Why does 'Hide answer' now require a reason?
Thread poster: Klaus Herrmann

Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:08
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Aug 21, 2005

I'd be curious to hear why the 'hide answer' button requires a reason - is it to prevent accidental deletion of an answer, as I'm sure most of us have experienced, or is there a more "serious" background? TIA, Klaus

Direct link Reply with quote

Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
I don't see a change Aug 21, 2005

Hi Klaus,
I do not see a change. I click on Hide this answer, it becomes grey and after renewing the page it says "This answer is made invisible to others".
What happens if you click on Hide answer?

Curious Steffi

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:08
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
I think Klaus is talking about the "Beta test version", right? Aug 21, 2005

Tuliparola, you are probably looking at the "V3" version. It seems that only the "Beta test version", which you have the option of switching to, has this. I agree it seems unnecessary. But I am glad to see that there is a "Restore answer" button.

Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Beta version, right Aug 21, 2005

A restore answer button? Very nice, thank you.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Hi Klaus Aug 21, 2005

I think it is good that a reason for hiding is required. When there was no such requirement, people often clicked the hide button by mistake. Now you have a possibility to consider what are you doing

gad
United States
Local time: 20:08
French to English
I hadn't noticed that Aug 21, 2005

But I hope this is not the case. I don't use this too often, just once in a long while, but still, I don't think I would like this change.

I have never accidentally clicked on "hide answer" and I'm really not sure how someone could, either.

Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nice refinement Aug 22, 2005

gad wrote:
I have never accidentally clicked on "hide answer" and I'm really not sure how someone could, either.

It happened to me, and it's quite easy. Add a note to your suggestion and don't pay much attention to the button you're about to click...

Thanks for the confirmation, Natalie.

Leo te Braake | dutCHem  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
There are reasons... Aug 25, 2005

Klaus Herrmann wrote:

I'd be curious to hear why the 'hide answer' button requires a reason - is it to prevent accidental deletion of an answer, as I'm sure most of us have experienced, or is there a more "serious" background? TIA, Klaus

The reason I have hidden an answer has always been that for some reason it appeared twice.
But in the past I have also encountered quite naive answers to questions that were no longer visible after some time. People who shoot from the hip might use this hide-function to cover up their lack of quality. If they know they must give a reason they might think a bit longer in the race for the quickest but also most ridiculous answer.

I would appreciate if the possibility to edit answers was changed the same way. Recently people have (well, one man has) been quite offensive in their (his) comments, and when their (his) comment was answered to the most offending part was removed, leaving the answer very inadequate. I would be glad if I could ban this man from answering my questions AND commenting on my answers that I give to other people's reply.

So far my idea's

Pablo Grosschmid  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
reason for hide not necessary Aug 25, 2005

now that "unhide" is awailable

Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:08
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...

5 Questions regarding KudoZ "Hide answer" option Feb 26, 2010

Dear All,

I'd appreciate your explanation & feedback. I've been trying to find answers all over the site without success. All my questions directly relate to the KudoZ 'Hide answer' feature.

1. Why even bother to *require* a reason for hiding an answer if I can type *anything* in the "Hide this answer (reason required)" field, e.g. 'changed my mind' or 'found better answer' etc.
2. Who will be able to read what I enter in the "Hide this answer (reason required)" field? Is there anyone at all who handles these entries?
3. What is the purpose of hidden answers if no one can see them but the answerer? Why not simply delete these unwanted answers?
4. If in fact there IS someone else (besides the answerer) who is able to read hidden answers, who could that be?
5. A ProZ.com member ('M') & KudoZ leader uses the following method: M submits the (usually incorrect) answer > receives 'disagrees' from peers + reads other answerers' suggestions and references they found + reads the discussion about the term > M hides the initial incorrect answer > posts a new one based on others' joint efforts > M's answer is selected as best answer (usually automatically or because the other answers have at least one 'disagree' -many times from M!- while M has none). Is this fair/ethical? Is this the purpose of the "hide" feature? If not - can this be prevented?

Many thanks in advance for your responses.
Ildiko

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:08
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
5 answers - as far as I know them Feb 26, 2010

ildiko wrote:
1. Why even bother to *require* a reason for hiding an answer if I can type *anything* in the "Hide this answer (reason required)" field, e.g. 'changed my mind' or 'found better answer' etc.

I think there are two reasons for requiring an explanation. One is to prevent someone from accidentally clicking on the Hide button: the field is empty by default so the answerer is forced to think before actually hiding the answer. Since there is no "Unhide" function, clicking the Hide button could have unwanted results. The other reason is for administrative tracking purposes - since there are rules against unfair use of KudoZ, requiring/providing the reason for hiding the answer assists in case of any suspicion of abuse.

ildiko wrote:
2. Who will be able to read what I enter in the "Hide this answer (reason required)" field? Is there anyone at all who handles these entries?

Moderators and site staff can see "hidden" KudoZ answers.

ildiko wrote:
3. What is the purpose of hidden answers if no one can see them but the answerer? Why not simply delete these unwanted answers?

See answers for question #1 and #2, and also the answer for question #5, below.

ildiko wrote:
4. If in fact there IS someone else (besides the answerer) who is able to read hidden answers, who could that be?

See answer for question #2.

ildiko wrote:
5. A ProZ.com member ('M') & KudoZ leader uses the following method: M submits the (usually incorrect) answer > receives 'disagrees' from peers + reads other answerers' suggestions and references they found + reads the discussion about the term > M hides the initial incorrect answer > posts a new one based on others' joint efforts > M's answer is selected as best answer (usually automatically or because the other answers have at least one 'disagree' -many times from M!- while M has none). Is this fair/ethical? Is this the purpose of the "hide" feature? If not - can this be prevented?

Hiding answers is not against the rules. This is explained in the FAQ:

"3.5 - Why does the word "Hide" appear in my answer boxes? [Direct link]

You are allowed to hide your own answers. This is a way to retract answers."
So, I think this explains the purpose of the "Hide" feature.

As to posting multiple answers, the following rule applies:
"In general, an answerer should submit no more than one answer per question. Occasional exceptions are allowed, but users are not permitted to make a habit of providing multiple answers to single "help" KudoZ questions."
http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_answ/3.3#3.3

At the same time, general site rule #2 states: "No action aimed at gaining unfair advantage in KudoZ, the directory or elsewhere, whether taken alone or as a group, will be tolerated.
http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/2#2

So, if you suspect abuse, you should report it. Moderators/site staff will investigate it. The fact that answers are hidden and not completely deleted, and also that there is a required reason for hiding the answers help them in their investigation. This way it is clear who submitted what and when, who hid what and when, etc and the series of events can be reconstructed fairly easily. So, I think this adds to the answers for your previous questions about why the reason required, who can see what, and why the answers are not completely deleted.

By the way, if someone overuses the "Hide" function, he/she will work against him/herself in a sense that the hidden answers will be counted in his/her KudoZ statistics, lowering the ratio of given answers vs. accepted answers.
More explanation can be found in the FAQ, see the relevant entries from 3.5 - 3.8 here:
http://www.proz.com/faq/terminology_term_help/kudoz/answering.html#why_does_the_word_hide_appear_in_my_answer_boxes_

I hope this explains a few things.
Katalin

Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:08
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...

Nothing left to say... Feb 26, 2010

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:
I hope this explains a few things.

Katalin,
A "few things"? You have addressed ALL of my questions and concerns with your timely, up-to-the-point, factual and pro answers. Thank you very much for your amazingly useful post!
All good things to you,
Ildiko

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Not only, but also... Feb 26, 2010

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

ildiko wrote:

Moderators and site staff can see "hidden" KudoZ answers.

... the Asker receives the reason too. Many moons ago, thinking it was only mods, if anyone, who read the reason, I posted a very cathartic if somewhat rude rant about Askers who who tell half the story, and add vital info as a casual afterthought half a day later. I later received an email from the Asker demanding an apology.

I suppose it is fair enough. The Asker has probably seen the answer, and possibly started to use it, so I guess they ought to know why they can't (shouldn't?) actually select it as their final choice.

Anne-Marie Grant  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
@ Charlie Feb 26, 2010

That's a priceless cautionary tale. I had no idea askers got this information.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why does 'Hide answer' now require a reason?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search