Thread poster: philgoddard
philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not really. Jun 22, 2015

Nothing very much matters in the great scheme of things. But as Robert Forstag said, it's about courtesy, and courtesy is important in life.

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:21
English to German
+ ...
Reasons for not participating Jun 22, 2015

interpretwhisky wrote:

I always think it's a shame that the main purpose of Kudoz seems to be to "win" points and show off.

It would be nice if it was just a collaborative tool for discussing terminology.

But I suppose that's why it's called Kudoz and note Terminologeez.

That said, I use Kudoz much more than I contribute to it, so perhaps my opinion that it's easier to look up terms if "synonyms" are posted as separate answers is just pure selfishness.

Let me tell you what my reasons were for participating in KudoZ. First, I wanted to earn points to move up in the directory. Second, I enjoyed the intellectual challenge. Third, I liked the communication with professional colleagues.

Over the years and especially lately, this didn't seem to matter much in terms of being contacted with reasonable offers through the directory. And I do hate mass (e)mailings to all members. I know my membership fee goes mainly towards ensuring ProZ.com's business success, which depends on membership fees. But that's another issue which I am not discussing here anymore. All I want to say is I understand that some translators might decide to move on.

As far as KudoZ is concerned, I participate once in a great while, but there aren't many interesting challenges these days. I also miss the participation of and communication with many people that used to be part of KudoZ but either have left ProZ.com or don't participate any longer.

Things are not the same as they used to be.

[Edited at 2015-06-23 03:38 GMT]

Wilsonn Perez Reyes
Wilsonn Perez Reyes  Identity Verified
El Salvador
Local time: 19:21
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not so. Jun 26, 2015

On the day you opened this discussion (June 19th) you implicitly criticized my answer:

philgoddard: Don't know why we have two more identical answers.
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/spanish_to_english/accounting/5879041-isss.html

Problem was that the question was from Spanish into English.

My answer was not identical to the
... See more
On the day you opened this discussion (June 19th) you implicitly criticized my answer:

philgoddard: Don't know why we have two more identical answers.
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/spanish_to_english/accounting/5879041-isss.html

Problem was that the question was from Spanish into English.

My answer was not identical to the others. In fact, I was the only one who provided a Spanish-to-English answer. Probably that is why my answer was finally selected as the most helpful.

[Editado a las 2015-06-26 05:28 GMT]

[Editado a las 2015-06-26 05:31 GMT]
Collapse

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:21
Serbian to English
+ ...
even exactly the same answer Jun 26, 2015

is not necessarily the same answer, let alone "synonyms".

"synonyms" are of similar meaning, not exactly the same, and one "synonym" might the a perfect fit for the context of the specific question, while another "synonym" might sound awkward or just be a plain wrong choice for the specific question, so YES "synonyms" ARE separate answers.

Another extremely important aspect you forgot about, is that a usable answer (usable in the sense of building a databa
... See more
is not necessarily the same answer, let alone "synonyms".

"synonyms" are of similar meaning, not exactly the same, and one "synonym" might the a perfect fit for the context of the specific question, while another "synonym" might sound awkward or just be a plain wrong choice for the specific question, so YES "synonyms" ARE separate answers.

Another extremely important aspect you forgot about, is that a usable answer (usable in the sense of building a database of terms that can be consulted later by other translators confronted with the same problem) MUST HAVE a valid explanation.

So a correct answer followed by a totally off-track explanation is worse than a plain wrong answer, as it gives misleading indications as to when and why one term and not some other should be used.

So sometimes it's even justified to give exactly the same answer BUT with the correct explanation and relevant references.

If someone's ego gets bruised in the process, so be it. Don't go in the kitchen if you can't stand the heat...
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Posting synonyms of others' answers

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »