Check if you think this term should be marked as a good question
Thread poster: writeaway

writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Aug 17, 2005

Whatever is this and what's the point? Is it just a bug (I hope)?

This is apparently now an 'option' that appears when you click to answer a question. Fwiw-the little 'A' next to it gives an error message.



[Edited at 2005-08-17 06:57]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:12
English to German
+ ...
Work in progress Aug 17, 2005

Hi,
ProZ.com staff are currently working on a new KudoZ release; looks like some elements have already found their way into production. (Not a full rollout yet, which is why you may get an error message in particular places.)

Give them a couple of days, and the new features will be explained properly. Thanks for your patience.

Best regards,
Ralf


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:12
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
Huh? Aug 17, 2005

Wot?? So now there's a survey on which questions we think are good ones? That's certainly subjective. What's a good one to me might not be a good one to you. What's the point?
And while I appreciate that an explanation will be forthcoming, perhaps the explanation should PRECEDE a new feature rather than follow it.
Catherine


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 14:12
SITE FOUNDER
This is a feature from the upcoming release Aug 17, 2005

Oops - this is a feature from the upcoming release that made it into production. The idea is that by voting, we can highlight questions of particular interest. Just something to experiment with...

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:12
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
And once they're highlighted? Aug 17, 2005

Then what happens? We can keep track of them? We can keep track of who asks what we think are good ones and bad ones?
Catherine


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:12
Member (2004)
Italian to English
I'm missing something... Aug 17, 2005

Where's the check-box you're talking about? I can't seem to find it!

Direct link Reply with quote
 

writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
go to a question and click on 'answer' Aug 17, 2005

JL Baker wrote:

Where's the check-box you're talking about? I can't seem to find it!


you'll see it as an option.

Up to now, we're not supposed to comment on the choice of question so I don't really understand this .


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 14:12
SITE FOUNDER
Not for tracking... more like "check this one out" Aug 17, 2005

cbolton wrote:

Then what happens? We can keep track of them? We can keep track of who asks what we think are good ones and bad ones?


No, there is no tracking associated with these... about what it will amount to, for now, is a small icon or text that shows in the list of questions, or in certain email notifications, that says "Good one!". So basically, it is a way to say to colleagues, "this one is worth a look".

Thanks for the feedback, by the way!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:12
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
Not sure I like the idea Aug 17, 2005

I think this opens the door to a lot of the very subjectivity you've tried so hard to eliminate. You know, "disagrees" shouldn't have nasty comments, no personal attacks (I hear that some SC's are quite, uhm, trying). Let's be honest. There are lots of sensitive egos in our line of work. I can already imagine comments like "what, you didn't think I asked a good question?" and things of that sort.
And, again, I just don't see the point of it. If there's a question I think is worthwhile I can send the link to the people I think might be interested. To me it just seems like yet another box to check.
Catherine


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:12
German to English
Agree with Catherine Aug 17, 2005

People already get worked up when their Kudoz answers aren't selected, and are annoyed that their Browniz aren't credited. In theory, selecting "good" questions is a nice idea, but I think the webmasters' good efforts might be better directed elsewhere.

Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxtazdog
Spain
Local time: 20:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
superfluous Aug 20, 2005

I found my way to this thread because I was really puzzled by what the "I think this is a good question" button was all about, and didn't see the answer in the announcement of the new Kudoz features (maybe I missed it in the midst of everything else). I agree with what others have said--this is really unnecessary and very subjective. Out of curiosity, I clicked on a couple of the questions that were marked with "Good one!" in the Kudoz list, and didn't find them any more interesting than most of the other questions. Sort of irritated me that I even wasted my time looking at them. I'd just get rid of this feature--I don't think it contributes anything.

My 2 cents


Direct link Reply with quote
 

writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the whole site has gone mad.......... Aug 20, 2005

Cindy Chadd wrote:

I found my way to this thread because I was really puzzled by what the "I think this is a good question" button was all about, and didn't see the answer in the announcement of the new Kudoz features (maybe I missed it in the midst of everything else). I agree with what others have said--this is really unnecessary and very subjective. Out of curiosity, I clicked on a couple of the questions that were marked with "Good one!" in the Kudoz list, and didn't find them any more interesting than most of the other questions. Sort of irritated me that I even wasted my time looking at them. I'd just get rid of this feature--I don't think it contributes anything.

My 2 cents


seems like this was just the tip of the iceberg. have read through all the new "changes" and wish they had just stuck with this useless feature. am dismayed at what's going on.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
gad
United States
Local time: 14:12
Member
French to English
I don't see the harm in something positive Aug 20, 2005

cbolton wrote:

I think this opens the door to a lot of the very subjectivity you've tried so hard to eliminate. You know, "disagrees" shouldn't have nasty comments, no personal attacks (I hear that some SC's are quite, uhm, trying). Let's be honest. There are lots of sensitive egos in our line of work. I can already imagine comments like "what, you didn't think I asked a good question?" and things of that sort.
And, again, I just don't see the point of it. If there's a question I think is worthwhile I can send the link to the people I think might be interested. To me it just seems like yet another box to check.
Catherine



Catherie, I don't know if you have noticed, but this site has certainly been tolerating VERY nasty comments - which are highly unprofessional, btw, and certainly SHOULD be against the rules and have NOTHING to do with "sensitive egos", it has to do with ignorance and unprofessionalism on the part of those posting such incredibly nasty comments.

So what is the harm in saying that a question is good? People run around this site saying which questions are NOT good, what could the possible harm be in saying something positive for a change? It's not like it's a box that says to check it if you think it is NOT a good question (which, I bet, a lot of those posting those nasty comments would fully support).

I don't get it. How can you not see the point of something positive but excuse nasty comments as being due to "sensitive egos"? That seems completely backwards to me, and NOT in the spirit of collaboration and encouraging and helping one another.

[Edited at 2005-08-21 00:27]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
gad
United States
Local time: 14:12
Member
French to English
Is this only for answerers? Aug 23, 2005

I was looking for this option on certain questions, and didn't see anything - so I gather that this is an option available when one answers a question? I must not have noticed when answering recently.

Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Check if you think this term should be marked as a good question

Advanced search






SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search