https://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/35520-two_new_term_search_options_available_for_testing_1_prozcom_term_search_and_2_web_term_search.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Two new term search options available for testing: (1) ProZ.com Term Search and (2) Web Term Search
Thread poster: Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 11:45
SITE STAFF
Aug 10, 2005

We have for some time offered a variety of term search options with overlapping functionality. This led to some confusion. Now, we have combined our various term search functions into two distinct options: ProZ.com Term Search and Web Term Search. Both are available for beta testing now; we invite your input to improve upon these before release.

ProZ.com Term Search

The ProZ.com Term Search is a one-stop function for searching:
(1) The
... See more
We have for some time offered a variety of term search options with overlapping functionality. This led to some confusion. Now, we have combined our various term search functions into two distinct options: ProZ.com Term Search and Web Term Search. Both are available for beta testing now; we invite your input to improve upon these before release.

ProZ.com Term Search

The ProZ.com Term Search is a one-stop function for searching:
(1) The KOG (i.e. "KudoZ Open Glossary" = the collection of KudoZ terms that have been categorized, marked PRO and explicitly entered into the KOG)
(2) The KudoZ archives (i.e. previous questions and answers not necessarily entered into the KOG)
(3) Member personal glossaries

When relevant, links to glossaries outside of ProZ.com (pulled from GlossPost) may also be provided in the results.

Features of the "ProZ.com term search" not previously available include:
- The ability to search for a whole word or for word "stems"
- The ability to search for multiple words or an exact phrase
- The ability to search by detailed fields
- The ability to search all language pairs at once (this is available to platinums only)
- A limited ability to transliterate accented characters on the fly (e.g. searching for "publica" will return results containing "pública" as well). To disable this feature, select the "match exact phrase" option

Improvements have also been made in speed and appearance over our current term search options.

To test, go here: http://www.proz.com/search/

Web Term Search

The "Web Term Search" is a one-stop location for simultaneously searching not only ProZ.com, but also various terminology resources on the web. Among the resources searched are:
(1) Reference sites such as Ectaco, WordReference, Leo, Pons, etc.,
(2) Machine translation sites
(3) Search engines such as Google, MSN, Altavista, Lycos, etc.

Other services such as this exist on the web. However, the distinguishing feature of this service is that the searches are performed simultaneously to maximize research efficiency.

Please let us know if there are any browser-related issues with this option.

Test it here: http://www.proz.com/?sp=asearch
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:45
Member (2004)
English to Italian
very good... Aug 10, 2005

works beautifully (Firefox 1.0.6.) Congrats.

Giovanni

[Edited at 2005-08-10 15:51]

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:45
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Great Aug 10, 2005

Works nice on IE 6, XP.
Thanks a lot

Siegfried

Maria Diaconu
Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 18:45
English to Romanian
Thank you Aug 10, 2005

The new feature looks nice, and it also makes me consider going Platinum, as it is so annoying and time-consuming to enter the two languages

I also like the idea of personal glossaries rotating.
Congrats, and keep up the good work!

cmwilliams (X)
cmwilliams (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
A great improvement Aug 10, 2005

Thanks!

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Especially when you work in one pair... Aug 10, 2005

Maria Diaconu wrote:

The new feature looks nice, and it also makes me consider going Platinum, as it is so annoying and time-consuming to enter the two languages

... and we save the settings.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
No problem by Aug 10, 2005

Opera 8.02

Good job!

Thks

df49f (X)
df49f (X)
France
my screen too small? Aug 10, 2005

Jason Grimes wrote:

Web Term Search
(3) Search engines such as Google, MSN, Altavista, Lycos, etc.
Please let us know if there are any browser-related issues with this option.
Test it here: http://www.proz.com/?sp=asearch[/quote]

Hi
the search works fine for me but on the home page, left column, it's impossible to scroll down below the title "Search engines" (bottom of my screen) to select or unselect.
I use IE.
regards, - df

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Fantastic! Aug 10, 2005

Another excellent improvement - Proz is getting better every day!

No probs at all with Windows XP and IE.

Claudia Luque Bedregal
Claudia Luque Bedregal  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Spanish
+ ...
Excellent idea! Thank you Aug 10, 2005

The term search worked all right, but in the web term search I couldn't scroll down below the title "search engines" (left column, bottom of the screen).
regards!
clb

Roman Paslavskyy
Roman Paslavskyy  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 18:45
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Super! Aug 10, 2005

I've just checked it. It's great. One more link in my bookmarks now.

Thanks a lot!

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
Jeepers! Aug 10, 2005

As an old song used to say, more or less, Jeepers, creepers....where’d ya get them... "ideas"? These new features are simply fantastic and they work beautifully. My Platinum membership is worth every dollar.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
It´s amazingly good Aug 11, 2005

Thank you Proz.com staff. Brandis

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
scrolling down Aug 11, 2005

clb wrote:
but in the web term search I couldn't scroll down below the title "search engines" (left column, bottom of the screen).

Jason,
This has been a glitch since the day this interface was put it. You couldn't scroll down the left column as there's no scroll. Some words and boxes appear truncated. They reappear only when you, say, deselect the "search engine" box and start searching. Perhaps insert a scroll on the right border of the left column?
M

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Great improvement Aug 11, 2005

Jason Grimes wrote:

Dear Jason,

This is a great improvement. Thank you! The one-stop function for searching is indeed very useful and time-saving. But what I appreciate most is the ability to transliterate accented characters. For people translating from/into Romanian I think this is very important because we don’t have to search the same term twice any longer (I mean, with and without diacritic signs).

However, there is a small problem with the entries in Unicode. The search does not seem to return the results in Unicode, regardless of whether one writes the words with or without diacritic signs.

And speaking about Unicode, could you please tell us a couple of things about it? Should we use it on Proz.com? If yes/no, why?

Thanks in advance!

Mihai

[Edited at 2005-08-11 10:15]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Two new term search options available for testing: (1) ProZ.com Term Search and (2) Web Term Search

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »