How can I thank the people who agree with a KudoZ answer?
Thread poster: Carmen Craven
Carmen Craven
Local time: 20:39
Italian to English
Jul 6, 2005

I would like to be able to thank the people who agree (peer comment)with a KudoZ answer but can't work out how!
Sorry if this has already been asked but I'm relatively new to ProZ so bear with me...
Thanks


Direct link Reply with quote
 

PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:39
English to Polish
+ ...
White field below each comment Jul 6, 2005

When you have answered a question and somebody supplies a comment, you can open the question again (the link is also provided in the e-mail notifying you of a peer comment).

When you open the question, you will see a white field below each comment to your answer. That's where you write your thanks (or whatever).
You can edit or delete your comments at any time after writing in the original one.

If there are several comments, you can write the answers to all of them and then click the reply button once to save on reloading the page each time...

HTH
Pawel Skalinski


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:39
German to English
+ ...
I wish you wouldn't ;-) Jul 6, 2005

I realize I'm one of the (apparently) few who dislike receiving thank you's for agrees, but unless you have a comment to make, I see no point in it. You can take "politeness" to the extreme.

OK, call me a grouch...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:39
Japanese to English
+ ...
OK, I'll try to remember Jul 6, 2005

Trudy Peters wrote:

I realize I'm one of the (apparently) few who dislike receiving thank you's for agrees, but unless you have a comment to make, I see no point in it. You can take "politeness" to the extreme.

OK, call me a grouch...


I'm sorry if I've offended you before.
Of course, if I repeat the offense and you yell at me, I'll probably remember,


Direct link Reply with quote
 

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 14:39
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

MODERATOR
Increased e-mail traffic Jul 6, 2005

I have given up saying 'thanks' to every agree, because I find it just adds (heavily) to people's inboxes, but I do try to remember those who appreciate it - quite a job If I don't say thanks, please don't take it personally

Nancy


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxCMJ_Trans
Local time: 20:39
French to English
+ ...
Grouch Jul 7, 2005

So I must be another grouch because I only add a comment when I have something to say.
All these "thank yous" make me nervous because it is the asker who should be grateful for all the help given by peers, not the answeres among themselves.
OK call me pragmatic


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxIanW
Local time: 20:39
German to English
+ ...
With Trudy Jul 7, 2005

Trudy Peters wrote:

I realize I'm one of the (apparently) few who dislike receiving thank you's for agrees, but unless you have a comment to make, I see no point in it. You can take "politeness" to the extreme.

OK, call me a grouch...


Call me a grouch too, but I'd rather not stop work to read an e-mail only to discover that it's nothing more than a "thank-you" to an agree which I had made a few hours earlier. Granted, an informative comment often deserves a reply, but otherwise it's just superfluous politeness and unnecessary e-mail traffic.

Manners maketh man, but over-politeness maketh me cringe ...


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Carmen Craven
Local time: 20:39
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Oops - sore point eh? Jul 7, 2005

[quote]CMJ_Trans wrote:

So I must be another grouch because I only add a comment when I have something to say.
All these "thank yous" make me nervous because it is the asker who should be grateful for all the help given by peers, not the answeres among themselves.

Sorry, I meant that I, as an asker of a question, would like to be able to thank those who agreed with an answer(to my question). As I said, I'm relatively new to all this and it hadn't occurred to me that saying thanks would generate oodles of e-mails. Nuff said!!!

However, I don't think that thanking someone for their peer comment is taking politeness to the extreme, I personally just think it's common courtesy. But here we're touching on personal preferences (culture even?) and so we'll just have to agree to disagree on this point!

Thanks to all.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Deschant
Local time: 19:39
You can stop receiving these notifications if you want Jul 7, 2005

Just untick the ticked box with "Notify me if the answerer enters a response".

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Me too Jul 7, 2005

Trudy Peters wrote:
I wish you wouldn't...

Sometimes I feel so lonely that I welcome any email - even spam.
But more often, I receive so many emails that it disrupts my work, and if the mail does not contain any cute comment, a joke or a question, then I try to remember who sent it and avoid to comment on answers from this answerer, as long as I remember his/her name..


[Edited at 2005-07-07 12:21]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
gad
United States
Local time: 14:39
Member
French to English
Sometimes I wish I could turn off ALL email notifications Jul 7, 2005

I just delete most of them, since I reason that anything I need to read I can read by going to the KudoZ question. Also, one reason I started deleting notifications is that I have gotten notifications of "notes", either an "Ask the Asker" (to a question I've asked), or a comment along with the agree/neutral/disagree, AFTER a question is closed. I once had someone practically obsessed with posting to me that I had chosen the "wrong" answer - with which I disagree, and also did not appreciate how nasty this person was about it (eventually I got a mod involved who deleted all the nastiness and just left relevant entries).

Anyway, I reasoned after that that if I don't even read the email about the note in the first place, I don't need to read someone's nastiness - and also if I have closed a question then the CASE is closed, I don't want to get repeated additions, particularly when they are nasty.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:39
German to English
+ ...
Use the "Comments/Thanks" box Jul 16, 2005

Carmen Craven wrote:

Sorry, I meant that I, as an asker of a question, would like to be able to thank those who agreed with an answer(to my question). As I said, I'm relatively new to all this and it hadn't occurred to me that saying thanks would generate oodles of e-mails. Nuff said!!!


When you grade a question, a "Comments/Thanks" box appears where you can write a few words. You could thank the agreers there - others, self included, do. That only generates mail to those who appreciate the feedback (the "Track" function under the question box can be used by whoever is interested in being notified of the outcome of a question).

Before you explained that you are the asker (not an answerer), the others thought you wanted to thank those who agreed with your suggested answer. God forbid!

Ian W. wrote:

Manners maketh man, but over-politeness maketh me cringe


Well put!
Cilian (another grouch)

[Edited at 2005-07-17 01:22]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
pidzej  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:39
Polish to English
+ ...
not only that Sep 18, 2005

CMJ_Trans wrote:

So I must be another grouch because I only add a comment when I have something to say.
All these "thank yous" make me nervous because it is the asker who should be grateful for all the help given by peers, not the answeres among themselves.
OK call me pragmatic


you are absolutely right: the purpose of peer comments is "to help the asker decide", the answerers have nothing to thank for IMO. yet they profer their thanks because (i) they think it's the polite thing to do, (ii) they have not read the "to help the asker decide" instructions; or (iii) they are honestly grateful for the chance that their answer may soon be robot-graded and they will up their KudoZ score.
however, discouraging thanking the agreers would have at least two benefits that I can think of: less noise, and less embarassment to the answerer who politely thanked peers who backed a patently wrong reply but still got thanked for it for reason (iii) above.
afraid it happens every day.
cheers, PJ


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I thank the people who agree with a KudoZ answer?

Advanced search






TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search