Thread poster: Jason Grimes
Holger Thomas
Holger Thomas  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 21:13
English to German
+ ...
Mobbed out? Oct 6, 2005

Hi, I'm a non-member and occasionally used and use the Proz.com "Ask a question"-service. I don't find it a good solution. These are my points:

-Who usually asks questions on Proz.com, the experienced translators or the upcoming ones, who are not members yet?
-What will all the members do to earn their points, which they so bitterly fight to get everuwhere, if ther are by far less questions?

On top of that I must say that Proz.com worked well for me so far, while
... See more
Hi, I'm a non-member and occasionally used and use the Proz.com "Ask a question"-service. I don't find it a good solution. These are my points:

-Who usually asks questions on Proz.com, the experienced translators or the upcoming ones, who are not members yet?
-What will all the members do to earn their points, which they so bitterly fight to get everuwhere, if ther are by far less questions?

On top of that I must say that Proz.com worked well for me so far, while the only reason for not being a full member is the membership-fee which is IMHO by far too high.
Well then, if it is the idea to mob people out like me, then I will probabaly never become a member, ievn if I would have the money.
Sulk, sulk....
BTW: I'm not joking.

Holger.

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:13
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Mobbed out is a bit strong (demonstration) Oct 6, 2005

Holger Thomas wrote:

You can still use the site, as a non paying member, if this is your personal choice, and it remains largely free, including KudoZ, with a reasonable limit of 5 questions per day.

Holger Thomas wrote:
On top of that I must say that Proz.com worked well for me so far, while the only reason for not being a full member is the membership-fee which is IMHO by far too high.

It may continue to work for you even better. Still you can continue to maintain your status of non paying member, if you decide that the extra advantages are not sufficient for you.

I see that you have contributed so far with 59 questions and 59 answers. Both are welcome, valid and necessary to KudoZ.
You have helped and asked for help, when you needed it. This is the KudoZ philosophy.

Holger Thomas wrote:
Well then, if it is the idea to mob people out like me, then I will probabaly never become a member, ievn if I would have the money.
Sulk, sulk....
BTW: I'm not joking.

Mobbed out? Where? This is an extreme elaboration of the new site policy, largely well received, and it will bring up the overall quality of the KudoZ area, attempting to reduce some unfair use by some irresponsible members or visitors.

In any case, when you need help, it will be offered here, and your 1, 3 or 5 questions (max. allowed as a non paying member), will not be drowned amongst other 75 posted by an anonymous visitor or some other shameless member not able to limit himself/herself.

In other words, real translation problems, including yours, will have a chance to be more visible and receive more attention. This is the opposite of being mobbed out. You will receive more attention when you really need it.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2005-12-14 11:39]

Romanian Translator (X)
Romanian Translator (X)
United Kingdom
English to Romanian
+ ...
thank you! Dec 13, 2005

I believe this is a very healthy rule. Prevents some translators from swamping the forum with questions.

Closing the others open questions first is yet another good idea. Thumbs up for the Forum then!

teju
teju  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'm confused Dec 13, 2005

Could one of the moderators tell me how is it possible for someone to have 32 questions open? I thought that once the limits were imposed, this would not be possible, that you'd have to close your pending questions before you could open new ones? Am I missing something?

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:13
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Possible Dec 13, 2005

teju wrote:

Could one of the moderators tell me how is it possible for someone to have 32 questions open? I thought that once the limits were imposed, this would not be possible, that you'd have to close your pending questions before you could open new ones? Am I missing something?

Hi teju,
it is possible to have 32 questions open - the limits are over the number of questions asked daily (5/15, not the number of open questions. Asker have a week (if I remember correctly) to grade a question, so it is possible to accumulate 30 or more ungraded questions. We want all questions to be closed and graded eventually, but we don't want askers to do it too quick, without waiting for all possible replies and agrees to come.

HTH,
Magda

teju
teju  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you Magda Dec 13, 2005

Thank you very much for the clarification.

Karl Archbold (X)
Karl Archbold (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
I ask only 4 questions they didn't let me ask more questions. Jan 27, 2006

Jason Grimes wrote:

As discussed earlier this year, and more recently in this post, limits on the number of questions a member may ask over a 24-hour period have been introduced. The limits are:

1 for non-members
5 for non-platinums
15 for platinums

In addition, askers with 5 or more open questions (older than one week) will not be allowed to ask any further questions.

These limits will be enforced automatically by the system.

If you have any questions or feedback about these changes, please post your comments in this thread.

