Thread poster: Jack Doughty

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:41
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Jul 18, 2005

Could we be provided with the possibility of illustrating KudoZ answers with pictures?

See http://www.proz.com/topic/34812 and
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1092979

Direct link Reply with quote

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:41
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Copyright? Jul 18, 2005

I like your idea but the problem is that pictures often belong to someone.

I have a nice stock photo of a book on my site. Some people are even too lazy to transfer it their own site or to download it from the accredited source. They just deep link to my server and I hate it. When I'm bored I serve them an alternative image.

Linking to the web page with the picture is more civil.

Regards,
Gerard

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 21:41
Spanish
+ ...
I agree with Jack Jul 18, 2005

Occasionally I've posted links of the pictures to illustrate an answer. But I think it'd be better if the pictures were visible. Or at least, a way to differenciate the links for the pictures from regular links. Of course it would also be a good idea to set a limit to prevent any abuse.

Ines Garcia Botana  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Excellent idea! Jul 19, 2005

Jack Doughty wrote:

Could we be provided with the possibility of illustrating KudoZ answers with pictures?

See http://www.proz.com/topic/34812 and
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1092979

This would be something very useful!

Ines

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
yes, it would be useful but... Jul 19, 2005

Gerard de Noord wrote:
I like your idea but the problem is that pictures often belong to someone.
I have a nice stock photo of a book on my site. Some people are even too lazy to transfer it their own site or to download it from the accredited source. They just deep link to my server and I hate it. When I'm bored I serve them an alternative image.

Linking to the web page with the picture is more civil.

Regards,
Gerard

I totally agree with Gerard.

I think there are other ways of doing it without breeching copyrights and using material and bandwidth without consent.

The normal link to the picture would have the main URL, which in a way would be acknowledging/showing where the picture is coming from.
But be careful with these simple links too, because I've seen sites that expressly do not allow it without their consent. In these cases, you should link to the main site and indicate where to look.

If you deep link to a picture without the aproval of the site/picture's owner, you'd be "stealing" bandwidth and most people wouldn't even know the origin of the picture.

My 2p
Grace.

ps. btw, Gerard, your hosting service must provide a way of disabling deep linking...I know mine does...

[Edited at 2005-07-19 08:16]

xxxsarahl
Local time: 18:41
English to French
+ ...
questions too! Jul 19, 2005

good idea, and a picture would be a big help for some of those tough technical questions too.

Romina Minucci
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
I absolutely agree Jul 19, 2005

I've thought about it many times, above all when I had to describe a device before asking a question or vice versa when I wanted to ask a question without perforce posting a link with pictures.

but I kmow nothing about copyright rules...

United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Pardon my ignorance, but... Jul 19, 2005

I don't understand some of the terms being used here. What is the difference between "deep linking" and "linking to a web page"? Is there any difference between these and simply copying a photo onto your own computer and pasting it into ProZ (which was really what I had in mind), from a copyright point of view?
And what is the difference in principle, if any, between pasting into a ProZ forum and pasting into a KudoZ question?

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
deep linking etc. Jul 19, 2005

Jack Doughty wrote:
What is the difference between "deep linking" and "linking to a web page"?

Technically, the difference is that "deep linking" points directly to the picture (or any other object like a page, movie, sound file, etc.) which you are interested in, whereas "linking to a website" points to the homepage of a website.

Economically, the difference is that "deep linking" helps you to avoid any ads, pop-ups, cookies, or other rubbish from that website..

Is there any difference between these and simply copying a photo onto your own computer and pasting it into ProZ (which was really what I had in mind), from a copyright point of view?

Copying a photo and saving it to your computer is really problematic under the view of copyright, because you would copy the actual data and not just a reference pointing to the data.

And what is the difference in principle, if any, between pasting into a ProZ forum and pasting into a KudoZ question?

There is none. But actually you cannot paste any picture into the ProZ.com forum. In your above mentioned KudoZ/Forum example, you pasted an image tag into the forum. This has the advantage that you can see the image immediatly, whereas you would have to first click on it if you only pasted the URL.

So you intended to ask: Why can we do it in the forum but cannot do it in the KudoZ, where it would be at least as useful as in a forum?

In this point I fully agree with you.

[Edited at 2005-07-19 16:06]

United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Harry. Jul 19, 2005

I wouldn't say that all is now revealed to me, but at least I have a better idea of what the terms mean than I had before.

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Yes, please! Aug 15, 2005

sarahl wrote:

good idea, and a picture would be a big help for some of those tough technical questions too.

Yes, I've often longed to be able to post even a simple diagram, to explain a point much more succinctly than a long-winded explanation

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Yes, thanks to both Harry, and Jack! Aug 15, 2005

Jack Doughty wrote:

I wouldn't say that all is now revealed to me, but at least I have a better idea of what the terms mean than I had before.

Yes, thanks to both of you --- Jack for asking the question that I was dying to pose, and Harry for your clear explanations

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pictures in KudoZ answers?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search