One in a Million
Thread poster: PAS

PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:38
English to Polish
+ ...
Feb 24, 2005

If anyone has noticed, the millionth KudoZ question is waiting right around the corner.

As of now the counter passed 950 000, but at the rate it's going, the millionth question will be asked before the snows melt (at least where I'm sitting)

So who will be the lucky one?
Will there be a prize?

What a trip it's been!

Cheers,
Pawel Skalinski
Warsaw, Poland

Direct link Reply with quote

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 19:38
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Can you imagine the rush for questions? LOL Feb 24, 2005

I was thinking about that too... A trip to, I don't know, D.C. or maybe even California, in the sun... ah, one can dream, right? I can certainly come up with some questions to get to be the millionth

Nancy

Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
prize Feb 24, 2005

PAS wrote:
Will there be a prize?

Yes, five bucks to buy a tattered dictionary at the second-hand bookstore around the corner right beside the deli.

M

Javier Herrera
Spanish
Gosh! Feb 24, 2005

I hope it's not a silly question.

Maria Rosich Andreu  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
calculator in hand... Feb 25, 2005

this comes to less than 10 questions asked per member!!! Now that's a statistic I hand't expected. I wonder what is the percentage of questions posted by non-logged in askers.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Confessions of another points grabber... Feb 25, 2005

PAS wrote:
Will there be a prize?

Marcus Malabad wrote:
Yes, five bucks to buy a tattered dictionary at the second-hand bookstore around the corner right beside the deli.

M
Well, that's the way to earn KudoZ points!
I must watch out. It seems hardly any time since we rounded the half million!

I have a bought a lot of new dictionaries and reference books/CDs during my career, but looking round my bookshelves... some of the most interesting and useful dictionaries there have cost me five pounds or less, and I can't count the KudoZ points they've earned me!

I really do use them in translations too -
they include an almost unused (when I bought it) Swedish-English technical dictionary from the Oxfam bookshop in Oxford,

Collins Thesaurus and other treasures from 'Desperate Dan's' neighbour (alas, now closed) in Leeds,

and Cuisine French, also from Oxford Oxfam

I have dictionaries on wood, furniture, art and architecture, graphics and painting, abbrevations, cooking and food encyclopaedias, proverbs and quotations... some of them often stray to the bedside table! But the furniture dictionary is no use there - it is illustrated and was exciting enough to keep me awake half the night.

[Edited at 2005-02-25 12:52]

Louise Gough  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:38
German to English
+ ...
Prize Mar 1, 2005

Marcus Malabad wrote:

PAS wrote:
Will there be a prize?

M

Sounds great - are you going to throw in a return flight as well?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

One in a Million

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search