 2014 wrote:

Hi' Maria,
I followed your instructions, but now it´s worse than before. The answer is now blackened out but still there and that makes it more conspicuous. I know that to cancel an answer is possible, because only yesterday I saw that one answer had "disappeared" from one of the forums. I want my answer to disappear too. What must I do?

Only you can see that black/gray area because and only when you are logged in. Log out and check it out.

Danik 2014
Brazil
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Bernhard Sep 24, 2014

Thanks, Bernhard. You just solved the mystery for me. That´s OK then.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 10:25
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
There is a time line, so people can see what happened Sep 24, 2014

You can see at the top of each answer when it was posted or how long after the question was posted.

Regular contributors to KudoZ know that more than one person is likely to think of the right answer, and will not worry if the timing is very close.

I leave duplicate answers, especially if the explanations are different, as they often are. When searching for the same term later, the slightly different angles are often very useful.

When I have asked a question, I usually find it very difficult to choose a winner for the points - all the answers usually help. Naturally, you play to win, but all serious answers draw attention to the way you work and get you noticed. So don't feel you must delete answers that are close to someone else's.

Danik 2014
Brazil
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to you all again! Sep 25, 2014

Thanks to you all again for your helpful comments!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I cancel/ remove an answer from the forum?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search