Thread poster: Kirill Semenov

Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 20:45
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Jun 16, 2005

I see a lot of marketing kudoZ question which are about translating slogans. I know that the detailed fields range at proZ is not sophisticated, but is it possible to add an individual field for "Slogans" which may belong to Adv/Marketing or Art/Literary general field?

Direct link Reply with quote

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 13:45
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Agree Jun 16, 2005

totally

Nancy

Anabel Martínez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:45
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great idea! Jun 16, 2005

I agree with you, Kirill, that's a different field that requires different skills and help!

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 12:45
Spanish
+ ...
Not an easy question Jun 16, 2005

That's a very good idea. Some people post this kind of questions and make them Easy, as if they were.

leff  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:45
English to Polish
+ ...
Translating slogans for free? Jun 16, 2005

Kirill Semenov wrote:

I see a lot of marketing kudoZ question which are about translating slogans. I know that the detailed fields range at proZ is not sophisticated, but is it possible to add an individual field for "Slogans" which may belong to Adv/Marketing or Art/Literary general field?

It's a very bad idea. Slogans aren't a translator's job - they're a copywriter's job. And it's a very well paid job. If we refuse to translate pieces of text longer than 10 words, i.e. worth no more than $1.00, how can we translate slogans, worth sometimes 100s or even 1000s of USD?

It's more reasonable to translate for free 10 pages of text than just one marketing slogan, I think.

best regards
Leszek

[Edited at 2005-06-16 23:49]

invguy  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
Agreed. Jun 17, 2005

leff wrote:

It's more reasonable to translate for free 10 pages of text than just one marketing slogan, I think.

My thoughts exactly. Ever since I delved into KudoZ, I've been wondering whether translators are actually aware of the value of a slogan's translation. This is not even a copywriter's job: often the adequate translation of a slogan requires extensive knowledge of local market specifics *and* a nation's historical and cultural background *and* the fine nuances of a language *and* a solid experience in marketing/advertising.

The only explanation I have is the homo ludens thing. A play that one can afford. The professional challenge that one can't resist. I've been participating myself, even though I work in the advertising field and am perfectly aware of the value of a good slogan.

Food for thought, indeed...

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 23:15
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Slogan field is a good idea and will benefit translators Jun 17, 2005

Precisely for the reason that leff mentions, it will be a good idea to have a separate slogan field in kudoz categories.

It will give talented and experienced translators who have the skill to handle slogans to stand out from the crowd. If a translator has earned xxx points in the "Slogans" category and this shows up prominently in his profile page, (s)he can use that as the basis for landing jobs that involve slogan development.

As leff points out this will be a much more lucrative field than mere translation. Thus it will help translators to move up the value chain.

[Edited at 2005-06-18 02:48]

Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What I meant was a type of question Jun 17, 2005

Dealing with translations we often meet txt with catchy titles or `slogans' embedded withing it. These are not heading slogans like `I'm loving it' by McDonalds or anything. These are parts of a larger text (usually marketing/advertising), but by `slogans' I basically mean short phrases which are intended to sound catchy.

Anyway, I agree with Leff, this kind of work is a `transcreation', and it should be paid (as a real work) more then a mere translation, but anyway I see a lot of kudoZ questions of the kind, so I propose to create an individual selection for these. Right now, I (me personally) can't find a proper or good field for this kind of questions -- that's all all, and this is the reason why I started the topic.

leff wrote:

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

`Slogan' field (detailed) ?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search