Best regards,

Jason

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-08-03 17:58]

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
More than 4 old open questions Jan 27, 2006

Hi, Karl!

You asked 4 questions today, but don't forget about your open questions asked in 2005 and 2004. They count, too.

If you close all of your old questions, you may be able to ask another one today.

Jason Grimes wrote:

As discussed earlier this year, and more recently in this post, limits on the number of questions a member may ask over a 24-hour period have been introduced. The limits are:

1 for non-members
5 for non-platinums
15 for platinums

In addition, askers with 5 or more open questions (older than one week) will not be allowed to ask any further questions.

These limits will be enforced automatically by the system.

If you have any questions or feedback about these changes, please post your comments in this thread.

Best regards,

Jason

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-08-03 17:58]

[Edited at 2006-01-27 22:15]

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
German to English
Closing/grading questions Jan 27, 2006

Mihai is right, Karl. You need to close the questions you asked weeks ago. Another suggestion: have you visited the Spanish language version of ProZ.com? I think it would help if you read the preguntas frecuentes about KudoZ under KudoZ Ayuda.

teju
teju  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Now I'm really confused! Jan 29, 2006

A while ago, Magda wrote and said that the limit was for the amount of questions asked each day, not the amount of open questions.

Now Kim and Mihai said that the open questions count towards your limit too. Which is it? There are open questions from months and years ago that look like they will never be closed. In the Spanish forum, someone has started an initiative to try to close all the forgotten questions by posting the URLs and having people provide agrees or other answers, ho
... See more
A while ago, Magda wrote and said that the limit was for the amount of questions asked each day, not the amount of open questions.

Now Kim and Mihai said that the open questions count towards your limit too. Which is it? There are open questions from months and years ago that look like they will never be closed. In the Spanish forum, someone has started an initiative to try to close all the forgotten questions by posting the URLs and having people provide agrees or other answers, hoping they will be closed. I think it's a nice effort, and there are a lot of people helping him.

Kim Metzger wrote:

Mihai is right, Karl. You need to close the questions you asked weeks ago.
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
German to English
Open questions Jan 29, 2006

Thanks for posting this, teju. I know that the original plan was to include open questions: "In addition, askers with 5 or more open questions (older than one week) will not be allowed to ask any further questions," but I guess it hasn't been implemented yet. Magda is probably right.

Angel_7
Angel_7  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Difficulty with new rules Apr 20, 2006

I assume the new rules have been introduced to make it easier for more experienced members. I sometimes need to ask 6 or 7 questions a day as I am a beginner. Under the new rules I can ask only 5. Some days I ask none at all. Shouldn't this be taken into account? I realise we need to stop people asking a ridiculous number but I am finding the current restriction difficult. By the way, how do I search for a term in the Proz terminology datbase?

Sarah

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
searching for terms... Apr 25, 2006

Sarah390 wrote:

By the way, how do I search for a term in the Proz terminology datbase?

Sarah

Kudoz -> Proz-com term search

Then just follow the instructions on field, language pair, and so on.

Jakub Radzimiński
Jakub Radzimiński
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Disgusted Apr 27, 2006

I just wish to add that I did not care about the limits, for I did not have to ask so many questions. Most of them I could find via KudoZ search or in the dictionaries, BUT, today the day came - I HAVE to ask the 6th question in 24h. So what to do? I'm going to create another account, as simple as that. Go on, ban my IP, delete all my accounts, what's the use?

These limits are plain stupid. They are too low. There were too many questions in some language pairs? Show me the guy that
... See more
I just wish to add that I did not care about the limits, for I did not have to ask so many questions. Most of them I could find via KudoZ search or in the dictionaries, BUT, today the day came - I HAVE to ask the 6th question in 24h. So what to do? I'm going to create another account, as simple as that. Go on, ban my IP, delete all my accounts, what's the use?

These limits are plain stupid. They are too low. There were too many questions in some language pairs? Show me the guy that points the gun at you and tells you to answer all of them.
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Membership available Apr 27, 2006

Jakub Radzimiński wrote:
...I HAVE to ask the 6th question in 24h. So what to do?

Dear Jakub,

I'm glad that you find KudoZ useful enough to use it up to the limits. Maybe you could consider taking out a membership to support the site; in that case, the added benefits include a threefold increase in the number of KudoZ questions you can ask per day.

And all of this without breaching the ProZ.com rules you've agreed to adhere to, something that would only hurt you in the end anyway.

Kind regards
Endre
ProZ.com member

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Limits have been instituted on the number of questions one can ask in 24 hours

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »