Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:50
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
May 12, 2005

I really like the "Detailed view" feature of KudoZ questions. For those who didn't try it out yet, it presents not only the questions and name of the asker, but also the content of the questions (context, comment from the asker, etc.), so you can read it without actually opening individual questions.

I think it would be nice to introduce this view also to the KudoZ search, so it lists not only the question and the selected answer, but also the question content (as described below) a
... See more
I really like the "Detailed view" feature of KudoZ questions. For those who didn't try it out yet, it presents not only the questions and name of the asker, but also the content of the questions (context, comment from the asker, etc.), so you can read it without actually opening individual questions.

I think it would be nice to introduce this view also to the KudoZ search, so it lists not only the question and the selected answer, but also the question content (as described below) and the content of the selected answer. Or it could be fully configurable, with checkmarks to display the question content, the answer content, the agrees/disagrees to the selected answer, etc.

I hope this might facilitate searching, as it would provide more reference, while still being manageable. It might also please both camps of the "see below" issue, as the searches would be more effective.

And, while I'm here, a subsearch feature would be nice too, ("search the search results"). If the subsearch included also the whole content of the previously found questions (which of course is unfeasible for the general search), it would be even nicer. Just a suggestion, though.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 02:50
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks for the suggestion... May 13, 2005

Have you tried using the search on the KudoZ list page? Would it be possible for us to add something to that to create the type of search you need?

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
But of course! May 13, 2005

It hasn't occurred to me to use the main KudoZ list as a means to find answers to the closed question. But of course it is possible and works quite well. The explanation field is not shown, but this could be easily added?

So maybe instead of three various search options (main KudoZ list, KudoZ search and glossary search) it would be easier to maintain and expand one central KudoZ query facility? Naturally, this would be a radical change, so I would not be surprised if most people di
... See more
It hasn't occurred to me to use the main KudoZ list as a means to find answers to the closed question. But of course it is possible and works quite well. The explanation field is not shown, but this could be easily added?

So maybe instead of three various search options (main KudoZ list, KudoZ search and glossary search) it would be easier to maintain and expand one central KudoZ query facility? Naturally, this would be a radical change, so I would not be surprised if most people didn't like it. Just another idea floating.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 02:50
SITE FOUNDER
Is it the answerer's explanation you want to see? May 13, 2005

Jabberwock wrote:

You can still have it in detailed mode, in which case context is shown. Do you mean you want to see the (selected) answerer's explanation?

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Yes, the answerer's explanation May 13, 2005

Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I was thinking about my original proposal.

I do tend to agree with some opinions in the "See below" forum that the explanations sometimes are key to understanding the answer (although I am against excessive use of "see below" answers).

This is based on my experience. For example, Polish is quite inflected, therefore it is often difficult to pinpoint the right term (as starting with the complete phrase yields no results and entering
... See more
Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I was thinking about my original proposal.

I do tend to agree with some opinions in the "See below" forum that the explanations sometimes are key to understanding the answer (although I am against excessive use of "see below" answers).

This is based on my experience. For example, Polish is quite inflected, therefore it is often difficult to pinpoint the right term (as starting with the complete phrase yields no results and entering stems or fragments yields too many). Subsearches and content/explanation fields (provided by the Asker and the author of the selected answers) would certainly be helpful.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Feature suggestion: Detailed KudoZ search results view

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »