Thread poster: Tina Vonhof

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:08
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Aug 18, 2005

I find the split of kudoZ questions into Pro and Non-Pro very frustrating, especially when looking for my own questions or a question from someone else that I want to re-visit. The designation Pro and Non-Pro is subjective at best and it is obvious that askers (including myself) often don't even pay attention to it when posting a question. Please leave it up to us to choose the questions that we want to see and/or answer. Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:08
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
And yet you just supported me when I asked for the reclassification of a question Aug 18, 2005

The Pro/Non-Pro distinction is indeed subjective. There might be reasons why a pro has to ask Non-Pro questions, although I can't think of one at the moment.

Lately I've started to ask for reclassification of questions I deem too easy for professionals among themselves. It's a - not so subtle - way to vent that the asker should have the resources to look up the term. I believe I need three peers to back me up before the reclassification is executed. That looks fair to me.

There was another thread on this subject not long ago and one of the remarks I liked best was about the fact that even KudoZ professionals often disagree about the right answer to a Non-Pro question.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't dare to ask a Non-Pro question on this site, but there are (legacy) reasons why Non-Pro questions still can be asked, by members and non-members.

I'm all for leaving it like it is for at least a year.

Kind regards,
Gerard

Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:08
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Too many 'Pro' questions classified as 'non-Pro'. Aug 18, 2005

Thank you for bringing this topic up.

I think the Pro/nonPro distinction is still confusing for many people. "Easy" questions are asked by translators for help in doing a job, and they often get a variety of answers. This in itself should be evidence that the question is not "easy".

I have answered and received points for quite a few questions that are classified 'non-Pro', but which should really be 'Pro'. There is an option to vote to reclassify as 'Pro', but many times this option is simply not used, or does not get the required 3 votes, even if the question should be classified as 'Pro'. Sometimes a question I have answered does not get any other answers, or even agrees, and no votes for reclassification, yet I am awarded the points for my correct answer and the question remains classified as 'easy'.

Requiring 3 votes for reclassification is too many if the question is one which few people answer or comment on.

Canada
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Aug 19, 2005

I guess I did not make myself clear. I am not objecting to having a Pro and Non-Pro designation, even though we all agree that the distinction is very subjective and we could probably do without it. Some people seem to define Pro as 'being asked by a professional translator' and others define it as 'needing a professional to answer it'. At the very least we should clarify what it means.

But the reason I posted this thread is that I find it frustrating that recently the questions have been split into two separate lists, instead of one list for both Pro and Non-Pro questions. Worse yet, if you choose to look at, say, the Non-Pro list, your settings are saved and the next time you log on, you automatically end up with that list again. The other day I wanted to grade one of my questions, didn't remember whether I had called it Pro or Non-Pro, and it took me quite a while to find it. I think we should be able to see all the questions and then make up our own minds which ones we want to look at further. I am interested to know what others think.

Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Save Settings Aug 19, 2005

Tina Vonhof wrote:
The other day I wanted to grade one of my questions, didn't remember whether I had called it Pro or Non-Pro, and it took me quite a while to find it. I think we should be able to see all the questions and then make up our own minds which ones we want to look at further. I am interested to know what others think.

I think you just answered your question. To view all questions, pro and non-pro, select "All" for "Category" in the Kudoz list page. Click on "Save Settings". The system then remembers your settings.
M

Canada
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oops! I didn't see it. Aug 19, 2005

Marcus Malabad wrote:

I think you just answered your question. To view all questions, pro and non-pro, select "All" for "Category" in the Kudoz list page. Click on "Save Settings". The system then remembers your settings.
M

Oops! My apologies. I didn't see the ALL option.
Thank you Marcus!

I think the debate about Pro vs. Non-Pro is an interesting one and should continue. I think what is needed in the first place is a clear definition of what it really means.

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Look at the new KudoZ dashboard Aug 19, 2005

Hi Tina,

Your question was clear. Looking back, I just read the parts I wanted to read

Go to http://www.proz.com/?sp=kdb&sp_mode=notifications

I think the new KudoZ dashboard will allow you to make the settings you want.

Regards,
Gerard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Split of kudoZ questions into Pro and Non-Pro

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search