Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32] >
Comprehensive KudoZ update released
Thread poster: Jason Grimes
Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:25
Spanish to English
the kudoz glossaries Aug 23, 2005

Thanks for making the effort, but...
As a major user of the kudoz glossary search feature I think I can't understand how all those miniscule little categories are going to help. My language is one of the really big ones, and so I occasionally need to specify technology or law or whatever, and I now I can't. Please, please return to the large categories in the search glossaries feature!
In fact, I think I prefer the old the format for the kudoz search.

And I have to agree
... See more
Thanks for making the effort, but...
As a major user of the kudoz glossary search feature I think I can't understand how all those miniscule little categories are going to help. My language is one of the really big ones, and so I occasionally need to specify technology or law or whatever, and I now I can't. Please, please return to the large categories in the search glossaries feature!
In fact, I think I prefer the old the format for the kudoz search.

And I have to agree with the other commentators on the native-speaker requirement for answering questions. When I ask a question I'm glad of all the contributions I get, when I look in the glossaries it is good to see all the other answers, not just the one selected as correct, the more the better. And as an answerer I have occasionally had the right answer in Spanish because I'm always translating that term in the other direction, and on at least one occasion a phrase was translated thanks to a combined effort between native-speakers of the two languages.

Why so many restrictions?
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 04:25
SITE FOUNDER
You do not need to specify a field Aug 23, 2005

Lesley Clarke wrote:

Do you realize you do not have to specify any category? Are you looking at the ProZ.com Term Search, at http://www.proz.com/pts , or the KOG? The KOG is meant only to be browsed...

María Eugenia Wachtendorff
María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
I HAVE BEING USING ALL FEATURES WITH DELIGHT, AND I LOVE THEM ALL! Aug 24, 2005

Just one lazy-Kudozian's suggestion (maybe I am not the first to say this, but there are too many pages in this forum to read them all):
I usually thank agreers after a while, and I miss the possibility of hitting "Send" just once when several colleagues have supported my answer.
This is not important, but it takes longer than before, that's all.
I would also like to state that I have got several new clients through Proz.com in the past few months.
THANK YOU, GUYS. OUR SI
... See more
Just one lazy-Kudozian's suggestion (maybe I am not the first to say this, but there are too many pages in this forum to read them all):
I usually thank agreers after a while, and I miss the possibility of hitting "Send" just once when several colleagues have supported my answer.
This is not important, but it takes longer than before, that's all.
I would also like to state that I have got several new clients through Proz.com in the past few months.
THANK YOU, GUYS. OUR SITE IS GROWING AT AN AMAZING PACE. I'M SOO PROUD OF YOU!
Collapse

Heidi C
Heidi C  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Option to add definition and sentence Aug 24, 2005

First of all, congratulations for the whole update. Also, I'm really impressed with how fast you make the changes suggested!!!!!!

As I already said, I LOVE the option to write in definitions. I think it is a very important feature because it really makes the glossaries more reliable while it also allows the asker to make an informed decision.

My only suggestion is that there is a way to access these windows later on, not only the first time when you answer with your sug
... See more
First of all, congratulations for the whole update. Also, I'm really impressed with how fast you make the changes suggested!!!!!!

As I already said, I LOVE the option to write in definitions. I think it is a very important feature because it really makes the glossaries more reliable while it also allows the asker to make an informed decision.

My only suggestion is that there is a way to access these windows later on, not only the first time when you answer with your suggested term. Sometimes one is thinking or checking and comes up with more, or better, definitions after the initial response. (Or you decide to support your suggestion or make a clarification to some other answer)

Thank you and keep up the great work!!!

Heidi

[Edited at 2005-08-24 05:13]
Collapse

Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:25
Czech to German
+ ...
Bug in simplified view? Aug 24, 2005

Jason Grimes wrote:
Karlo Heppner wrote:
1. The whole layout is too complicated, too many things to observe when answering questions.

Try the simplified view if you find the advanced view too complicated. Just click the [Switch to a simplified view] link at the top of any KudoZ question.

I just came across the new outfit after holiday and wanted to see an answer (http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1122987) in "simplified view" (to tell the truth, I don't like the "advanced" one, IMO it's far too overloaded and complicated - who needs to know all this when just needing an answer?) but there only the box with the explanation appeared, no translation of the term asked at all. The translation itself was visible only in advanced view, is this a bug?

Maybe a similar question had already been answered but I did not want to scroll through all the pages of this forum (it's time-consuming!). Would it be possible to introduce a search function for this one, available directly from this page?

Apart from this, I'm sorry to say but unfortunately I have to agree with Klaus Herrmann ("Overall, I think it's a major step away from the open place I was so much attracted to. Excuse me for putting it in very plain words, but I'd rather put up with a few foul plays than an abundance of rules, regulations and filter settings."). I'm sure you wanted to make things better but couldn't it have been done less complicated?

Charlotte

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:25
German to English
+ ...
Problem with IE 6.0 and Acrobat Reader 6.0 Aug 24, 2005

I downloaded and installed the new toolbar (great idea, BTW), but since then, Internet Explorer started crashing as soon as I clicked on a PDF file in Google. I have to use AR 6.0 because one of my programs refuses to work with AR 7.0. Everything went back to normal as soon as I deinstalled the toolbar. Has anyone else had this problem?

Explorer indicated a problem with mshtml.dll.

Cheers,
Jill

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:25
Spanish to English
Reply to Henry Aug 24, 2005

Henry says "Do you realize you do not have to specify any category? Are you looking at the ProZ.com Term Search, at http://www.proz.com/pts , or the KOG? The KOG is meant only to be browsed..."

I do realise that, the only thing is that sometimes if a word is normally very common I would like to be able to restrict it to Tech/Engineering or Law/Patents, for example, as I was able to in the past. I thi
... See more
Henry says "Do you realize you do not have to specify any category? Are you looking at the ProZ.com Term Search, at http://www.proz.com/pts , or the KOG? The KOG is meant only to be browsed..."

I do realise that, the only thing is that sometimes if a word is normally very common I would like to be able to restrict it to Tech/Engineering or Law/Patents, for example, as I was able to in the past. I think the much smaller categories that have replaced these are too small for that purpose.

I presume all the glossaries are only for browsing.
Regards and thanks for the otherwise excellent site.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Comprehensive KudoZ update released

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »