https://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/32317-need_for_a_moderator_for_english_farsi_englishpersian_pairs.html

Need for a moderator for English Farsi, EnglishPersian pairs
Thread poster: Behnam Koleili
Behnam Koleili
Behnam Koleili  Identity Verified
Iran
Local time: 05:14
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
May 13, 2005

Hi everybody,

Unfortunately my language pairs English Farsi, EnglishPersian do not have a moderator. We witness that some people misuse Kudoz and post either too many questions in a short period of time or post long texts as kudoz questions. Also some askers have created several accounts for themselves and every now and then post questions using different usernames or do not log in at all when posting questions.
Recently this situation has deteriorated and today an asker post
... See more
Hi everybody,

Unfortunately my language pairs English Farsi, EnglishPersian do not have a moderator. We witness that some people misuse Kudoz and post either too many questions in a short period of time or post long texts as kudoz questions. Also some askers have created several accounts for themselves and every now and then post questions using different usernames or do not log in at all when posting questions.
Recently this situation has deteriorated and today an asker posted some 30 questions! (English>Persian) in about half an hour and she had posted some 8 questions yesterday.Unfortunately the squash button has been removed, and it makes it possible for some people to misuse Kudoz. The site staff's kind help is urgently needed to stop these unprofessional acts. Also I would like to invite all dear colleagues in these language pairs to propose a moderator.

Thank you all.
Behnam

[Edited at 2005-05-13 20:07]
Collapse

Javier Herrera (X)
Javier Herrera (X)
Spanish
... May 13, 2005

Sorry to hear there's abuse going on. But as far as I know any moderator can deal with it even though they're not directly concerned with the specific language pair.

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 21:44
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Thank you May 13, 2005

Behnam,

You're going to be contacted for more details.

The best thing you could do is talk about it.

Claudia

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 03:44
German to Romanian
+ ...
I also think more moderators are needed... May 13, 2005

...in view of the new changes. How can anyone become a moderator? I have written a mail in the past and just sent one a couple of days ago to Henry, but I haven't received an answer.

Patrick Dotterer
Patrick Dotterer
SITE STAFF
English/Persian pair May 13, 2005

Hello Everyone!

I just noticed this thread and thought I should post a reply about the situation today in the English/Persian pair with the user who posted up to 40 kudoZ questions in a matter of 25 minutes. I did block the user for a week and based the blocking on this rule:

2.4 - In general, askers should refrain from posting a large number of questions in a short period of time. Bear in mind that a question may be send to several thousand people, and use your judgmen
... See more
Hello Everyone!

I just noticed this thread and thought I should post a reply about the situation today in the English/Persian pair with the user who posted up to 40 kudoZ questions in a matter of 25 minutes. I did block the user for a week and based the blocking on this rule:

2.4 - In general, askers should refrain from posting a large number of questions in a short period of time. Bear in mind that a question may be send to several thousand people, and use your judgment.

I also squashed a good amount of their questions, since this was clearly abuse, and furthermore, as you've stated there isn't a moderator for the English/Persian pair to look over these events. But, I promise you that I will keep an eye on it more often now...and I think Javier makes a good point referring to other moderators getting involved.

Regarding the moderator process, or members who are interested in becoming moderators, we here at headquarters are aware of this, but we just haven't come up with an updated process of accepting new moderators. Nevertheless, I will bring it up with Henry next week to see what he has to say.

Well, I hope all of you have a great weekend!

Best Regards,
Patrick
ProZ.com Staff
Collapse

Behnam Koleili
Iran
Member (2004)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Patric for squashing the questions May 13, 2005

Thank you all for your kind attention and replying to this thread. I hope in near future a moderator is selected for these pairs.

Have a wonderful weekend!
Behnam

Cristina Moldovan do Amaral
Cristina Moldovan do Amaral  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:44
Member (2002)
English to Romanian
+ ...
We definitely need a moderator for Persian/ Farsi May 13, 2005

And I think Behnam would be very suitable for that.

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
+ ...
I'm with you May 14, 2005

Hi

Thanks to Behnam for raising this issue here. I too think we need a moderator in this pair or at least a moderator from another pair having an eye out for the happenings of this particular pair.

I see that the same user is again posting questions today.....

Regards
Rahi

[Edited at 2005-05-14 11:47]

Behnam Koleili
Iran
Member (2004)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your support May 14, 2005

Thank you Cristina and Rahi for your support. Unfortunately today the same asker has posted another question using a different username, I suppose these people have registered a dozen usernames for themselves! Even if these accounts are deleted, there still remains the problem of asking questions without logging in! We need to follow it up seriously this time.

Best wishes,
Behnam

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:44
English to Arabic
+ ...
Solidarity between answerers should stop abusers in their tracks May 14, 2005

Even more frustrating than the fact that some people abuse the Kudoz system by posting sentence after sentence within a short period of time, is the fact that there always seems to be someone prepared to devote his/her time to respond to every single one of these questions! I just had a look at the En>Persian pair and found that this is the case here too...

It will probably remain very difficult to stop people logging in with different names to post more questions than is appropriat
... See more
Even more frustrating than the fact that some people abuse the Kudoz system by posting sentence after sentence within a short period of time, is the fact that there always seems to be someone prepared to devote his/her time to respond to every single one of these questions! I just had a look at the En>Persian pair and found that this is the case here too...

It will probably remain very difficult to stop people logging in with different names to post more questions than is appropriate, but we should be able to call upon other contributors to boycott questions which constitute a flagrant abuse of the system. A short note to that effect posted via "Ask the Asker" in each and every one of these questions (time consuming though it may be), will eventually drive these askers away.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need for a moderator for English Farsi, EnglishPersian pairs

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »