Can requirements for edition be posted as Kudoz questions?
Thread poster: Anabel Martínez

Anabel Martínez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:10
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 22, 2005

Maybe I'm asking something really stupid, but, even though I believe this is not quite correct, I'd like to be sure before calling some questions just posted in one of my pairs to the moderator's attention.

More specifically, I'm talking about a user posting whole paragraphs for us to read and see if they are ok. Not sentences, but paragraphs, quite long. I'm just amazed...

Direct link Reply with quote

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
not with that scope Jul 22, 2005

The Kudoz rule is quite clear:

2.2 - Texts posted as KudoZ questions should be no longer than 10 words or so. Longer texts should be posted as jobs. (Jobs > Post a Job)

Posting whole paragraphs for 'editorial comment' is a clear violation of the rules.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
just wanted to be absolutely sure Jul 22, 2005

Thanks, Kenneth, I thought so, but I wanted to make sure, as I was so amazed that someone did that! If we all had it so easy, there would be no such thing as editors

Patricia Lutteral  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
One paragraph or a string of paragraphs? Jul 22, 2005

As with many things in life, I think it all depends...

Is is OK to have a whole job edited by your colleagues? No, it's not, just as it is not OK to have it all translated by your colleagues. However, there are a whole bunch of point grabbers that are more than eager to jump in and provide answers to a string of questions that obviously belong to a job the asker is incapable of doing, because of laziness or lack of skills, it doesn't really matter.

On the other hand, sometimes a really good colleague is struggling with a nightmare of a text, either because it's badly written or because the subject itself tends to be cryptic. I've seen questions regarding obscure history texts, or recently something on Lacan theories. Engineers tend to lack writing skills, to put it mildly...
Maybe the translator has done a very good job, they have translated it but they just want an opinion to be on the safe side. They need to post a rather longish chunk of words, otherwise the meaning is impossible to grab.

So, why would we throw at them the "no-more-than-10-words" rule, which by the way I think applies only to translation? Isn't the whole thing about helping colleagues?? I feel inclined to help a peer in need, we've all been there sometimes. And it's usually very challenging (and fun, I may add)

I haven't seen the postings Anabel refers to, it may be a clear case of abuse and she is more than right in pointing them. My point is that we must exercise our common sense; these things tend to fall in a gray zone and not always can a rule be applied that strictly.

Helping a colleague vs. being taken advantage of, I think there lies the whole point.

Best regards,

Patricia

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:10
It depends... Jul 22, 2005

A while ago, a colleague who seldom asks questions posted a full paragraph, but she only wanted revision of a couple of terms. The full paragraph was posted for reference. Nevertheless, her question was squashed. In this case, I think squashing the question was a mistake.

However, the question Anabel refers to wants editing of the whole paragraph. I think that Anabel was right in suggesting the asker to publish it as a small job, to comply with Kudoz rules.

May be the option of completing small jobs for colleagues free of charge at the "Translation Jobs" section should be specified more prominently somewhere in the "Kudoz" section.

In this way, we might find a balance between respecting the rules, and helping colleagues.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
actually it was 2 long paragraphs in 2 questions Jul 22, 2005

And I just wanted to make sure. Thanks everybody

I really believe there is no bad faith in the asker, probably he or she doesn't know the rule, or maybe I'm totally wrong, but I didn't want to jump on the asker I thought it was abuse, even if the intention was probably "innocent". The asker wanted it to be edited to be sure as to the quality, and I wanted some opinions, because I couldn't find the moderators in that pair due to time zones

As you all pointed out, it's relative and depends largely on common sense. As you said, if a well-known colleague posts an eleven-words-long question, I'm not going to squash it, but there are people who do it without any kind of remorse...

Oh, by the way, one of the questions can no longer be seen, because I squashed it (I posted all of this because somehow I sensed the "good faith"/lack of knowledge of the rules of the asker). I try to help squashing, but only when it comes to repetition!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can requirements for edition be posted as Kudoz questions?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search