Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32] >
Comprehensive KudoZ update released
Thread poster: Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 04:09
SITE STAFF
Aug 19, 2005

Note: There are many posts in this thread. Feel free to post without reading everything that has already been posted. I'll be cleaning up the thread, removing repeats and also non-repeats, as I address them.

You've been speaking, we've been listening - and a KudoZ update is now underway! Among our goals in this update:

* To improve the functionality and the convenience of KudoZ search and the KudoZ Open Glossaries (KOG)

* To
... See more
Note: There are many posts in this thread. Feel free to post without reading everything that has already been posted. I'll be cleaning up the thread, removing repeats and also non-repeats, as I address them.

You've been speaking, we've been listening - and a KudoZ update is now underway! Among our goals in this update:

* To improve the functionality and the convenience of KudoZ search and the KudoZ Open Glossaries (KOG)

* To enhance the professional environment of KudoZ

* To provide members with an ability to be more selective about whose questions, and whose answers, they see or receive

* To make it easier to obtain the benefits of KudoZ participation (networking, directory exposure, learning), at a pace that suits you

* To put alternative KudoZ formats at the disposal of askers, including the requested "not for points" option

* To make more statistics available to those who want them

* To provide new perks for platinum members

Specific changes made:

General features
- New KudoZ "Dashboard" for controlling flagged/filtered askers (see below) and preferences related to KudoZ email notifications
See: http://www.proz.com/dashboard
- The dashboard provides an option to subscribe to daily notifications of questions and answers in your pairs and fields (platinum only)
- A new personal statistics view (under the profile KudoZ tab) offers answerers and askers more details on their KudoZ histories

Search and browse features
- The various term search options have been simplified and broken into two resources: (1) ProZ.com Term Search, and (2) Web Term Search. Both options are more flexible and faster than previous search options. Consider bookmarking or remembering the two URLs:
=> ProZ.com Term Search: http://www.proz.com/pts
=> Web Term Search: http://www.proz.com/wts

- Released a KudoZ toolbar for Internet Explorer and Firefox to give convenient access to search terms and ask KudoZ questions. Download it here: http://www.proz.com/toolbar

- The KOG has been made available in all languages, and now allows members to agree/disagree with glossary entries, and also to enter example sentences and definitions. This gives us a foundation for creating a wiki-type terminology resource that will become increasingly valuable to the ProZ.com community over time. See: http://www.proz.com/kog

(For those who are not familiar with "the KOG"... KOG stands for KudoZ Open Glossary. This resource provides an option to browse PRO-level KudoZ terms that have been explicitly entered into the glossaries.)

Asker features
- Added a preview step to the KudoZ asking process, in which similar previously-posted terms are shown.
- Askers may direct their questions specifically to answerers who meet criteria such as "works in pair", "specializes in field", "is native in target language", "is platinum member", etc. (This preference is shown, but anyone may answer.)
- Added option for askers to specify that their KudoZ question is "not-for-points"
- Added option to specify dialects (source and target) when asking.
- Added option for askers to respond selectively to answerers with notes on their answers
- Added option to direct questions to one or more known members

Answerer features
- Both basic and advanced modes are provided for viewing KudoZ questions.
- A dashboard feature--"flags"--allows answerers to get special notification/display of questions from particular askers.
- A dashboard feature--"filters"--allows answerers to decline notifications/display of questions from particular askers.
- Answerers may now specify dialect when answering.
- It is possible to set viewing preferences so that you see questions from only certain types of askers (registered askers, platinum askers, etc.)

Limits
- There are now limits on the number of questions that a member may ask over a 24-hour period. The limits are: 1 for non-members, 5 for non-platinums and 15 for platinums. (This was announced in general terms early in the year, and specifically in May - http://proz.com/post/230481#230481 )
- Requirement to close: A person with 10 or more open questions (older than one week) is not allowed to ask further questions until grading is completed.

Beta-testing new KudoZ design
- To allow for the display of all of this new information and to make KudoZ easier to use, we are also testing out a new KudoZ design. To preview this new design, click the [Beta test new design] link at the top of any KudoZ question.

In addition to the above, you will notice a number of new features designed to make KudoZ more useful and convenient.

In future releases, we will focus on improving the quality of translations entered into the KudoZ archives.

Your feedback based on use of the above features in practice would be appreciated!
Collapse

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:09
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Close your internet windows and reopen them Aug 19, 2005

I had to close all the IE windows I had open and then reopen them. The toolbar was then visible. If that doesn't work, try restarting your computer.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 05:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
STATS in Kudoz (?) Aug 19, 2005

I am a Platinum since April 2005. However, when I try to see my STATS: "The KudoZ statistics page is a platinum only feature".
(?)

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:09
German to English
Great stuff, Jason Aug 19, 2005

Lots of fine, new features. But I just noticed that I have no problem looking at my own stats in Profile->KudoZ>Stats but cannot see stats for other folks. When I try, I get the message: KudoZ statistics page is a Platinum only feature.

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:09
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
I still cannot see it Aug 19, 2005

Rebecca Hendry wrote:
I had to close all the IE windows I had open and then reopen them. The toolbar was then visible. If that doesn't work, try restarting your computer.

Seems that it was installed OK, but I don't see it (Windows XP Pro) and even when if I look into it's directory I cannot see an executive file to start...

[Edited at 2005-08-19 16:05]

Karlo Heppner
Karlo Heppner  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:09
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Extremely annoying Aug 19, 2005

My first impression
is that of having changed a lot what makes things confusing and dropped worthful functions.

1. The whole layout is too complicated, too many things to observe when answering questions.

2. I cannot click on the name of an answerer and get to his profile. Annoying.

3. Too many kinds of glossary searches. Confusing.
The answers I get in 3 categories. Confusing.

I can´t even search only my own glossary. Annoying.
... See more
My first impression
is that of having changed a lot what makes things confusing and dropped worthful functions.

1. The whole layout is too complicated, too many things to observe when answering questions.

2. I cannot click on the name of an answerer and get to his profile. Annoying.

3. Too many kinds of glossary searches. Confusing.
The answers I get in 3 categories. Confusing.

I can´t even search only my own glossary. Annoying.

In general my first impression. Changes were made two rapidly , all at once. By adding too many functions it´s confusing for the user.

Proposal: Let the fundamental structure as easy a s possible and add the additional functions as(hidden)options.

A layout must be easy and clear and not overloaded with a lot of functions the users do not need normally.
Collapse

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:09
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Aha. now I see it Aug 19, 2005

Sorry, people, I've just noticed the toolbar in my IE. My apologies -- it works!

[Edited at 2005-08-19 16:13]

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 05:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Toolbar OK, Glossaries, mmm Aug 19, 2005

I just installed the toolbar. It works fine. A wonderful feature, quick search. However, I happen to run into my own glossary and it does not have my name, it just say "non-platinum member". However, I HAVE BEEN A PLATINUM SINCE APRIL 2005. Besides, it`s MY glossary, isn`t it? And - furthermore- it used to be under my name. I assume it must be some kind of bug.

Can any of site staff members help, please?

thanx.

[Edited at 2005-08-19 19:08]

[Edited at 200
... See more
I just installed the toolbar. It works fine. A wonderful feature, quick search. However, I happen to run into my own glossary and it does not have my name, it just say "non-platinum member". However, I HAVE BEEN A PLATINUM SINCE APRIL 2005. Besides, it`s MY glossary, isn`t it? And - furthermore- it used to be under my name. I assume it must be some kind of bug.

Can any of site staff members help, please?

thanx.

[Edited at 2005-08-19 19:08]

[Edited at 2005-08-19 19:09]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Comprehensive KudoZ update released

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »