KudoZ earners invited to upgrade to platinum membership with beneficial terms (thru 1 May)
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 05:11
SITE FOUNDER
Apr 25, 2005

Ever since KudoZ was announced in 1999, ProZ.com members have enjoyed equal access to the service, regardless of platinum membership status. While this is and will continue to be the case, platinum members have recently been given one advantage over non-platinum members: favorable exposure in the new KudoZ leaderboard. This change was announced in advance in an earlier thread.

Brief explanation: in the old leaderboard, all leader names were "clickable"; ie. a visitor could click on any name and jump to the corresponding profile. In the new leaderboard, only platinum names are clickable. (And then, only in the member's working fields.) The intention of this change is to reward platinum members with increased opportunities for networking in their areas of specialization, and increased exposure before clients. This is a way of thanking you, our platinum members, for making site improvements possible.

To be clear, this change will not affect non-platinum members' access to KudoZ. If you are a non-platinum member, you will still be able to ask, answer and search without any fees. Nevertheless, I hope you will take this opportunity to consider upgrading to platinum membership.

The majority of top KudoZ point earners is now platinum. Their platinum payments are what make improvements like those announced here possible. But platinum members get more than the satisfaction of doing their part. Consider:
  • With platinum membership comes top placement in the ProZ.com directory (the web's most popular)
  • Platinum members get full access to the largest database of translation outsourcers on the web (the Blue Board).
  • Compared to non-paying ProZ.com users, who on average meet a new client through the site once every few years, the average platinum member meets several new clients per year.
  • There are lots of reasons besides new clients to go platinum: free website hosting (which costs 100 euros or more elsewhere on the web), instant forum postings (for tech support, etc.), the right to host powwows, visitor tracking in profiles, and more.

In short, if you are a non-platinum KudoZ user, going platinum is not only a way to contribute to further improvements in this shared workplace, it is also a way to boost your own business and enrich your working hours.

--------------

As I mentioned in my earlier post, and as suggested by members, to encourage KudoZ points earners to upgrade in step with the leaderboard change, special terms are being offered on platinum membership for one week. Upgrade at the regular price of 120 eur/usd before the end of the week and you will get an extra month, ie. thirteen months for the price of twelve. If you have earned at least one hundred (100) PRO points, you can get the same thirteen months at a discounted price: 100 eur/usd. And if you have more than one thousand (1000) PRO points, your price for thirteen months is reduced further to 80 eur/usd.

Earning 100 KudoZ points--let alone 1000--is a significant feat, and the discount I am offering is not on par with your efforts. But I hope the token discount will encourage you to join the ranks of KudoZ leaders who now support ProZ.com--and gain professional advantages--with platinum membership.

On behalf of myself and the other staff members, I promise to continue improving KudoZ and its one-million term archive in ways that benefit you, our community, and everyone who loves and works with languages.

The KudoZ-earner platinum sale described here is available only to new platinum members. The sale ends May 1. To upgrade, go to: http://proz.com/plat A full list of platinum benefits is available there.

Direct link Reply with quote

Selçuk Budak  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:11
English to Turkish
+ ...
For the shake of fairness Apr 25, 2005

I would like to reiterate what I have said elsewhere on Henry's invitation. But these are not meant to be read by Henry lest he may raise the fees. Psst!

I am a partial plat. Stingy me! Avoiding to pay a few extra dollars, and now considering to pay $ 300 to yahoo for a directory inclusion!

It goes without saying that visibility is indispensable for any online business: Visibility means earning. But it also means cost.

Domain registration + hosting: $ 115
Hiring a quality designer and coder $ ?000
But launching a website does not guarantee visibility.

You need to consider extra cost items such as directory inclusions:

Yahoo directory = $ 399 /annual
business dot com = $ 199 /annual
joeant = $ 40 $
you can multiply these examples.

Sponsored listings: $100 upward
You need to buy some ppc (paid per click ads) $ ?00

You may also need to "buy" some links to your site from link merchants (those with a higher PR selling links, i.e., charging you a flat or annual fee for including a link to your site in their pages).

The range of cost of per text link ranges between $ 25 and $ 100.

A certain {site} sells translation agency database at EUR 289. The same dot com sells CV mailing services at EUR 289. (Believe me, I am not kidding. Just check.)

There are numerous (personally, I identified some 25) translation directories with empty content just selling links. It seems that earning through freelance translators is an easy job. Just get a directory script (you may obtain a free one)launch a link directory, and start selling!
And, all of these still does not guarantee visibility and earning.
We, as freelance translators, should actively defy attempts to exploit our need for jobs. And should discern what is worthy and unworthy.
SB

Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Only when upgrading to platinum or when renewing, too? Apr 25, 2005

Sorry, but I just wonder if the proposal is valid for non-platinum members only or for those who is going to renew their membership?

Dan Schioenning Larsen
Romania
English to Danish
+ ...
New members Apr 25, 2005

Kirill Semenov wrote:

Sorry, but I just wonder if the proposal is valid for non-platinum members only or for those who is going to renew their membership?

New members only, it says in the very last line of Henry's post... Unfortunately

Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Thank you Dan Apr 25, 2005

Dan Larsen wrote:
New members only, it says in the very last line of Henry's post... Unfortunately

True, I didn't notice this last addition. And -- yes, sad enough.

Béatrice Huret-Morton  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:11
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
Will it deplete our Kudoz count? Apr 25, 2005

Do we lose Kudoz points for taking you up on your offer?

Béa

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
No, KudoZ points stay the same Apr 25, 2005

Béatrice Huret-Morton wrote:

Do we lose Kudoz points for taking you up on your offer?

Béa

Hi Béatrice... I have not noticed your name for a while. Nice to see you!

To answer your question, no, KudoZ points stay the same.

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
Great offer, Henry Apr 25, 2005

I may just have to take you up on it. As soon as the Visa bill arrives, so I have another month to try to make money (and maybe the platinum extras will make that possible)...

Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:11
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Apr 25, 2005

[Edited at 2005-08-19 05:41]

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Platinum info in other languages? Apr 25, 2005

Henry,
I think this is a good way to increase the number of Platinum members. However, what about those translators that don't understand English well enough to feel confident going through the upgrade pages and the payment process?
Are any of those pages available in other languages (at least major languages - German, French, etc.)?
There used to be a pull-down menu for language setting on ProZ pages, that is no longer there. I checked the BrowniZ page, and it seems that the site localization activity is suspended - or at least there is no link to contribute anymore.
So, what is the localization status of ProZ.com itself?
I think it would make sense to localize at least those pages that people need to use when they want to be Platinum... (You may be able to find some volunteers to translate those pages.)

Katalin

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
I could do some of the Japanese work Apr 26, 2005

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

Henry,
I think this is a good way to increase the number of Platinum members. However, what about those translators that don't understand English well enough to feel confident going through the upgrade pages and the payment process?
Are any of those pages available in other languages (at least major languages - German, French, etc.)?
There used to be a pull-down menu for language setting on ProZ pages, that is no longer there. I checked the BrowniZ page, and it seems that the site localization activity is suspended - or at least there is no link to contribute anymore.
So, what is the localization status of ProZ.com itself?
I think it would make sense to localize at least those pages that people need to use when they want to be Platinum... (You may be able to find some volunteers to translate those pages.)

Katalin

Ask and ye shall receive. Depending on the quantity, I can do some or all into Japanese.

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:11
French to English
Reduction in fee not working? Apr 29, 2005

Just decided to take advantage of the special offer and get 13 months membership for 80 USD since I've got over 1000 points. But the bill still came up as 120 USD + VAT + handling charge.

Have I missed something?

Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:11
Member (2004)
Russian to English
+ ...
PRO Apr 29, 2005

Charlie Bavington wrote:
Have I missed something?

Yep, you have ->

"have more than one thousand (1000) ===PRO=== points"

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ earners invited to upgrade to platinum membership with beneficial terms (thru 1 May)

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search